Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Unseen frontier" (Page 22)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: "Unseen frontier"
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, clearly, the only solution is to add war. Lots of war.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seconded. Lots of war is good - and good for business.

OTOH, if this means we get to see more of the lesser known models we were dicussing a while back, than I think we can live with the tradeoff. We can always rewatch DS9 battle episodes!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could do a 'Where's Wally/(Waldo in the US)' and have the Defiant on every page ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, wait! The Defiant really IS there in every picture. It's just cloaked! Yeah, that's it!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
folks, you have no IDEA how much war is in this book! There is so much phaser fire I think the book will be hot to the touch... It's just that these particular skirmishes don't involve very much Defiant action.

Mojo

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::drools::: [Big Grin]

Seriously, I don't mind in the least, based on Mojo's descriptions. I'd much rather see new (unseen!) ships than just more shots of the Defiant.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
folks, you have no IDEA how much war is in this book! There is so much phaser fire I think the book will be hot to the touch... It's just that these particular skirmishes don't involve very much Defiant action.

Mojo

Of course, one "Unseen Frontier" you could haeve shown would be the yards where Starfleet is constructing various prototype Borg Buster ships, including the Defiant. Area 51 in space hee hee.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrneutron:
Of course, one "Unseen Frontier" you could haeve shown would be the yards where Starfleet is constructing various prototype Borg Buster ships, including the Defiant. Area 51 in space hee hee.

The Valient-Class lives! ;-)

You could use a bunch of conjectural/rejected sketch ships such as the U.S.S. Nova, complete with quasi defiant details and launchers, from before they made it into a science vessel. Or some of the other early defiant stuff, personally I liked the defiant painting that showed a pair of underslung intakes.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that the popular topic is more towards battles and wolf 359 and that sort of thing, and I realize that the contents of the book are probably pretty well thought out at this point, but I just had a really cool idea. (Wish I'd thought of it earlier.) [Frown]

What if you were to show a shot of the meeting of UFP, Romulan, and Klingon representatives form the first time at Nimbus III (from STV) in 2267? It would be so cool to see a shot of the planet, with a Connie, Bird of Prey, and D-7 in orbit, side by side. You could use (mainly) pre-existing cgi models since you have the TOS-style Connie and BoP, and the D-7 could probably be modified from the K't'inga. It would sooooooo rock!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure one of the old model kit boxes has exactly that illustration...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there was a kit that was a set of miniature Connie, D-7, and BoP models, and had a pic of the three of them on the box, but don't you think it'd be a cool addition to the book? (Or a book?)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be exactly those ships, but I do have a shot in the book of a Federation, Klingon and Romulan ship working together...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When things were much simpler - back in the hey days of TNG - I remember seeing "The Chase" for the first time - everyone had their distinctive 'main' ships and phaser colour and transporter pattern, ship colour and nacelle glow. I loved how we got The Enterprise, A Klingon Vorcha, Romulan Warbirds, Cardassian Galors and even a Yridian vessel! All we needed was a Ferengi ship!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mojo
Member # 536

Anybody with a Next-Gen style uniform live near Los Angeles or Las Vegas and want to be in the book?

Speak up.

Oh yeah, Klingons too!

Mojo

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may pipe up and attempt to smush people's hopes.

From what I've seen of photos of the dress-up-as-characters crew, even the most uber-hardcore fans who go all-out with the painstakingly hand-tailored replica uniforms and makeup and the like, have, in my experience anyway, always still looked a little lacking in the realism department. It strikes me as odd, Mojo, that you're demanding better-than-TV grade CGI models for the shippy goodness then turning around and asking for what will almost certainly be far-less-than-TV-grade human models.

I've heard that the staff Klingons at the Star Trek Experience have a half-decent makeup budget behind them. Mightn't you expect better-grade stuff there?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps