Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Unseen frontier" (Page 23)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: "Unseen frontier"
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Mojo - I've never EVER seen a "good enough" fan costume - although some do GREAT jobs. Even the 'models' that model the purchaseable uniforms don't look right.

I'd get out those 'people' computer programmes first... what's it called "Poser" or something...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheesh, offer some people a fun opportunity and all I get is negativity! Where is the love?

Of course I'm well aware that most fan costumes suck. But, then again, you guys are commenting beore you even know what my planned usage is, so bite me :-)

Mojo

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you are going to do a scene where the bodies of weird 21st century youngsters called "Trekkies" are discovered aboard a cryostasis satellite of the type we saw in "The Neutral Zone"? [Razz]

Or the bloody aftermath of a pitiful attempt by smooth-headed Klingons to infiltrate Starfleet Command, poorly disguised as Starfleet officers? [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a guy at a convention once, in a home-made silk, light blue tos uniform and those BIG Spock ears - you know the ones the go over the ENTIRE ear like the nerdy kid in Martin's "Refuge of the Damned" on the Simpsons ;o) Didn't look good. *shiver* ;o)

Maybe people could do a REALLY good job, but not your usual 'Trill' or 'Bajoran' or 'Klingon' - lets get some of those Aliens from TMP, TVH and TFF out ;o) How about photographing action figures!?! ;o)

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most fan uniforms are meticulously researched (or devised, because many come up with their own uniform schemes) but the main problems lie in the fitting of the clothing. The guys modeling the shirts look awful because they are just really expensive halloween costumes. If someone took in the waist a little, or made sure the sleeves werent a foot too long you might be able to work with it.

I am saying all this in denial of my knowledge of the second problem with fan costuming, the physique of the fan i question. I can offer no solution. (Except of course mine, which was stop eating fast food and move around a little and lost me 30 pounds or so, to where i can successfully disguise myself as a 'normal' person.. but that is kind of long term)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, one of the things about the mass-production costumes is that they're essentially *shirts*. This was sorta okay for the TOS uniforms, but for everythign in the TNG era this just didn't make sense anymore. Half of them don't have shoulder pads, and the other half tend to have the epaulets that are too pointed.

Every fan gets an "E" for effort, though. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Mojo, you mentioned Andy Probert giving you the plans for the ?scorpion? work bee and something else a hopper or something? Is there any plan for you to do that cool looking shuttle with the door at the front? There are also a few other auxillary craft that would be interesting to see, there was the tiny little shuttle in Spacedock that we saw in "11001001" [TNG]

Andrew

--------------------

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to liven this thread up!

I'm working on rough drafts of the images for the book, and I spent a little too much time on this one... but be kind - it's still rough. I just thought I'd share :-)

As always, leave it here - no sending it around!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that's sweet. Looks way more detailed than the cheapo McKinley model they used in the show (and no offense to the original model builder of course, but the McKinley model really wasn't all that great - especially with the GCS model sitting under it!).

Well done, Mojo!

Mark

[ January 30, 2002, 00:57: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work Mojo! I always liked this type of spacedock more than the latticeworks one, like the one they used for NCC 1701 in st tmp.
Say Mojo, is that a launch-bay up in front?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Mojo. One small nitpick - the bussard collector on the Galaxy doesn't look quite right somehow. It's the only thing that still looks "fake" (obviously CGIed). Otherwise, I'm impressed!

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]

I love the detail on that thing! And I agree, I've always liked the McKinley Station design more than the old TMP drydocks -- they look much more interesting.

Very nice. If this is what you call a "rough draft," I'm going to have to be very careful when I finally get to reading "Unseen Frontier." Otherwise, I'll have a heart attack! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps