Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's Answer the Wolf 359 Questions!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know - that Galaxy looks like it has 2 gaps - i.e. three words. The first USS (duh) the second two - they look like James Kirk!! The J and the two K's seem to appear!?!

BTW, Mojo - this Galaxy that appears... I'm guessing not finished?? (would a Galaxy Class be hanging around sector 001 - Picard did mention in "Conspiracy" that it was highly unusual for a ship like the Enterprise to return to Earth! I'm guessing half built? Major Damage? Anyway - maybe a good effect would be to not have too many lights on... (depending on how deep into battle they are) I can't see these ships having many lights on... especially in the saucer section. I hope we return to the "round" shields (if we see shields) Does your Galaxy model separate!?! Although I don't think that it would have cause Picard/Locutus was fooled by Riker in BOBW part II. What else is there that get usually overlooked in Trek about what these ships would be doing in combat?? Phasers from turrets we never see get used (i.e. the ones on the nacelle pylons on the Mirandas a la STII:TWOK. Photons... have we seen any photons in still pics... could we have a few of those cool "shards of light" torpedoes that we saw in the TOS movies... and again in "Flashback" - I loved them - they looked so much more powerful than the 'blobs' seen in First Contact or the 'blobs with starry bits' seen in TNG.

Something else... did the fleet make MUCH of a dent on the cube? how long did the cube take to regenerate in Q-Who? How long was the time period between The Battle of Wolf 359 and the next time we see the cube (cause we saw no battle damage)

Also someone asked a question in the other 'questions' thread about why did the Excelsior Melbourne destruct/breakup so more quickly than the Saratoga... other than story/drama I would say that maybe the Melbourne had been in battle a lot longer than the Saratoga?

ALSO Did the Melbourne ever get a new Captain!?! Riker was supposed to be the new Captain... but he hadn't exactly REFUSED by the time of Wolf 359 - so did the Melbourne go into battle with out an experienced Captain!?! Infact maybe this was a problem, maybe the mad scramble for ships left many ships that might have been 'mothballed' with skeleton/unexperienced/unqualified/untrained crewmembers!?! Maybe some of the Engineers of UP/McKinley/SanFran/Luna drydocks offered to help to fill positions!?! Maybe Academy students DID serve!?! Maybe only one ship - and maybe only final year cadets and/or "Red Squad". They needed relatively experienced crew... that 'fleet' must have been VERY rag-tag.

[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Admiral Hanson aboard the Melbourne?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was never confirmed, however; some people (including me) like to believe that he was on the Melbourne.

--------------------
Meh

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way Shelby said, "...The Melbourne." when she was listing destroyed ship she saw on the monitor...it implied something important, like that was the admiral's ship in addition to being the ship the Riker was offered. It's also been speculated that the Melbourne was the ship they both met the Enterprise aboard, hasn't it?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The beat there was bacuse, when the Melbourne was destroyed, it meant Riker wouldnt be going there as captain and Shelby wouldnt get to be first officer of the Enterprise. she was just being disappointed about her career

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admist all that death and destruction, she's worrying about her career? I think she probably didn't expect to live that long.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, would you be at liberty to give us an e-mail address for Gary Hutzel (or someone else who would know), so's we can ask him/them about the Glaxy from the pic?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
It was never confirmed, however; some people (including me) like to believe that he was on the Melbourne.

I think someone even went as far as to say that the cut-out in the Admirals transmission in BOBW coincides with the Melbourne being whacked in Emissary. (boom)

This theory may have a problem or two, I don't recally how far into the battle the transmission was supposed to be. Didn't the Admiral say they were about to fall back? Because it appears that the Melbourne was destroyed in the first few minutes of the battle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched BoBWII on the weekend actually, and the dialogue went something like: "The fight does not go well, Enterprise. We're attempting to withdraw and regroup. Rendevous with fleet-- "

From Hanson's dialogue, it certainly seems that Hanson had ordered the fleet to retreat to some point away from the scene of battle. As the fleet started to retreat (or started trying), Hanson got on the phone with the Enterprise and that's the last we see of him. In any case, assuming the scenes from "Emissary" are indeed at the beginning of the fight, there's no plausible way he'd be on the Melbourne. Since there was at least one other Excelsior-class ship at Wolf 359 (the Roosevelt), he could have easily been on that one or any other older ship; we know that Admirals like to ride around on Excelsiors (and "All Good Things" says that Admirals get to choose their own ship) so it needn't be the ONLY Excelsior we actually see.

So what was hanson trying to say when he was cut off? Almost anything, really...

"Rendezvous with fleet at coordinates..."
"Rendezvous with fleet task force two..."
"Rendezvous with fleet support ships at..."

This last one poses an interesting quesiton - what if there was a number of unarmed fleet tenders or repair ships that were not part of the combat line? What if there were ships there to help repair ships in the event of a prolonged battle?

This also leads to the question of how long Starfleet was EXPECTING the battle to be. Most people think that the fight was over in a matter of minutes - but what if Starfleet was banking on the Enterprise's previous experience and expecting a long battle broken up by frequent pauses for repair and conferences?

Mark

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting it was "Rendezvous with fleet at coordinates..." 40 ships is hardly enough for a prolonged battle agains the Borg. And being that close to Sol, I don't think any support ships would have been brought along. You either won and went home under your own power, or you died.

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: David Templar ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily -- remember that the Enterprise was playing hide-and-seek in that nebula for almost a whole day. Of course, we know that the Borg were after Picard.

But I'm guessing that Starfleet was expecting a rather drawn-out battle. Hanson's demeanor in the pre-battle message was fairly confident. Everyone expected that forty starships would be able to take out the single Borg ship. Because the Federation was undoubtedly the most advanced power in its corner of the galaxy, and Starfleet was the most powerful, most dedicated, and most prepared interstellar organization known. Forty ships against one invader? Those are comfortable odds for the Federation.

Of course, we all know how that turned out...

At the very least, I'm sure that the Wolf 359 fleet expected to engage the Borg for several hours in a strong holding action. Given the Borg's power against the Enterprise, I'm sure they had no illusions about a quick victory, but they also had no doubt that they'd ultimately win. They probably expected to stop the cube and wear it down with their combined firepower, and eventually destroy it. (Like they managed to do in "First Contact.")

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I welcome a Galaxy in the battle at Wolf 359, finished or unfinished.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're saying that Hanson was on an Excelsior-class vessel and that vessel was the Melbourne, then could the Excelsior that had the entire forward half of its primary hull ripped off be the Roosevelt? Or maybe Hanson was on the Roosevelt - it is an older ship than the Melbourne and Admirals tend to get given older ships to traverse the Federation.

Did that make sense? [Confused] I'm not sure! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
If we're saying that Hanson was on an Excelsior-class vessel and that vessel was the Melbourne, then could the Excelsior that had the entire forward half of its primary hull ripped off be the Roosevelt? Or maybe Hanson was on the Roosevelt - it is an older ship than the Melbourne and Admirals tend to get given older ships to traverse the Federation.

Did that make sense? [Confused] I'm not sure! [Big Grin]

All we know is that if Hanson was aboard the same Excelsior that met the Enterprise at New Pacifica, then it probably wasn't aboard the Melbourne. Since the ship that had had it's saucer blown off was clearly marked as the Melbourne.

He could have been aboard the Roosevelt, or any other Excelsior-Class ship that may have been present...then again he could have transfered to another ship entirely, we simply don't know and we never will for sure.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But IIRC the Excelsior that brought Hanson to that first colony was never identified. So it doesn't really matter...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps