Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 12)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not confusing anything.. you keep thinking im talking about your episode. In Pathfinder, Barclay worked in the building where he was running the holo-Voyager, and he had to run away from the security dudes Cmdr Hawkins sent after him to activate the MIDAS array. when they showed an exterior shot, it was a big office building with the Starfleet logo built into it. A shuttle flew by, and it didnt look like the speedboat. seemed type 6 to me

[ February 25, 2002, 15:20: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a type-6 that flew past Starfleet Communications HQ (in Hong Kong?, I heard somewhere that is where the real building is)
The type-9 was the one that took Barclay to Jupiter Station.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had a type 6 on Voyager. It was the Sacajawea. I think the episode was Coda, but I'm not sure. Other than that the only other time we saw a type 6 was the NCC-71325 shuttle from the pilot episode (where some say it was also labeled as NCC-74656) and an episode where Tuvok crash landed on a planet where the people grew backwards. They used the type 6 shuttle set (we saw the exterior with the type 6 shuttle nacelles), but I think it was supposed to be a type 8 shuttle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a type 6 in "Demon" as well - which is a bit surprising, since the scenes didn't really call for a full-sized prop, so they could have used the type 8 model there.

And yes, every time they needed a full-sized crashed shuttle, they of course used the type 6 prop. I haven't seen "Coda", but in "Innocence" (the one with Tuvok and the backward-aging "kids") there was no pretense that the shuttle would be type 8.

I also think that "Raven" had a series of scenes where a shuttle magically transformed between types, but that's another one I haven't seen.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that was "Coda". When flying it was Type-8 recycled footage, when crashing it was a Type-6 in opticals and on the ground.

Wasn't a Type-6 also seen in "Parallax"?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction. Most of "Coda" was a dream sequence anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter that much... "Parallax" AFAIK only used the type 8 model, as there was no need there for a full-sized prop. Of course, the cockpit was type 6, but that doesn't count sicne there was no type 8 cockpit. But I think that towards the later seasons, the type 9/12/whatever interior was sometimes used for type 8 shuttles as well... ("Alice" would be the final watershed, since after that there wouldn't BE a type 6 cockpit any more!)

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the name of the episode where Neelix died and realized there's no life after death? I the end, he planned to commit suicide.

Whatever it is, it showed the type 6 shuttle for the last time. I know it because I watched the episode two hours ago. The interior was still type 8-diagrams and everything, but the exterior shots inside the nebula where they wanted to collect protomatter showed a type 6, definitely. And it was CGI (the 'used' texture made it look dirty and old, damn fine work, BTW). It had the strange naming scheme only Voyager used so far (below the cockpit window, we usually had only the name in TNG-times. Voyager established the name/number/mothership scheme they use for this one, too.) and it definitely had a name. Maybe this one was supposed to represent the shuttle that brought Stadi and Paris to the ship in 'Caretaker'? At least one this becomes more evident with this new 'old' appearance: the shuttle replicator was obviously only used to replicate the type 9-shuttles. Soon after they had used some of them we never saw them again (season 2/3). Maybe this one was just a reserve.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An addendum to this thread: Several pages ago Shik said the Rio Grande was destroyed, early on in DS9...

Well he was right.. in the holosimulation of a Jem'Hadar attack in the beginning of "The Search," i believe the Rio Grande was destroyed.

[ April 09, 2002, 11:59: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? [Confused]

I have the episode on tape, and I don't recall anyone mentioning a destroyed runabout during the holosimulation or even one happening. In the simulation, Sisko, Dax, O'Brien, and Bashir take the Rio Grande against orders to destroy the wormhole and do so, but soon afterwards are awaken by the female Founder on Odo's order. The Rio Grande was never destroyed.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Voyager had several Type 6 shuttles, especially during Raven where Seven's shuttle morphed from a Type 6 to a Type 8.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they will respond to that, Mike...the thread is nearly two months old.

[ April 09, 2002, 19:36: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

capped
Member # 709

it always stuck in my head that Shik said that without offering any explanation..

BTW, in the opening of the show there was a holosuite simulation of Kira and O'Brien simulating an attack on the station to see how they would fare against the Jemhadar. Im not talking about the Vorta simulation in part II.
I dont have the tape, but the novelization follows it word for word (in that part anyway) so im assuming the line from the book is also a line from the show, where O'Brien says the Rio Grande has been destroyed (offscreen, which is why you wouldnt have seen it). if it wasnt there, then sue me

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

No, the line wasn't there in the aired episode, so the Rio Grande still wasn't destroyed. Won't sue you though...would be a waste of time, effort, and money.

Anyway, seeing as these are only simulations, it doesn't matter much with continuity.

[ April 09, 2002, 20:09: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC it was the Rio Grande that crash landed in "The Ascent". But since Quark and Odo survived the crash, I always assumed the runabout was salvageable.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was not. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps