Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 9)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well regardless of the Latin word, the English spelling is pylon. I once tried sprinkling my posts with bits and pieces of dead languages, but to no avail. The ladies were unimpressed.

BTW i find the concept of replacing a Nebula or Galaxy's upper cargo bay doors with runabout elevators quite sensible..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the Latin word is, but the Greek word is "pylon" (pi-upsilon-lambda-omega-nu).
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that the only place in the world where Latin is spoken as a language is the Vatican, it seems of little consequence.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Considering that the only place in the world where Latin is spoken as a language is the Vatican, it seems of little consequence.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

OK, OK. But why did I learn this 'dead language' for four years? I hate my life. [Frown]

So the central p(h)ylon can't be removed. Shuttlebay 1 is 'only' two decks tall. Maybe they could do it the aircraft-carrier-way. Using several decks below the flight deck for storage. Who needs dolphins in large aquariums? [Roll Eyes]

And I don't buy the theory that pilots could easily navigate around the pod section. Because we know for sure the standard pod (the triangular thing sitting on one central phylon) is not the only possible pod. What about the Phoenix? They had to fly through the two phylons below the dish above the stardrive. And if they'd set fire to the pod we could use it as a circus attraction. And I'm sure there are some other variants, too.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. they could not fly towards it at all.. they could fly out of the bay and turn left or right, and head into open space.. there is a fair amount of space for that. (granted the whole point of the shuttlebay should to be not to point at another part of the ship, but the nebula is a kitbash..)

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they speak Latin in the Vatican. They haven't done Catholic masses in Latin since the '60s, after all...

And as for learning a "dead" language for four years... If you know Latin, you have a much easier time picking up on Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, and a few other languages.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know if they carry on casual conversations with it, but the Vatican is listed as the one place on earth where Latin still exists as a spoken language.

And of course, learning Latin can have its benefits as you mentioned (though most people learning it probably already know at least one language derived from it, which serves as a far better stepping stone to others than raw Latin itself), but essentially it's useless when it comes to direct communication with other people. Actually, that can probably be debated, but this doesn't really seem like the place.

Anyway, if one goes around saying "phylons" people are only going to laugh, and gradually become rather annoyed...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"but essentially it's useless when it comes to direct communication with other people. Actually, that can probably be debated, but this doesn't really seem like the place."

Mildly entertaining anecdote which I partially remember:

My old Latin professor went on a trip to Europe several years back, primarily to Rome but they stopped over in Greece. He was in Athens, Greece at one point, and had decided to roam about and explore on his own.

While doing so, he bumps into a Frenchman and an Italian at a museum, both professors I assume. They'd just met, and were both trying to use their knowledge of ancient Greek to understand what the hell the tour guide is saying about the ancient Greek things around them, and in the process are speaking ancient Greek to each other since neither knew the other's language. My professor didn't know Italian or French, and at this point knew only a little ancient Greek, but not enough to keep up, so he tried Latin. They both knew it and so they all converted over to that for the conversation.

It sounds like a joke ("So a Frenchman, an Italian, and an American walk into a Greek museum and start speaking Latin . . . "), but he swore up and down it was true.

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He just tells that story to get you to listen and do your latin studies in the hope that some day it will help you communicate with another human being.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokca:
He just tells that story to get you to listen and do your latin studies in the hope that some day it will help you communicate with another human being.

I'd have thought so, but I overheard him in a bar retelling the tale.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I don't think they speak Latin in the Vatican. They haven't done Catholic masses in Latin since the '60s, after all...

And as for learning a "dead" language for four years... If you know Latin, you have a much easier time picking up on Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, and a few other languages.

I learned both Italian and French for two years. It really helped understanding the italian language, but it didn't make french much easier. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

OK so weve established you can't spell and some European nations have languages that are similar, and religions too. Great.

Bernd.. on the subject of shuttles. The Enterprise 1701 actually had three shuttles Galileo:
Galileo NCC-1701/7 -- destroyed in "The Galileo Seven"
Galileo NCC-1701/7 -- destroyed in "The Immunity Syndrome"
Galileo II NCC-1701/7 -- seen in "The Way to Eden"

Apparently after the first was destroyed it was replaced with a new one of the same name and registry, but after that second one, it was decided to relabel it Galileo II, probably because they realized they would keep losing them because they were cursed.

Me, I'd rather take the Rio Grande anyday...

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, but the Rio Grande was destroyed early on in DS9. Seems they forgot about that.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

please specify.. the Rio Grande made it through all 7 seasons?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Wild guess is that the RG model was used to stand in for a different runabout that got destroyed. But I don't know if that's true, or if it's what he's talking about.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps