Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Rio Grande had never been destroyed. There is some confusion about the ships in DS9's 7th season (one Runabout with no established name and some runabout-appearances where no name has been given), but the Rio Grande survived them all. Yangtzee and Ganges were destroyed during the first two seasons. I think the last known appearance of the Rio Grande was 'Treachery, Faith and the Great River', but I think it would have been a nice touch if the Rinabout carying Sisko to Bayor at the end of WYLB was the Rio Grande, too.
Besides, what was the name of the Runabout seen (and destroyed) in 'The ship'? I think it has been established that DS9 must have had 4 Runabouts since season 4 because the Rio Grande and Rubicon were still in use at that time and the Yukon was seen prior the episode, too and destroyed in 'By Inferno's Light'. The only possibility is the Volga, introdiuced in late 4th season, but still there has to be another Runabout because later, in 'By Inferno's Light', there were four of them.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I remember that Rio Grande had gone boom early on in S1 (& NO, I'm NOT thinking of Yangtzee Kiang) & that when it'd shown up again later on I was all "buh?" Seems they glossed that over as well.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, there's no listing of it being destroyed. I think it was just a funny thing that the Rio Grande survived throughout the run of DS9.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, do you remember the episode title or at least what was happening in the episode?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, wasn't that the Ganges and the the Rio Grande?

Wasn't the runabout that Sisko took the Rio Grande in WYLB?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious - if the Rio Grande is the 'safer' ship ;o) what ship did Ben put Jake on during the DS9 evac in "The Circle"!?! There might be a conspiracy here people! ;o)

Also, I know that there are SIX runabout pads, we've heard a-f mentioned throughout the show... we seem to ALWAYS here about "Runabout Pad C" but anyway - this might point to more than three runabouts - which would make sense - why stop at three... it was just that there were three initially.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd assume that one or two bays might be put aside for guest ships or all those workbees and whatnot. We even hear the DS9 contingent includes a shuttlepod in one episode, although I forget which one. (When commenting on how few problems he has had that day, Sisko cheerfully says a pod is missing at some planet of the Bajoran system. I can only assume the pod was stolen on the surface when the driver was elsewhere, or else Sisko should look MUCH more worried, since there would be a man missing, and probably in mortal danger!)

Then again, as we see in "In the Pale Moonlight", a bay has plenty of room for both a runabout and a guest ship. There could easily be a dozen runabouts stored aboard the station at a time.

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to the DS9TM there are three small and three large bays (the larger type was seen in 'In the Pale Moonlight', for example.) They'll definitely leave one or two bays to the visitors of the station. But all together, they could store 9 Runabouts. When the Romulan guy arrived in ItPM, we saw a Runabout parking behind his (cool looking, BTW) shuttle.

And 'Quark's Treansure' had its own bay, too (the shot was later reused for the episode where the ferengi try to rescue moogie as Brunt's ship.)
And there was another runabout destroyed in 'Empok Nor', also not listed on any chart. With the ship from 'The Ship' (another curious ship, as I mentioned above), the possibility of haveing more than three, maybe more than four ships at a time is more than possible. But then there is the question why they only used the 3 shuttles to defend the station in 'In Purgatory's Shadow' + the one (Rubicon?) used by Garak and Worf in the gamma quadrant.
The only thing for sure it the fact they only had three runabouts on DS9 until 'The Way of the Warrior'. (Seen in several episodes, 'The Maquis', for example, and mentioned in dialogue, as far as I remember.)
Maybe Venture brought some further Runabouts. [Wink]

[ February 20, 2002, 05:00: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect Sisko took a close look at his attrition figures and decided to order wholesale the next time... And then the attrition went down because everybody started hogging the Rio Grande flight hours, so Sisko was up to his armpits with Runabouts. The solution? More up-yours missions to the Gamma quadrant, to see if the Jem'Hadar were *still* pissed off about UFP trespassing. And a convenient layover (monthly ashtray cleaning or something) for the Rio Grande for the duration.

One wonders if there are more facilities for small craft on the station than just the six Runabout bays. Where did that big cargo door open in "Dramatis Personae"? It might have been on the inner wall of the outer ring, or perhaps on the wall of one of the conneting spokes, since you could see a pylon when the door opened. The station exterior has few suitable fixtures to match this door, but if there are more such doors, one could use the cargo bays as shuttle hangars easily enough.

Internal stowage of small ships would also help explain all those cases when we hear there are multiple ships docked, and the exterior view shows one at best. Those others can't ALL be docked in the single pylon or exterior port that remains out of camera view.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not bad. We know that some people get about in ships that can easily fit in the DS9 cargo bay set (time travelers, Klingon traders, Bajoran solar sailors, etc.), which probably wouldn't fit well with the docking adaptors. Odds are that a few could be somewhere on the station at any given time.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...monthly ashtray cleaning or something...

Don't let Nick Meyer catch wind of that... [Wink]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
My guess would be 1701/7, since it was an injoke and couldn't be seen up-close.

Answering this question from the first page, the answer is that the TOS shuttle from the TMP DVD shot is the shuttlecraft Conrad, out of Starbase 6. Who said so? Daren said so. Also, the alleged "other" TOS shuttle from the far left of the master shot is not a shuttle, but another air tram. Daren said so too.

Mark

[ February 22, 2002, 00:23: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
My guess would be 1701/7, since it was an injoke and couldn't be seen up-close.

Answering this question from the first page, the answer is that the TOS shuttle from the TMP DVD shot is the shuttlecraft Conrad, out of Starbase 6. Who said so? Daren said so. Also, the alleged "other" TOS shuttle from the far left of the master shot is not a shuttle, but another air tram. Daren said so too.

Mark

There is definitely another one at the far left. Or is it... that can't be... but on the other hand... Uh! I'm confused. But OK.

The Conrad you say? I wonder how they got that thing to earth. A proof they have warp capability? [Smile]

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conrad?

Named after...?

Please say Pete Conrad. I do hope you asked him.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's Daren?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps