Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
^^^^

I mailed Ed Miarecki go find out the names of the models pictured on his page. I have the strange feeling they didn't build them for 'Cause and Effect' but for 'Generations'. In the saucer-scene, we saw all those shuttles parked at the saucer, and the saucer itself was a physical model (at least the one they used for the crash-landing). So maybe he built those ships for Generations? (Why should he built 6 ships if he only uses 2 of them?)

"Cause and Effect" was filmed way before "Generations".
And that saucer looks more like a matt painting to me, either that or they're using a funny lense.

[Edit:] The old shuttle's parking at the upper level, between the airtrams. And I just found another one, in front of the golden gate bridge, far left screen. A sideview. If they CGIed those shuttles, maybe someone can find out if they assigned a name.[/QUOTE]

Where's Mojo when you need him!? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be 1701/7, since it was an injoke and couldn't be seen up-close.
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saucer from Generations is a model. There's a picture of Greg Jein standing next to it, and it is very, very large (lots of detail!).
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the crash sequence used a bloody huge model (I have the makeing of tape) I'm just saying that the final shot with the saucer covered in shuttles looks a little strange, warped even.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend and Capt. Kyle, I'd love to see the 'caps of the mini-Sydneys from Generations with the Farragut's reg. I've never found one clear enough to read.

Thanks,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Voyager has consumed several of this modern type of shuttlecrafts" ( Type 9 )

[Eek!]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don'cha know? They're great with a bernaise sauce..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few comments:

In the TOS shuttle entry, the journey in "Metamorphosis" need not have been an interstellar one. After all, our heroes were caught in an asteroid field, a typical interplanetary phenomenon. The journey *may* have included an interstellar hop as well, but that could have been performed by a starship which the shuttle was about to rendezvous with, once past those nasty asteroids - say, the starship that was lacking one captain at that time...

Ditto for Geordi's trip in "Mind's Eye" - the Enterprise could have dropped him off at the outer edge of the target system, much like they dropped off Picard and Crusher in "Samaritan Snare". Apparently, big starships just don't want to poke too deeply into some star systems...

In "The Search", the (imaginary) shuttle or shuttlepod flown by Sisko and Bashir need not have been of the same type as the shuttlepod of Odo and Kira. While the same interior is used, the Sisko/Bashir pod has an aft hatch, a feature that doesn't agree with the exterior of the type 18 pod. The Kira/Odo interior utilizes the more proper gullwing doors. Perhaps Sisko and Bashir were dreaming of flying the "Chaffee" model, or some kind of a "type 17" craft?

In "Resolutions", the shuttle given to Janeway and Chakotay is not shown. If this is indeed our only real reference to "type 9", then we could forget about any connections between that and the Sternbach speedboat, and continue calling the speedboat "class 2" or, if we want, "type 12". "Type 9" in that context could mean just about anything - including the Sternbach TNG TM design! (If the DF fits in, then so does the 9A!)

Which reminds me, have we EVER heard of any shuttle designated as "type" something, outside this "Resolutions" reference? Isn't it always "class" something, except in the books?

Also, the speedboat (type 9/12/class 2/whatever) is not solely an Intrepid-specific design, since we saw one at Jupiter in "Lifeline".

Timo Saloniemi

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's the unknown type of shuttle in the Defiant's MSD -- it could be that which Timo mentions. I'm questioning the intended scale of the MSD at this point -- despite the people figures, it might be smaller, given the size of the hallways and the size of the bridge set.

The Type-18, contrary to what the DS9TM says, certainly has warp drive -- not only does Kira suggest that Odo should've taken them back to the wormhole, IIRC, but the episode "Destiny" confirms it in dialogue as well, where the warp drive is used to create the subspace field for moving the asteroid fragments off course.

We don't know anything about the minimum warp factor of the Type-18, but it need not be high -- after all, even Warp 1.1 can be a high speed, depending on plot requirements [Smile]

I seriously doubt that the Chaffee (also called a "shuttlepod" in the dialogue) was installed from the very beginning, mostly because they would've used it -- in both situations where we've seen the shuttlepods, a good warp capability was a requirement. Besides, the Defiant model exterior just couldn't support the shuttlebay with the tractor emitter on top of the hatch. Sure, that old stock footage was used in "The Sound of Her Voice" as well, but since we haven't seen the flat hatch afterwards, the Chaffee is best explained as a one-off thing, a sort of a test as indicated in the DS9TM.

On the other hand, the producers probably built it since they'd need to CGI the old pods anyway, so why not improve on the design? The old pods were probably intended to resemble the earliest sketches of the Defiant, which we know wasn't completed when live-action footage of "The Search" was shot. I like the Chaffee better, but I don't know how the Defiant's armor with the tractor emitter could slide away to reveal the hatch. If a way can be found, why not? It would allow us to get rid of the two additional pod bays that were never seen onscreen, and create something more in line with the Defiant's nature.

[ February 04, 2002, 09:45: Message edited by: Phelps ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don'cha know? They're great with a bernaise sauce..

Mark

Or should that be berndaise sauce ;o)

Sorry was the 'torpedo transport' from "The Emissary" mentioned?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed did build that army of Type-6 shuttles for "Cause and Effect" along with the portion of the Main Shuttlebay. I don't know why he built that many but who knows if he gave them out as gifts to his bosses. As for the ending of "Generations," it seems that the saucer and the minature people were physical models while the shuttles were CGI. I don't think that the Sydney Class was reverted back into the Executive Shuttle just for the movie.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the saucer

Those look like physical models. 4 Type 6 shuttles. Are you sure the ones from Miarecki's page weren't used for the movie?
Furthermore, I think it's more difficult to create a new CGI of the exec shuttle that just take the old ship and change the color and remove the engines. And if the exec was CGI, they had done the type 6 and type 7, too. But both were already existing models.

And Mim, if I find the pictures (they were not really that good, but we were able to read the Farragut's NCC - or at least parts of it) I'll send them to you or post them. Depending on my mood. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC-60591. That's the Farragut's registry. And here are the pictures (exec1-3 are close-ups, execs shows the two ships from the large image).

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/execs.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/exec1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/exec2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/exec3.JPG

Geocities. 'Nuff said. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
the saucer

Those look like physical models. 4 Type 6 shuttles. Are you sure the ones from Miarecki's page weren't used for the movie?
Furthermore, I think it's more difficult to create a new CGI of the exec shuttle that just take the old ship and change the color and remove the engines. And if the exec was CGI, they had done the type 6 and type 7, too. But both were already existing models.

I'm afraid that the exec model couldn't have been restored, if you look at the Jenolan you'll see that there are significant changes to the structure plus that model was later changed to the U.S.S. Nash with its dumb arse Jenolan ripoff reggo.

However, it is possible that more than one exec model was made for ST:VI, and that only one of them was Sydney-ised while the other(s) remained intact and was later repainted for "Generations".

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NCC-60591. That's the Farragut's registry.

NCC-60597, actually. The '1' was a misprint in the Encyclopedia. See the studio model.

Thanks for the pics.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps