Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 7)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scan, anyone?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be contrary, I must point out that a rescue ship *could* have arrived at that point already, even if we weren't shown its arrival... [Smile]

Anyhow, if there is a Sydney-thing stored aboard the saucer, then the internal structure of the main bay has to be different from the blueprints - else the Sydney-barge couldn't get out, or would block the entranceway.

Alternately, the barge only emerges through the sunroof, not through the aft door of the bay.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an Executive Shuttle, not a Sydney Class that was ontop of the saucer.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I scanned it. Here it is:

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/Saucer.JPG

And yes, those are no Sydneys, but the model is the same. Looking at that picture, it seems they could store a dozen in the main shuttle bay.

[ February 14, 2002, 10:43: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Sydney-class starship would figure more than half length of the Galaxy's saucer.. I'd hate to see one of those land and squish all the people, androids and cats on the surface of the saucer.

I just saw the scene and I think the perfect topping to Generations would be showing all the people walking around the saucer, then pull back to show the Apes spying them through binoculars saying "Shit.. there goes the neighborhood..."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did that scene even appear in the film? I don't remember seeing any shuttles on the saucer before the rescue ships came...

Could be wrong though. But it might just be a publicity still?

BTW, (and no, I'm not trying to argue for the ridiculous notion that the Exec Shuttle and the Sydney are the same size, but all the same I'm curious...) what ever was used to determine the Sydney's size? IIRC, the only thing considered were the nacelles, making an assumption that they were the same scale as the Connie and Miranda. However, as seen with ships like the Curry, this may not always be the case...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. the nacelles are correctly scaled with the Constitution refit bridge module. Pretty much all the refurbishing was done from the Miranda mold (or a Miranda model anyway). Besides those two obvious features (unless you'd rather argue that it was just a similarly shaped scaled-bridge), we also have a partial deck count based on the many windows Mr. Jein put on the model.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bridge module on the real sydney is not exactly the Constitution one, but a more rounded docking port-less modification, perhaps closer to the Excelsior version. It does help establish the scale, though.

And there is a flight control station just above the cavernous shuttlebay at the stern. If we don't want to suppose that Starfleet uses Balok and his First Federation friends exclusively for manning this facility, we get a minimum size for the ship. And that size is in agreement with the idea that those are Constitution nacelles.

The "Sydney-thing", aka the "executive shuttle", is more elusive size-wise, but the saucertop scenes would suggest a 20m craft or a bit larger - roughly on par with Danube runabouts. Perhaps this is the preceding generation of runabouts?

Is the "shuttle" capable of warp? The model has two tucked-in and rear-facing silver-painted Galaxy ramscoops under its hindquarters, which one could interpret as analogous to those silver hemispheres at the aft ends of NCC-1701 and TOS shuttle nacelles. So perhaps the "shuttle" has inboard warp nacelles.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why they didn't have the main shuttlebay open?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

Easy - they didn't have the power to open the door. So they simply transported all the shuttles out. As we know, a transporter runs on a hand phaser battery if necessary. [Big Grin]

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternatively, some people got out of the stardrive section via the shuttlebays, or even the escape pods, and had just landed.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, then the larger Executive Shuttles came where?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was only one, and i'm betting it coudla fit inside shuttlebay three. We've never seen the third bay in its entirety, unless you're counting the blueprints.

Anyway, I think we're arguing a moot point here - I'm almost certain that the scan doesn't represent the final shot seen in the movie. Among reasons, there's no one visible on the saucer. Does anyone have a DVD to at least review against this scan? I'm under the impression that this is some sort of interm or test shot done at ILM while they're figuring out how to blow up the planet.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yeah, that's what I think too. I sure as hell don't remember there being shuttles on the saucer until the end.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall seeing the shuttles on saucer scene when Generations was on TV (Fox I think). But maybe it was just the regular shuttles. I can't remember now.

[ February 15, 2002, 20:02: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps