Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 4)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: There's also the shuttle at Starbase 74 in "1110011010" or whatever. I saw an episode of "Reading Rainbow" in which Levar Burton was interviewing Rob Legato about his miniature work. Rob had models of the Aldean planetary cloaking device, and another model of this shuttle. He made the nacelles from disposable razors, with the bladed end cut off. Unfortunately, although you could see the model very well, the actual shot of the ship in TNG is too small to make out any details.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phelps: You're quite likely right about the Defiant MSD being for 69m - back in the good old days I used to take it as granted. Of course, there's no way the ship could still be that small after all we've seen (especially the dreaded main shuttlebay).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd--

--The guy's name was Sam Freedle.
--There's 440 lifeboats on the Galaxy-class. Believe me, I've inked tiny little numbers on the model hatches enough times to know. That gives a total evac capacity of 1760, so the full crew plus 748, which is about 74% of the full crew.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not counting how many people you can squeeze into all of those shuttles and the captain's yacht if need be.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Great and Mighty Bernd,

Excellent work! I just have one question:

Where are the TMP shuttles? We saw them in the Enterprise shuttlebay, even in the old edition of TMP.

(They are basically the Surak shuttle-with-warp-sled without the warp sled.)

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did we? I thought that matt painting was never used.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Oh Great and Mighty Bernd,

Where are the TMP shuttles? We saw them in the Enterprise shuttlebay, even in the old edition of TMP.
G2k

Actually, they weren't in the film. They were in Andy Probert's layout painting, which has been reproduced in various places, but the shuttle was never in the final mattes.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of changes are online since last night. Thanks for your comments. I have also included some obscure numbers of shuttles which are still a bit uncertain. Maybe I will remove them again when it turns out they were not visible.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought there was a shuttle visible in the bay when Scotty and Kirk toured the ship. The hangar was definitely open and you could see something inside. I just saw TMP at the cinema two weeks ago. [Confused]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you mean when they fly past the ship in that inspection pod? Yeah, when they go past the hangar doors from the outside, there is one workbee visible there. We see it again when the footage is reused in ST2.

But none of those Probert-designed smaller variants of the Vulcan courier are seen. Those are only visible in the interior matte painting that wasn't used in the final edit.

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a different not, the Pontiac was visible in the episode. I remember checking it when I first read it in the TNGTM. I have to check the episode again, but I think it was a Type 15.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
I thought there was a shuttle visible in the bay when Scotty and Kirk toured the ship. The hangar was definitely open and you could see something inside. I just saw TMP at the cinema two weeks ago. [Confused]

I just watched my old pan-and-scan copy of the original TMP.

In that version, the shot is fixed primarily on the cargo bay area, so I guess I just assumed that the often-shown matte painting (seen in books like "Art of Star Trek" and "Mr. Scott's Guide . . . ") was actually showing the rest of the shot.

Crap. :-)

There *is* a workbee in the shuttlebay. I thought there might be something larger behind it in the almost aft-on shot from the travel pod, but it's hard to tell on my wee-tee-vee.

This would serve to explain that idea everyone has always had (which perplexed me) about how the Surak was a Vulcan design . . . I always assumed it was just a regular Starfleet shuttlecraft with a regular Starfleet warp sled, one that just happened to be registered to some Vulcan authority.

Actually, though, given the fact that the docking port on the back matches the docking port on the travel pod precisely, and given that the warp drive technology appears to be decidedly non-Vulcan (i.e. not ring-warp, and using the "louvered-looking" engines a la the Enterprise in TMP), and given that the Enterprise had to have been in possession of something more than workbees, one could try to make the argument that what has commonly been thought of as a TMP shuttle (at least by me) *is* a TMP shuttle.

Hmmm . . . wonder if it's in the director's edition anywhere?

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
This would serve to explain that idea everyone has always had (which perplexed me) about how the Surak was a Vulcan design . . . I always assumed it was just a regular Starfleet shuttlecraft with a regular Starfleet warp sled, one that just happened to be registered to some Vulcan authority.

Actually, though, given the fact that the docking port on the back matches the docking port on the travel pod precisely, and given that the warp drive technology appears to be decidedly non-Vulcan (i.e. not ring-warp, and using the "louvered-looking" engines a la the Enterprise in TMP), and given that the Enterprise had to have been in possession of something more than workbees, one could try to make the argument that what has commonly been thought of as a TMP shuttle (at least by me) *is* a TMP shuttle.

Hmmm . . . wonder if it's in the director's edition anywhere?

G2k

Maybe it was a vulcan ship and 1701 did not have any shuttle in TMP. I mean - look at the matte painting. the bee alcoves are emty, no shuttle in the hangar bay area, no shuttle in the reapir dock below. They said the ship was not yat ready after the refit. This could mean the shuttles were not available at that time. (Maybe Tuesday? [Big Grin] )

I have no problem with the Surak being a vulcan design. They started with the ship from Vulcan, and according to - what? TNG? - the Vulcans had their own star navy or whatever they call it. The merchant fleet. The T'Pau had an NSP-registry but was labeled S.S., what could mean the Surak was same type of vessel (of course only the category, not the class!). (On the other hand, 'class': If the T'Pau was an Apollo-class ship - I hate this - and it was the same Apollo-class Starfleet uses - despite the Gage-theory - the Surak could have been an old Starfleet design, just like the T'Pau.
I have seen close-ups of the model, the hull markings were both vulcan and federation standard => english.)

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a shuttle was mentioned in the ST:TMP comm-chatter. Lakia, IIRC.

[ February 06, 2002, 09:15: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

^^^^

Maybe Laika?

(Do we have a complete list of ships mentioned in the SE's comm chatter?)

I checked the episode again, 'In Theory'. Picard says 'Shuttle 3', that's all. We get a view of the exterior. First shot it looks as if the 'Pontiac'-thing could be possible, but there's another close-up and the name seems to be too short. Maybe 'Pike'. Obviously, we have to wait for the DVD. [Frown]

--------------------

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps