Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation Shuttles - Preview (Page 8)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Federation Shuttles - Preview
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked my VHS copy, there are no shuttles on the Enterprise sauser when the shock wave hits, It looks like that pic was a sfx test.

However the argument as to weither or not an executive shuttle can fit inside a Galaxy is rather mute because the Farragut has an identical main shuttlebay (AFAWK) and she seams to have two of them.

It is a little irritating that the Enterprise's shuttlebay is closed since we know that at least one of her shuttles survived the crash (anyone who has seen the cut Hawkins scene may remember that it was scorched & smoking). Perhaps they used the Emergency engress doors?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
However the argument as to weither or not an executive shuttle can fit inside a Galaxy is rather mute because the Farragut has an identical main shuttlebay (AFAWK) and she seams to have two of them.

LOL! I'm glad somebody finally realized this... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we also have to keep in mind that the Farragut has a pretty large hanger integrated into the stern of the secondary hull.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? Forgive me for being ignorant, but I'd never heard that before.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/farragut1.jpg

I don't think it's substantially larger than the main shuttlebay, though.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the bay could go in pretty deep for all we know...

Here's a nice picture of the USS Leed's stern (NOTE: The picture is supposed to remain at starshipmodeler.com, so no reposting on a webpage please).

http://starshipmodeler.com/trek/nref2.jpg

And the USS Farragut...
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/farragut3.jpg

Close-up:
http://www.starfleetyards.com/starships/nebula_class/images/nebula_07.jpg

...it's a shame the name was rubbing off there.

As you can see, the door is about the same height as the main shuttlebay (if not taller). I'm guessing the large door/panel above the normal garage-type door is the egress door of this "Shuttlebay 2."

[ February 16, 2002, 19:45: Message edited by: Ace ]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the pic in Yahoo... Vanguard that was shown on Fox except that it was during the end after Picard was rescued by the shuttle. And people were along it. I think there were two pics; one with shuttles and one with people. The one with people was used during the scene where the planet and the Enterprise-D saucer was destroyed. The shuttle scene was most likely matted ontop of the people scene for the rescue portion of the movie.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
Well, the bay could go in pretty deep for all we know...

Here's a nice picture of the USS Leed's stern (NOTE: The picture is supposed to remain at starshipmodeler.com, so no reposting on a webpage please).

http://starshipmodeler.com/trek/nref2.jpg

And the USS Farragut...
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/farragut3.jpg

Close-up:
http://www.starfleetyards.com/starships/nebula_class/images/nebula_07.jpg

...it's a shame the name was rubbing off there.

As you can see, the door is about the same height as the main shuttlebay (if not taller). I'm guessing the large door/panel above the normal garage-type door is the egress door of this "Shuttlebay 2."

I don't know if its a good idea to have 2 large shuttlebays on one ship, either way I'm sure the exec would fit inside both of them.
Not so long ago someone here did an internal scal comparison of the Galaxy shuttle bay to see if the attack fighters would fit inside, as a side note it was found that a runabout can just about make it. Since the exec shuttle is just a little bit smaller than a runabout then it would definatly fit, after all the E-D is know so have storeed at least 3 Danubes on one occasion that we
know of and there is the possibility that it maintained one of it's own for a while afterwards.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be me:

The first pic you see

A runabout can barely fit between the central column and the cargo lifts to either side, so technically a runabout *should* be able to park anywhere there's space. Assuming an exec shuttle is less wide than one, you can fit plenty in there.

Mark

[ February 17, 2002, 09:28: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

What's wrong about having two large shuttlebays? The E-D's shuttlebay 2 seems so small.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what if we remove the large central phylon? Maybe it's part of the war-refit program? (You know, nacelle phasers and so on...) [Smile]

Can we be sure that shuttlebay 1 of a Nebula really is a shuttlebay? I mean - can you imagine a worse place to put your shuttlebay if there's a large phylon only 50 meters behind the door? Either they have very good pilots (speaking of security they probably wont risk a shuttle accident every now and then) or the thing is just a big cargo bay. Maybe you could remove the emergency bay doors at the top and replace them with DS9-like elevators.
And the small bay at the rear end? I always assumed they store a Runabout there. Or two. Or a larger craft we haven't seen yet, the equivalent of the captain's yacht (the original configuration of the Nebula had none, as far as I know).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pylon".
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt they would remove the central core as that's were the turbolifts pass through from the other decks and would give easy access to the shuttlebay. As for the Nebbie's yacht, all variants (including the Nebbie study models) had them on the saucer underside below deck 16 as the saucer is pretty much nearly identical from the Galaxy's saucer.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Evolved
Member # 389

You'd have to be a pretty bad pilot to hit the Nebula's pod support pylon. It's not like they launch the things out like an aircraft carrier... [Roll Eyes]

As for the second shuttlebay, I think the pictures show it's not that small of a bay.

[ February 17, 2002, 21:28: Message edited by: Ace ]

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Pylon".

Yes, mom. [Big Grin]

(Seriously, I think the latin word is Phylon, not pylon. Allthough my latin is not the best anymore, at least something survived all those endless lessons. [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps