Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My Expanded Shiplist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: My Expanded Shiplist
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nash could be named after John Nash who was depicted in "A Beautiful Mind".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was gonna say the same thing about John Nash. Also, I think Brisbane is the capital of Australia. Any Aussies out there who can confirm, because the capital could have been moved and my information could be out of date?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
I was gonna say the same thing about John Nash. Also, I think Brisbane is the capital of Australia. Any Aussies out there who can confirm, because the capital could have been moved and my information could be out of date?

Um, yeah I live in Brisbane - and... I don't see the captial moving here - it has been and always shall be... Canberra. It has it's own territory - the Australian Capital Territory.It is a planned city since Federation in 1901.

Brisbane is the Capital of the State of Queensland.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I knew it wasn't Sydney. Now that I go further into my brain, I knew Canberra was the capital. I'm not sure why I even said Brisbane. Maybe it was because I was trying to recall all the (big) Australian cities and the ones that I could recall, most I knew wasn't the capital. Brisbane did stick out as a maybe in my head. (Probably because it is a capital... of Queensland, that is... and not Australia.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

[Smile] NP. [Smile]

Canberra and 'old Parliament House' was opened in 1921 (I think)... from 1901 Parliament wasn't held in Sydney as most would think (As it is the largest city) but in Melbourne.

Canberra means 'meeting place' or something like that in that area's local Aboriginal language.

Canberra is a planned city there was a competition and it was one by Walter Burley Griffin.

Sydney was the first founded city (and first permanent white settlement - but some think that Cooktown in Far North Queensland might be - as that is where he, his crew and the Endeavour landed and stayed for several weeks->months repairing their ship which had been breached? by the coral of the Great Barrier Reef. He took the time to navigate out of the coral reefs.

The second White settlement after Sydney was Hobart in southern Tasmania which was called Van Dieman's land then (It is the captial of Tasmania). George Town (or mainly) Launceston in Northern Tasmania was the third White settlement. Launceston actually had a sewer system before such cities as Paris!! (I was walking around Launceston once and walked down an old cobblestone alleyway that had a lot of interesting information).

I think the order then was

Melbourne (now Capital of Victoria)
Brisbane (Named after New South Wales Governer Thomas Brisbane (now Captial of Queensland)
Adelaide (Named After Queen Adelaide)
(now Capital of South Australia and the first ((I think) free settlement town)
Perth (now Capital of Western Australia)
Darwin (Named after Charles Darwin - the S.S. Beagle stopped here) (Captial of the Northern Territory
and Canberra capital of the A.C.T. and Australia and it's territories.

Australia was back before it was discovered "Terra Australis" (Unknown Southern Land) Explorers thought that there out to be a large continent in the Southern hemisphere to match the large continent of Eurasia in the Northern Hemisphere!)

Then named New Holland by Dutch Explorers that skirted and charted parts of the west coast, the southern tips of WA and Tasmania and the west coast of Cape York Pennisula. Most were blown off course trying to reach the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) or the Spice Islands. They found the coasts and assumed the land, barren and inhospitable.

Then in 1770 by way of New Zealand, Captain James T. Cook discovered the Eastern Coast of Australia and Charted it, landed and claimed it in the name of the British Empire.

At this time it was called New South Wales (all of it) Except Tasmania which was called Van Deiman's land.

Then the eastern part was all New South Wales (except Tas) the middle South Australia and the West, Western Australia.

Then gradually States were formed

Tasmania, Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales.

The Northern Territory was then formed from the northern half of South Australia and in the early twentieth century the Australian Captial Territory was formed.

Australia has the largest area of ocean under it's administration. Australia has the largest area of Antarctica under it's administration.

Some of it's territories include Heard Is. MacQuarrie Island (both uninhabited except for birds/penguins and elephant seas - oh and a few research scientists). Also under it's administration is Lord Howe Island. Norfolk Island (to an extent) (of the Mutiny on the Bounty fame). The Cocos (Keeling Islands) and Christmas Island.

It is the only continent to have one country.
It is the second largest island (the largest being Greenland)
It has the largest sand island (Fraser Island)
It unfortunately has the greatest extinction rate of Fauna (and Flora?)
It is the driest continent (yet moronic arsonist and pyromaniacs continue to light bushfires that destroy homes and kill people).
It is very large and it's like 1500km between Brisbane and Sydney.
It has some of the oldest living extant animals (like the Lung Fish)

Oh enough random facts! [Smile]

There you go a bit of Australian geography, History, Biology and factoids for you all and some names for your starships! [Wink]

The U.S.S. Lungfish!! [Wink] Maybe a TAS aquashuttle!?! [Smile]

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is this USS Hermes (NCC-585) comming from?

I just watched the opening scene of STTWOK with the K.M. test and couldn't find anything!

Is there a screen shot (from the movie) available?

Thanks

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Supposedly it can be seen on the round computer displays as seen on the Enterprise and the Reliant.

Can someone explain the difference between the Hermes and Saladin classes - I looked at someone's schematic oncee and they looked exactly the same.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saladin-class has more weapons than the Hermes.
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saladin masses slightly more, has a slightly larger crew and carries more weaponry (3 phaser banks plus trops versus 1 phaser bank and no torps). That's all the differences given in the Star Fleet Technical Manual. The only differences in the external views are the extra weapon ports.

Presumably there are more differences internally - the Hermes must do something with the extra space it has and extended cargo space, more labs and more and/or better sensors would all make sense for a scout compared to a destroyer.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Supposedly it can be seen on the round computer displays as seen on the Enterprise and the Reliant.
So, is the Hermes visible on the screen?

Any screen-caps available?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yes, can be seen on screen. Only schematics, though. Go to ex astris scientia (Bernd's site) I think it's there: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/

Or maybe at the Neutral Zone:

Bummer - I've lost the URL... anyone?

BTW is the Neutral Zone Pin'a'Sovs'? What was his place's URL and who is he called now?

Andrew

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/hermes.jpg
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/hermes_2.jpg
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/saladin.jpg
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/saladin_2.gif
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/ptolemy.jpg
http://www.st-spike.de/ships/pics/ptolemy_2.gif

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Did Gene ever comment on the FASA stuff?

And is there a side view of that Ptolemy Class - from the top it looks like a TOS Miranda!!

AND just something else - at your site Spike, under the official missing list that was on DS9 and in the DS9 Companion - how come there is a 'Nemesis' listing there - the reUSE it for Nemesis!?! I mean... guh!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Neutral Zone is http://www.neutralzone.de, the other one is http://www.stguardian.to.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thankyou very muchly.

Andrew.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps