Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My Expanded Shiplist (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: My Expanded Shiplist
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Considering that another vessel on those displays was the U.S.S. Silversides
But what does that have to do with the Sentinel?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that our simian friend here referenced the WWII U.S.S. Sentinel on his page, and Masao posited an s/f literary origin for the name instead...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he is suggesting they are both ships of the US Navy, and Starfleet has a tradition of naming ships after US Navy ships. Something like that I guess.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The fact that our simian friend here referenced the WWII U.S.S. Sentinel on his page, and Masao posited an s/f literary origin for the name instead...

That's not what I meant. He wrote "another vessel on those displays" but the Sentinel didn't appear on a display. The Silversides is from TNG Eye of the Beholder and the Sentinel from DS9 Treachery, Faith And The Great River.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED INTO NOTHINGNESS IN ORDER TO RECTIFY AN INCIDENCE OF STUPIDITY AND CONFUSION ON THE PART OF THE AUTHOR. PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST.

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ December 05, 2002, 14:48: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
For some reason I confused the Silversides as being a ship from the "Eye of the Beholder" displays.
Maybe because the Silversides is from that episode? [Big Grin]
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim, you've got to think before you speak! You're confusing Sentinel with Silversides.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Mim, you've got to think before you speak.

Sound advice. [Cool]

Forgive my continued scatter-brained-ness... [Roll Eyes]

To state things perfectly clearly and in accurate terms: I still believe the Sentinel to have been named for the line of noted naval vessels rather than for the Clarke story. My reason for this is primarily because of the abundance of other similarly-named Starfleet ships, and secondarily because I think it makes more sense. (I've got a good sense of priorities, don't I? [Wink] )

-MMoM [Big Grin]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

UPDATE:

-Added all the correct information from the Starfleet Operations display and added the pics furnished by Siegfried and SoundEffect. This meant updating the entry of every ship on the list. I'd still like to know more precisely when that graphic first started showing up.
-Added some new links in the Merrimac (final spelling) entry and tried to make the name issue a bit more clear in the annotations.
-I finally rlented on the Ahwahnee issue. The "Redemption" PADD graphic that SE discovered has convinced me. I'm still waiting to hear from Okuda on why he thought the reg needed to be changed, though.
-Consequently, I updated the Endeavour entry as well.
-Updated the Introduction page, replacing the Nemesis entery in the explanatory notes with one on scripts and deleted scenes.
-Updated the Condensed shiplist.

There may be a few other trivial things that I can't think of at the moment. I'll try to start work on the Federation listings again this week.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

Do the headers at the top of every page (and the directory at the bottom) appear to you guys in the proper font of Microgramma Bold Extended? I was looking at the page from another computer and it was all in Times New Roman. Ick. [Confused]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's in Microgramma on my computer, but of course I've got that font loaded. I suspect if the computer doesn't have it loaded, it'll just use times or something else.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's how web pages work. Pages don't embed the fonts used, so if a page calls for a certain font and a computer that's loading up the page doesn't have the font, the browser's default font will be used. It's exactly how word processing programs work. That's why on some pages, it will tell you that it looks better with a certain font loaded on your computer and so provides a link to download the font if you don't have it. Vorlon used to do that on his now long-defunct website.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I've added a note and a link to a TrueType version of the font to the intro page.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, most courses of net-etiquette I have learned consider it 'rude' to ask someone to download a font to view your page.. the best instructors in web design I've learned from have stated that the ideal webpage is the one that is viewable to the highest number of people without said people having to go through any trouble to view the page.

that being said, i think the best solution is to not only offer the font, but also alter the FONT tags to include an alternate (ugh.. non-Times) font just in case they don't want to get your font.. on my page, there are some places where I use Arial Narrow, but I recognize that most people with pre-2000 OSs might not have it, and still more people might be running old Macs that call Arial by the name Helvetica.. so a lot of my tags read FONT FACE="Arial Narrow,Arial,Helvetica".. that way, if they don't have the preferred font, it will try a couple others. IF I were you i would code the tag to use the preferred font first, then pick a backup font which people are guaranteed to have, that would be your second choice.

also keep in mind that many fonts don't resize well for use as text, when they are specifically geared towards being a header font:
 -

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an addition to what Captain Mike suggested, I'd put the font name "Eurostar Black Extended" in the tag... it's the same exact font, and I had it preinstalled on both my Windows ME and Windows XP computers. That way, at least some people won't have to have multiple copies of a font floating around on their computer. [Smile]
CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere in the web I read NCC-76220 for the Steamrunner.

I made my own version of this strange registry. The Steamrunners are modern ship with got "ancient", never used registries (maybe construction has been cancelled) just to fill a few holes in the registries (like the Appalachia 52136 and the (fan-fiction) Eagles Wrath 52137).

The 5XXXX Prometheus has been classified as a Steamrunner Cruiser and therefore received a never used registry. Since the Prometheus was a very secret project Starfleet would never make it official in its shiplist as a experimental high tech battlechip.

----------
"You! Hold my pint while I get the satchel charges. Yes, of course I'm kidding, you stupid bastard - you think I'd trust you with the beer?"

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps