Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My Expanded Shiplist (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: My Expanded Shiplist
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should take the opportunity to watch it, though, if you can. It's probably Eisenstein's best, and probably the best example of Soviet Montage. If you go in and don't expect anything as good as Notting Hill, you'll enjoy it.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Re: Columbia being named for the Space Shuttle. If FJ's tech manual came out in 1975 (or so), that's too early for shuttle names, I think. This KSC page tells about the history of the name and the shuttle. http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/resources/orbiters/columbia.html

Once again, I thank you, Okazaki-san. [Smile]

Done.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thunderchild entry should read, "named for the fictional British warship "H.M.S. Thunder Child." There is no "HMS Thunderchild."

I still suggest you mention the movie Battleship Potemkin. The ship and the General would probably be forgotten if not for the movie. It's certainly well known among filmmakers.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
You forgot the parts about the criminals and the flogging. Sheesh. What kind of history leaves out the flogging?

Well yeah that's a BIG chunk to talk about.

The conditions that those people (some who only stole a loaf of bread) went through was appaling - yes not to mention the floggings - but especially the Hobart and Port Arthur Convicts. They only had the material-uniform. And Tasmania gets very cold - it snows there in Winter - and their cells were made by them - and had - no closable windows etc. Tough people.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEGLIGIBLE UPDATE:

Fixed a formatting error in the Carolina entry, added SoundEffect's Odyssey pic, and rephrased the Thunderchild name annotations for (hopefully) a final time.

Tomorrow (again, hopefully) Federation A-E.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It snows in the winter? Monsters!

(Andrew: I am joking with you.)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

UPDATE:

-Added Federation Ships A-D.
-Added historical notes about Bozeman, Montana, in Bozeman entry.
-Rewrote the Carolina entry after watching TOS "Friday's Child" again and realizing that the Encyclopedia got the ship mixed up with the S.S. Dierdre. (See explanatory note in the Dierdre entry.)
-Found a better Challenger screencap.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For SS Columbia, you should mention Dr. Theodore Haskins and the American Continent Institute.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And based on the dialogue from the episode, the USS Carolina is an operational ship. She is operating near the Klingon border.

I don't see her as a Daedalus Class nor as a freighter. I see her as a less powerful ship than the USS Enterprise, possibliy a destroyer class. (Destroyer class is from the Stephen Whitfield book.)

I notice that Mr. Okuda was very conservative in his use of classes for the original series. Only classes established for this time period and earlier-the Constitution and the Daedalus-were given. I don't know why he was so conservative in his selection of classes.

I think it possible that there are three Carolinas-a 22nd century ship of the Daedalus Class, a 23rd century ship, and a 24th century ship. Just an opinion.

Carolina is the name of a former colony in the southeast US. This colony became North and South Carolina.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
For SS Columbia, you should mention Dr. Theodore Haskins and the American Continent Institute.

Well, that's a coincidence. Yesterday I was looking through my picture archive when I found Picard's notes for the Tagus II conference. The ACT is listed there, but I didn't know that it was mentioned in TOS.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The American COMETARY Institute, I believe...

For the Hokule'a and Tripoli entries, here is the likely source for the class name. Not that Okuda couldn't have picked the word up somewhere else, too - but this is also what Starfleet would have used as the excuse for the name...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
UPDATE:

-Added historical notes about Bozeman, Montana, in Bozeman entry.

Heh, I remember 'bout last week Al Roker mentioning Bozeman, Montana. It was the coldest place in the US on that day or something. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The American COMETARY Institute, I believe...

No, it's American Continent Institute all right. Just checked the ep.

I've been working on the Federation listings, but my server is down at the moment and I'll have to wait to update until it's working again. And, to complicate matters further, I'm leaving on vacation for several days on Wednesday, and won't be able to work on the list until I get back on Saturday.

Sorry for the delays.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after 18 years on that planet, though, those guys looked like they were from the American Incontinent Institute!!!! har har har!

and i'm pretty sure thats how the line goes, i came up with that joke YEARS ago..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

UPDATE:

-Added Federation E-I. (Not much there, but all the same...) I need to know what Mag issue the "Ju'day-class" mention came from before I can put J up. On E, I've decided to strike the L.T.A. Elmira from the list, as it is my opinion that the "L.T.A." stands for Lissepian Trade Administration or something similar. It's probably not a UFP vessel.
-Added Haskins notes to the S.S. Columbia entry.
-Added a computer display pic to U.S.S. Hathaway entry.
-Added the supposed Neptune to the Starfleet N page.
-Updated the Condensed shiplist.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps