Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech to expand your summer! ["The Expanse" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Tech to expand your summer! ["The Expanse" Spoilers]
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey cool. A Norway and a Steamrunner. I was waiting for them. [Smile]

Did you say the name of one of those ships was "Intrepid"? They are running out of shipnames obviously. But they also have an "Enterprise", and this is the past, so 'reusing' might not be the right word to describe it. Did we learn the name of the other one? (Besides, which one is the Intrepid? The Norway or the Pre-pre-Enterprise a.k.a. Steamrunner?)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, the Intrepid was the only ship mentioned. It's not clear which ship it is, but I'd say it's the "Steamrunner". It looked more advanced than the two others and was probably the lead ship.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise in Earth orbit
Bridge officers look stunned at the "scar".

Starfleet HQ
Forrest informs Archer that Starfleet Command has a hard time buying his story. Soval is also present and Archer wants to know what the Vulcans think about his story.

"Our science directory has determined that time travel is impossible." [Big Grin]

Archer rolls his eyes. He wants to take Enterprise and find the Xindi. Their homeworld is 3 months away at warp 5. Soval informs them that it's inside the Delphic Expanse, a region of space nearly 2,000 light years across. Vulcan ships have entered it but only few have returned. There have been reports of fierce and dangerous species, unexplained anomalies. In some regions even the laws of physics don't apply. Twenty years ago, a Klingon vessel emerged from the expanse. Every crewman aboard had been anatomically inverted. Soval thinks that it would be foolish to go there. Archer is willing to take the risk. [Is that a model of the Phoenix in the background?] Starfleet needs some kind of proof before they let him go on this mission. Archer shows them that some parts of the probe are from the future. Forrest seems to be convinced. Soval is not. Forrest now shows Archer the body of the Xindi pilot. Looks like a demon from BtVS. [Big Grin]

Enterprise in space dock
Archer meets with Phlox in sickbay, where a Vulcan physician is waiting for him. The Vulcan wants to examine Archer. Some kind of radiation stuff. The physician asks him a lot of questions about time travel, FG, and his feelings about the fact that many people question his story. Phlox stopps the examination when he finds out that the Vulcan is a psychiatrist analyst, not a pathologist. Phlox gets really angry and Archer asks him to leave the ship.

Florida
Trip and Malcolm are standing on the edge of the "scar". Trip shows Malcolm where his sister's house was.

Shuttlepod
Archer and Forrest are travelling aboard a shuttlepod. Starfleet Command has given its blessing to Archer's mission. They come-by the NX-02. Forrest mentions that she'll be ready to launch in 14 months. She'll have the same complement of weapons that Enterprise has, once the retrofit is done. 8 or 9 Enterprise crewmembers will leave the ship. Archer asked General Casey for troops. They're non-Starfleet military.

Enterprise sickbay
T'Pol and Phlox have a conversation about his decision to stay aboard Enterprise. T'Pol tells him that the High Command has made it clear that they don't want her to enter the Delphic Expanse.

Enterprise armory
Malcolm and Trip examine their new toys: photonic torpedoes. Their range is 50 times greater than their conventional torpedoes and they have a variable yield. The tubes have to be reconfigured. Malcolm wants to know if there'll be a memorial for Trip's sister. He mentions that the attack on Earth happened a couple of months ago. Trip's annoyed and doesn't want to talk about it. He just wants to "blow the hell out of these bastards" when they find them.

Starfleet HQ
Forrest and Soval show Archer the logs of the Vulcan ship Van'Khara (sp?). This vessel was in the Expanse for two days. The logs show a bunch of crazy Vulcans, trying to kill each other. The vessel was destroyed, probably by its crew.

Soval wants to speak with T'Pol in private. He makes it very clear that she has to obey the High Command's orders. She's reluctant about returning to Vulcan.

Enterprise
Archer informs Forrest that they'll take T'Pol back to Vulcan. It's not that far out of their way. They say good bye and Forrest leaves the ship.

Enterprise is released from space dock and powers up its impulse engines.

[ May 21, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww...damn, Duras is dead...now what? A bastard son or two slutty sisters chasing Archer...

Reminded me of a cross between 'TWoK' and 'TFF' in the whole 'outer-cloud' sequence...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Aww...damn, Duras is dead...now what?

What makes you think so?

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

What makes you think so?
Umm, I hope you are being sarcastic...but I was thinking that the fact that his ship exploded into about 100 pieces on the edge of some feared expanse (even to the Klingons) might be a good indicator that he is dead...

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sick... I've lost all faith in ENT, period.

Finally! A semi-respectable performance by Starfleet at responding to intruders in Sector 001! Duras is jumped minutes after attacking the NX-01. Of course, this is several weeks after the attack by the probe, so most of Starfleet's ships have probably been recalled and are just patrolling the star system with their fingers on their hair trigger. It's disappointing that Earth never invested in a planetary defense network, which might have reduced or eliminated that 7 million dead figure. Maybe this event pushed Earth into deploying the systems that were the grandfathers of the systems mentioned in ST:IV and DS9's "Paradise Lost".

Frankly, the probe wasn't that impressive. It cut a really long line, but the line wasn't really all that wide. Not very impressed by the choice of target, and highly skeptical that it could have killed 7 million people by cutting a straight line that's probably less than a kilometer wide. A hell of a lot of ultra high density cities would have to have been lying in a straight line for it to accomplish that. Anyone wonder why the Xinidididinieneses didn't just bomb Earth? They could have done a lot more damage if they just packed the probe full of Multiple Independent Re-entry Vehicles with antimatter warheads. Off the shelve technology, those antimatter warheads seems to be...

Photonic torpedoes... Yes ladies and gentlemen, they are indeed antimatter weaponary, capable of operating at warp! They even look exactly like TNG-era torpedoe casings! I think I'm gonna be sick! This show cannot possible get any worst, tech-wise! I mean, phase cannons? Photonic torpedoes? Who are they trying to fool with those pathetic names?! I hope B&B get some serious photonic sodomy!

How many torpedoe launchers does that NX-01 have? Right now my count is 3 rear, and possibly 3 forward (it looked like the torpedoes that destroyed Duras's ship came from a location closer to the centerline of the NX than the spatial torpedoe launchers). Heeeeeeello 'Warship Enterprise'.

Upgraded hull plating. How the heck does that work? If we assume the full plating are in fact the "run-charge-though-plate-to-make-it-stronger" type, then the entire external hull would have to have been re-plated.

NX-01 gets ground troops, and another acknowledgement of the existence of a stand-alone military organization on Earth. So at this time, the defense of the planet is still handled by a separate military, versus later on, ex. TOS-era and after. I bet they will be armed and equiped and looks just like ordinary security officers, except they smile less.

The warp 5 engine uses multiple antimatter injectors, which is rather strange, since from what we've seen and heard of the engine from previous episodes, there should be only one. If there are several, as in more than 3, they must be really small, if we assume those pylons going into the 'warp core' houses the injectors.

NX-01 maintained warp 5 for 7 weeks?!?! Considering that's like the maximum speed for the vessel, it's rather hard to believe. Most vessels we've seen could only maintain their top speed for hours at best.

Those BoPs are too much like the ones found in TMP and after for my liking, but they could have been worst as well. The Klingons does have energy shielding after all, strong enough to stop maxed yield photon torpedoes if focused in one direction.

ENT-era dock seems like a combination of Earth Station McKinly-type docks and TMP dry docks. Looks of latter, function of former.

Did I mention I hate B&B?

Did I mention I hate Vulcans? Their arrogance has reached a point beyond toleration. No race that holds logic so highly would act as foolishly as they have done for the past two season, especially in regards to their treatment of science. The Vulcans almost seem to shun exploration and discovery, and are stagnant. I wonder if the Vulcan Science Directory is a bunch of scientists, or a bunch of 17th Century Popists.

I hope Phlox and Porthos goes crazy and kills everyone.

Chef stays onboard. Duh. Can't lose the ship's Invisible Recurring Character. Or is that Mayweather?

NX flies into a cloud and does a loop to get behind Duras's ship. I can't believe anyone would fall for that. Must be the script.

Finally, I think B&B might be racists. They seem to believe that character traits can be passed down through genes. The traits of being incompetent, tratourous idiots is obviously coded into the genes of the Duras family.

Did I miss anything?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Duras's BoP
The Klingons are preparing for their next attack.

Enterprise mess hall
Archer and Trip have a wee drop. They talk about Porthos, T'Pol, and the importance of their mission.

The ship's attacked again by Duras. This time they're prepared and they fire two photonic torpedoes from the pod launcher. The Klingons are taken by surprise. We learn that the photonic torpedoes contain antimatter warheaads (what a surprise) and that Enterprise's hull plating has been enhanced. The BoP's warp drive is failing and they have to break off their attack.

Talk between Archer and T'Pol about human food, human smell and human emotions in the ready room. [Big Grin] T'Pol doesn't wish to return to Vulcan. She has decided to resign her commission. It's no time for her to leave. Archer tells her that they'll be allright but T'Pol insists on staying aboard. She tells him that he needs her. Archer leaves the ready room and tells the bridge crew that they're not going to Vulcan. He orders Mayweather to set a course for the Delphic Expanse.

7 weeks later
Enterprise arrives at the border of the perimeter cloud, some sort of nebula that is around the Expanse. Enterprise heads into it.

6 hours later
Duras's back. This time with 3 BoPs. Duras makes some threats but Archer isn't impressed. Enterprise is now in close vicinity of the Expanse. Two BoPs back off. Their captains are afraid of the Expanse. Only Duras's ship is still pursuing Enterprise. They can't use their torpedoes because Duras has strengthened his forward shields. So, Enterprise attacks his weakly shielded stern and destroys the BoP.

Enterpise finally enters the Expanse.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

What makes you think so?
Umm, I hope you are being sarcastic
Nope, I hadn't seen the end of the episode when I posted my question and didn't know what you were talking about.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
�So next year, it�ll be �Voyager� on a �Crusade�?� - My parents, after watching "The Expanse"

My god, this episode was so goddamn BORING! But this isn't an opinion review, it's a tech review. So here goes...

-- Did anyone else think "DEATH STAR" when they saw the Xindi probe firing? [Roll Eyes]

-- In Duras' first attack, Reed mentions that "both port phase cannons are down." Um... last we saw, the NX-01 only had two starboard cannons, and only one port cannon. Unless they magically made up parts for more weapons the same way that Voyager made parts for more shuttles...

-- I'm almost positive that that "Bird of Prey" ship was actually just the same D5-class cruiser that we saw before, just a lot more maneuverable and kewl-looking.

-- Okay, so now we've got the Norway and the Steamrunner to complement the Akira. So much for a prequel series. [Razz]

-- The first description of the Delphic Expanse said it was "three months away" at Warp 5. Last time I checked, 7 weeks is not equivalent to 3 months...

-- Did they say "photon" or "photonic" torpedoes? Either way, they've got antimatter warheads. Go figure...

-- Granted there were a couple of time cuts, but it seems that getting from Earth to Vulcan in 1 day at Warp 3, then 2 more days at Warp 4.5. Meh.

-- "His pattern seems to indicate... two dimensional thinking." Nice to know that even in the past, which is the future, nothing changes... [Roll Eyes]

That's about all for now. *sigh*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

^Actually I posted it right after it happened...

Upon rewatching it:

I see nothing wrong with the name of Captain Ramirez's ship "Intrepid". The lineage has to start somewhere, just like it did with the "Enterprise".

And as far as having retro "Norway" "Steamrunner" and "Akira" classes, I don't see that that is so far a reach, especially if Starship designers were going back to the retro designs. Look how much the "Constitution" and "Ambassador" resemble each other, or the circular primary hulled "Daedalus" and "Olympic/Hope" resemblence. Think of nowaday motor vehicles, and how they make the new Ford Thunderbirds or Volkswagon Bugs and how they still resemble their antiquated counterparts...

How, in around 2553~2573, did Earth attack the Xindi? Was the Federation not formed, or did it disband sometime in the 100 years following the Dominion War for the Xindi to specify Earth as the attacker and not the Federation or any of the other member planets?

According to the CC spelling, the Vulcan ship was called the: Vaankara....the Vulcan 'pathologist'/psychiatric analysts' name was: Dr. Fer'at.

And...just how long did the Enterprise take to get refit? Seems like it was well more than a week, in whichever case, Duras seemed to be just outside of the Terran System as they were within range of the Enterprise before it went into warp, suggesting he was lingering around Earth for quite a while unnoticed....just seems like one hell of a loophole to me... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Xindi probe entrance reminds me of how the Borg Sphere in First Contact entered 2067's to fire on Earth. How nice.

I don't mind the Intrepid, I don't mind the Klingon BOP, and I really don't mind the phase canons just appearing out of nowhere... but everything else kinda bothers me. I hope the series ends after the third season.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
That Xindi probe entrance reminds me of how the Borg Sphere in First Contact entered 2067's to fire on Earth. How nice.

And funly enough it enters orbit exactly where The E-E did - when we see Borgafied earth - we see Florida, Cuba etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God. People whining about photo torpeedos is exactly why I dont come to these forums very often.

The tech of trek is cool and all but some people just take it way too seriously.

It was a very enjoyable episode and better then anything else on at the time. I'm willing to put money on Enterprise lasting seven seasons.

Cue Comic Book Guy image.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://membres.lycos.fr/trexxbonbon/s2e26/e226A037.jpg

Yay! They are using the original series Starfleet Logo as seen in Starbases and on the pennent of the Enterprise!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps