Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech to expand your summer! ["The Expanse" Spoilers] (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Tech to expand your summer! ["The Expanse" Spoilers]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because she was a moron?
Because it would have ended the series?
It certainly would have been the smart thing to do for her crew's sake if nothing else....
How many crewmen died after that episode?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in Q-Who, Picard practically begged for Q to spare the lost crewmembers, to no avail.. Q's wishes are Q's wishes, requests are irrelevant.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Because she was a moron?
It certainly would have been the smart thing to do for her crew's sake if nothing else....

The fact that it would have ended the series is irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I merely stated which episodes and films I would remove if I could do that to create my own personal canon. If you don't agree, fine, but don't complain about my choice, because I have every right to have my own opinion, and I'm not going to change it merely because you are all insulting me.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know Q they didn't ask Q for help?

And, if you really want to drag this out, maybe Q didn't help because he knew that in all cases the Federation would surive and learn from the experience. Maybe if they were faced with annihalation, he would help. But they haven't been, so he hasn't.

Apart from in "All Good Things", where he did help (sort of).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And, if you really want to drag this out, maybe Q didn't help because he knew that in all cases the Federation would surive and learn from the experience. Maybe if they were faced with annihalation, he would help. But they haven't been, so he hasn't.

Or maybe he was hoping they would be annihilated, so that he could finally be rid of humanity. A greivously savage child-race, the lot of them!

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:
Because she was a moron?

The fact that it would have ended the series is irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I merely stated which episodes and films I would remove if I could do that to create my own personal canon. If you don't agree, fine, but don't complain about my choice, because I have every right to have my own opinion, and I'm not going to change it merely because you are all insulting me.

Hey! I'm not insulting you!
Jerk! [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Perhaps, but remember that in "Parallels," we saw an alternate reality (or at least people from one) where the Borg DID destroy the Federation...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then that was up to the Q of that reality.

Regardless, the Q have given absolutly no indication that they'd even lift a finger if the universe was going to be wiped out, as long as they'd be okay. Our Q does show some signs of actually liking humanity, since in addition to carrying out the Q's sentence that humanity be wiped out, he also helped Picard figure out how to save humanity. And you could also argue that Q helped humanity fight the Borg by letting them know that they were coming.

But regardless, having the crew ask the local deus ex machina for help every time they were in danger would make no sense dramatically, and no sense from a character point of view. The one time Picard did ask for help, he was refused. Wiping the Q out of continuity because of some strange idea that the crew should get down on their knees and prey to them is ever so slightly absurd.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How do they know that?

He turns up enough...

If I knew an omnipotent being and my species was about to be defeated by the Dominion, I'd definitely try to ask him.

And Janeway met him several times without asking him to get her home. She even helped end a Civil War in the Q Continuum and didn't ask for his help.

Keep in mind Q did offer to take Janeway home if she agreed to do the nasty with him...

...so you can't say he didn't offer...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
[QB] Jesus! I had blocked out the god-awful "captain Janeway falls in love on the Holodeck" nightmare!!!!
Fuck. Now I'll wake up screaming again.
Thanks alot Phoenix.

I'd really love to see Starfleet Command's debrifing on her screwing photons and the effect it must have had on the crew's morale. [Wink]

What? It's only a 24th century vibrator! She just turned the holodeck into a holosuite.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally saw this ep, and from what I saw, I dig the earth ships.

The "Steamrunner" design looks like basically an NX class saucer with 1 catamaran down the center line and the two nacelles breaking off of it.

The "Norway" design looks like a big triangle with little folded up nacelle struts.

I'm going to look the screen caps over and try to put together a couple of sketches, though I bet Reverand could do better. [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
^Or is it...Braga did hint that Ent takes place in an alternate timeline on the other hand.

Please God may this be true.

I am beginning to suspect that someone (probably Riker) dropped a PADD with the schematics of the Akira Class on the floor in FC. [Smile]

Yes, Braga said it. I don't have the link off hand, but the star trek Board at tvshowboards.com had an article. Unfortunately the site seems to be down this morning.
Basically, though, he said that First Contact branched out a new timeline, and that's where ENT takes place.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
TAS is canon - Uhura dancing naked in TFF is not. [Smile]

Uhura dancing naked is akin to french kissing Chtuhlu. [Razz]
It wou;dn't have been if we could've seen it during TOS, but, yeah, by the time of ST5, it sure was.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's what I've said from day one - ENT does not happen a hundred years before TOS. It happens a hundred years after "First Contact". If you take a look at it from that perspective, the series makes a whole lot more sense. I still think that it can fit into the continuity - over the past two years we've managed to explain away just about everything on this forum.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

To be pedantic (again), the timeline has changed roughly 7 billion times since we first saw "The Man Trap". If you wanted to, you could place every single episode of Star Trek in one of the many, many alternative dimensions that we've seen ("Parallels" was fun).

So yeah, Enterprise could be a new timeline. But it's almost certainly a timeline that still contains TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps