Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Emissary (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Emissary
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... good point. Any straight corridors in the saucer would be "spoke" corridors coming out from the center of the saucer, meaning no rooms off those corridors could be facing space on any bulkhead parallel to them. The wall with the windows on it is running parellel to the corridor Sisko entered from, IIRC.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a pic of a Miranda handy - could it be on a "deck two" i.e. under the bridge? The passageway runs straight and only the compartments on the either end have windows?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I once heard there had been plans to make the 1701 saucer detachable via exploding bolts already in "TMP", but it was scrapped due to budget reasons.

If you are referring to TMP itself, the whole saucer-separation at the end of the movie was used in two alternate endings Andy Probert proposed, but neither were really considered. Andy did design the TMP Enterprise model with the separation line (and how it would work can be seen in The Art of Star Trek), but the fact that the model can't separate wasn't a factor of budget, just that the script didn't call for it.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They talked about separating the ship as an emergency maneuver as early as TOS "The Apple." Kirk to Scotty:
Discard the warp drive nacelles if you have to and crack out of there with the main section but get that ship out of there!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although "main section" doesn't necessarily mean the saucer. He cold have meant everything but the nacelles.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
AFAIK, Starfleet Dynamics calls the torp-podded Oberth top "Asmodeus class" and the four-nacelled courier "Clarke class"...
Timo Saloniemi

There was a four nacelled Oberth prior to mine!?
So much for originality in kitbashes (sigh).

Why would Starfleet call a class of ship "Asmodeous" class? How 'bout "Satan" class or "Lucifer" class while we're naming ships after demons.
Dumb.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sympathy for the devil...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see the dedication plaque now...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heil Hitler!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Perfect for a Fed ship, yessiree.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Sisko quarters... hang on - who says they are quarters? Show where the bulkhead has ripped/burnt/exploded away. They are way too big to be windows even for another class - who'd have such large windows in their quarters? No ship ever has before.

The profile of those bulkhead structures looks like how people have 'sideon' walls depicted in MSDs.

PLUS maybe they didn't have windowed quarters there were three of them in those quarters and maybe it's where even more of the ship has been ripped away.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we could interrupt the window as a solid sheet that would have decorative pieces placed around it for both extra strength and to make it look like the windows we are used to.

Edit: at least for that large section of quarters, which might include everything from Jake's room, across the commons area, to Benifer's room [that's funny, in a very sick way].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It could be a datcare or the ship's classroom fow all we know: Ben nad Jennifer wouldbe both gone racing to get Jake in an emergency.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mike XLVII:
an Oberth upper hull with no pylons or additions would be a Darwin-class scout from the SotSF/Recognition Chart milieu..

Didn't we work out in a thread from Flare past that the first three shillohettes on that chart are the Enterprise-ringship broken into three sections to make three new ships.

I think the Ariadne was the 'ring' part. Lombardy? the 'connecting neck/stick' and the first one the 'forward habitable section'.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
How 'bout "Satan" class or "Lucifer" class while we're naming ships after demons.
Dumb.

USS Lucifer, NCC-521, Siva class destroyer, from the Franz Joseph Star Fleet Technical Manual. The whole class is named after 'bad' and/or 'warlike' gods (or maybe just after TV-SF/Fantasy villains) - Ares, Hathor, Iblis, Jugurtha, Loki, Mars, Molock, Tyr.

By the 23rd century Satan may well be regarded as being in the same mythological category as Mars and Loki.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps