Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Emissary (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Emissary
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understood it, the rest of the Reliant's crew (aside from Terrell and Ckekov) was marooned on Ceti Alpha V. From Kirk's log near the end of the movie:

quote:
Captain's Log, Stardate eighty-one, thirty-one, point six. Starship Enterprise departed for Ceti Alpha Five to pick up the crew of the USS Reliant.
They may have forced them to teach them how to fly it, but they didn't keep them aboard later. (And also, I don't think Kirk wouldn't have attempted to save the crew if they had been aboard).
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Kirk was asking questions...
I wonder how many crew Reliant had...and how many died on Ceti Alpha V: that was a really small shelter that Kahn's gang had to live in after all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The novelization suggested that some of the Reliant crew were eeled-up and made to work in Engineering, for example.

Reliant was able to paste the Enterprise AND keep fighting after major damage to photon control and warp drive - they even managed to fix almost all of that by the time they hit the Mutara nebula. On fifty people, tops? It's a good argument that they can function on that amount of regular crew in the TNG era, automating tons of stuff.

Starfleet: the Federation's greatest make-work program. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you'll recall, Tyrell told Kirk & co that the Reliant's crew had been marooned just after they found him and Chekov on Regula-1.
As for how Khan's people managed to crew and repair the Reliant so quickly; for one thing they are 'superhuman' and I think it was noted in 'Space Seed' how quickly Khan assimilated the data tapes they gave him. Also he had access to Tyrell and through him the Reliant's command codes so he could call up whatever info they needed to get things running.
However it's not as if they were as competent as a fully trained crew, for one they didn't change the prefix code nor could Khan find the override in a hurry.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I remember that bit of "Space Seed"... also, being genetically enhanced, I suppose that means they can go for longer periods without sleep. Which would be very helpful in order to run a ship with only 50 people.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eelish crew thing was a novel reference, not canon. It's just one way the author thought up to cover the notion that Khan's crew couldn't do EVERYTHING.

By most estimations the movie didn't last much more than a couple days at most, between the first encounter between ships to the destruction of Reliant. Going a day or more without sleep is not unknown for Starfleet crews, even cadets.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the Bico?? From "Hero Worship" had Family - but that after all wasn't a Starfleet ship. And we've seen Oberth run with like 8 people.

How many were on the Tsiolkovsky!?! There seemed to be a lot. Come to think of it what did the Tsiolkovsky bridge look like?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Biko was a Starfleet ship and was from another episode. The ship you are referring to from "Hero Worship" was the SS Vico. And I do find it a little unusual for a ship to be run by only eight people, even though the Oberth class is a small ship. I also find it very unusual for the (U)SS Raven to be run by only two people (who also had to care for a third person, their daughter).

The (KE) Tsiolkovsky had a crew of 80. The only glimpse of the bridge was, for the most part, just the aft wall with a big hole in it where there was once a hatch that had been blown.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

However it's not as if they were as competent as a fully trained crew, for one they didn't change the prefix code nor could Khan find the override in a hurry.

Why couldnt they get any info on Genesis?
They wanted it from Kirk but they were on the starfleet ship assigned to the project!

Why would Kirk know anything more than Tyrell?
..and dont give me that "cuz he's an Admiral" crap: he was a air traffic controller with a title.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He did seem to have some sort of personal involvement in the Genesis Project though. The promo-vid shown in ST III had to have been made before the events of ST II, and it would have made no sense for him to narrate them unless he had some sort of involvement.

(And yes, I know it's because they didn't want to pay whatzerface to appear again as Carol, but we're not talking about that.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

HUh?
In STII, Kirk knew nothing about Genesis back in STII, and in STIII, you saw kirk's report on it to the Federation with clips of Dr. Marcus' demo movie tossed in because they looked so cool.

Kirk was'nt involved at all in Genesis' development(unless he lost his memory or something: he had a history of sporadic memory loss in TOS, as I recall).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) I wonder if Kirk was supposed to be the commandant of Starfleet Academy at the time?

2.) "The promo-vid shown in ST III had to have been made before the events of ST II"

On what do you base this? (Assuming it isn't something obvious, like a stardate I've never paid attention to.)

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impression that I got watching TWOK was that he knew something about Genesis. Carol didn't find it any odd that Kirk would know about it for example. She wasn't outraged that he knew about it, but that he was ordering it to be used for military purposes.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Phht.
Find me an ex-girlfriend that cant assume the worst about you.

She wouldnt be suprised he knew about Genesis because he was Admiral and famous guy.

Kirk clearly knows jack about it when he and Spock pull it up in the computer: otherwise, why go to all the bother?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
HUh?
In STII, Kirk knew nothing about Genesis back in STII,

Er, what have you based that on? The moment Genesis is mentioned, Kirk starts looking paniced. The Genesis marketing video scene implies that Kirk is showing the footage for Spock and McCoy's benefit. He certainly doesn't seem surprised by any of the information that it contains.
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:

2.) "The promo-vid shown in ST III had to have been made before the events of ST II"

On what do you base this? (Assuming it isn't something obvious, like a stardate I've never paid attention to.)

Actually, I haven't checked the stardate, but it makes most sense. I can't really see Kirk stopping and making a promotional video of Genesis between films. If nothing else, I'm sure he talks about Genesis in a theoretical sense throughout (as Carol did), rather than mentioning that they'd already used it. They are going to do tests, rather than they have already done so.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps