Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Emissary (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Emissary
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, on the other hand, have always assumed that Kirk recorded his testimony after Star Trek II in response to the Federation Council's investigation. It's not like he's really busy during that time.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone who is less cool than me get the script and work out what Kirk is actually saying. That should give us a better clue.

And I still say that he never gives the impression at any point during STII that he doesn't know what Genesis is.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you'll recall, Tyrell told Kirk & co...
quote:
Why would Kirk know anything more than Tyrell?
Really? I thought Roy Batty killed Tyrell back in 2019...

Oh you guys mean Capt. Terrell! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
If you'll recall, Tyrell told Kirk & co...
quote:
Why would Kirk know anything more than Tyrell?
Really? I thought Roy Batty killed Tyrell back in 2019...

Oh you guys mean Capt. Terrell! [Big Grin]

Paul Winfield: More human than human.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I, on the other hand, have always assumed that Kirk recorded his testimony after Star Trek II in response to the Federation Council's investigation. It's not like he's really busy during that time.

Exactly.

Enterprise is boned: seriously damaged, they mabye do a quick spin of the area surrounding the Genesis planet (to shoot off Spock and for Jim to give his little speach) and then they had to retrieve Reliant's crew (probably not really close based on Reliant's original return time to the station).

Then they met another ship somewhere on the way back to Spacedock, dropped off the trainees and Reliant's crew, managed to blow up part of the torpedo bay and do some makeshift patching of the secondary hull's damage.

More than enough time for Kirk and company to be throughly grilled over the incident by Starfleet Command and to prepare that little presentation for the Council.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1.) I wonder if Kirk was supposed to be the commandant of Starfleet Academy at the time?

Well according to the script on ST-Minutiae , this dialog that I don't quite recall answers that, as well as an eariler "Space Seed" reference made by someone else:

quote:

KHAN (RE: the Reliant)
It's not much different from Enterprise. (beat)
When I was a guest aboard her some years ago, Captain Kirk kindly allowed me to memorize her technical manuals.

And now, Mr. Chekov, let us review: You say you have no details of Project 'Genesis' ?

CHEKOV
Beyond what I told you, sir, it is classified information.

KHAN
Umm. And would Admiral Kirk have access to such information?

CHEKOV
I would think so, sir. He's on the Fleet General Staff.

quote:
2.) "The promo-vid shown in ST III had to have been made before the events of ST II"

On what do you base this? (Assuming it isn't something obvious, like a stardate I've never paid attention to.)

It was never specifically stated one way or the other that Kirk was aware of Genesis, despite what Chekov said. Spock, however, specifically stated that he had no knowledge of Genesis:

quote:

KIRK
Give up Genesis, she said. What in God's name does that mean? Give it up to whom?

SPOCK
It might help my analysis if I knew what Genesis was.

Then while watching the tape there is a small exchange where Spock is impressed with the inital description and Kirk say "wait" as in 'it only gets better', implying Kirk has seen it before.

Anyway, thats my take on it...

"Emissary" to "The Wrath of Khan"....quite a gear change. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I have the nice normal version of TWOK (the one with Scotty explaining about his nephew in engineering) and I've never heard any of those Kahn-Chekov lines much less Kirk's "it only gets better" line....I take it this was never filmed or put into the SE.

If Kirk knew about Genesis, it sure doesnt come across that way onscreen.
Why else would he say "What the God's name is Genesis?" if he'd already seen the demo?

Is there any mention of WHY Kahn thinks Kirk would have acess to Genesis but Terrell wouldnt?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I have the nice normal version of TWOK (the one with Scotty explaining about his nephew in engineering) and I've never heard any of those Kahn-Chekov lines much less Kirk's "it only gets better" line....I take it this was never filmed or put into the SE.

No, he only said "Wait..." as if saying "Wait, it only gets better..." and I agree, I didn't rememeber that Khan/Chekov conversation either. Seems to me, ye ole' MinuteMan needs a more accurate script on his site... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
[QUOTE]No, he only said "Wait..." as if saying "Wait, it only gets better..." and I agree, I didn't rememeber that Khan/Chekov conversation either. Seems to me, ye ole' MinuteMan needs a more accurate script on his site... [Big Grin]

More accurate than the shooting script? Just cuz it ain't in the movie don't mean it wasn't in the script. Hell, whole scenes were rearranged in editing in TWOK.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
If Kirk knew about Genesis, it sure doesnt come across that way onscreen.
Why else would he say "What the God's name is Genesis?" if he'd already seen the demo?

He never said "What in God's name is Genesis" in any version of the movie I've seen.

He said "Genesis, what's that?" in a rather poor attempt to fool Khan after he had already seen the Genesis demo.

Kirk was head of Starfleet Operations after he was promoted to Admiral following the first five year mission and might have returned to that position after a second five year mission or immediately after the V'ger Incident. The TWoK script makes it look as if Kirk still holds the Chief of Operations position (he cuts Sulu's orders to take command of Excelsior in the script).

I would think the head of Starfleet Operations would be privy to information regarding Genesis.

Clearly he knew about it because when Carol Marcus asks "Why are you taking Genesis away from us?" he doesn't ask what Genesis is, he's merely shocked someone would try and take it.

And Dr. Marcus is not surprised that he would have access to the information, she even believes it's possible that he would give the order to take Genesis because she asks him if he did.

There's nothing in the movie that gives the impression that he doesn't know what Genesis is.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmmm...I'll have to watch it (yet) again.

The real thing that I'm suprised no one ever brings up is that Kirk was aware what had happened to Kahn's people and didint send anyone to help them.

What a bastard.

In TWOK, Chekov is whining about having creatures in his brain (sissy) and says "Sir...it was Kahn! He blames you..."
Kirk: "I know what he blames me for!"

How the fuck did he know that unless he knew about the supernova (and it's not like starfleet should have somehow missed a star in their own space exploding!)?
Also, Starfleet would've kept some kind of tabs on ol' Kannie.

way I see it, Kirk is the movie's real villain.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"way I see it, Kirk is the movie's real villain."

lol, comments like that could start nerd holy wars! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A *planet* exploded, not a star. If it were an M-class world, odds are that casual scans might miss it. Ceti Alpha might be out in the sticks as far as the Federation was concerned, so it's not especially likely that anyone really noticed. It was MORE dumb that Reliant warped into the system to find one *less* planet floating around without mentioning it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or why the Reliant's scans didn't pick up that big honking piece of metal or the 50 human beings scouring about outside it.

Not to mention the way Kirk apparently secrectly exiled one of the biggest bad guys in Earth's history back in "Space Seed".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Wouldnt there have been lots of obvious fresh debris if a whole planet had blown itself up within the past 20 or so years?

Besides the incredible amount of energy needed to actually make the planet's pieces escape the pull of gravity and not just collapse back into itself- resulting in a very fucked planet with about the same mass.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps