Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers]
DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:Originally posted by DoughBoy05:
Admiral Gardner? Say wasn't it Captain Gardner that the Vulcans wanted to Command the Enterprise originally? The same fella that Archer, Robinson and Duval played with in the NX program? He musta kissed butt and got a promotion instead of an NX

No, Gardner was in the NX-Test Program, as well as Duvall, Robinson and Archer, no mention of his rank was mentioned at that time (meaning he could have already been a Captain or Commodore at that time). He was in the running for the first flight - not for the command of Enterprise, that was just Archer and Robinson (i think).

I thought for sure Gardner was mentionned as an alternate for command of Pre-Ent....I bet you a shiny nickel or one quatloo

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not without making too many suppositions.

Otherwise you are basing an aweful lot on Archer saying, "He wasn't alone" in response to T'Pol's comment, "Captain Robinson clearly wanted to command Enterprise as much as you did.".

Otherwise Gardner was only directly referred to as indicated in my previous post.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral Forrest, T'Pol's mother. . . who dies next? Chef?

"Comb the desert!" - how could anyone ever use that line and expect it to be taken seriously?

I've never seen such an emotional bunch of Vulcans. Monomaniacal lunacy (V'Lass), petty jealousy (T'Pau). . . Is this just crap writing, or is it meant to be indicative of how Vulcans have strayed from the teachings of Surak?

Were the mods done on the Batshuttle the actual wings and so forth, or will they be standard from now on?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me (I'm a masochist, after all): which forbidden places have phaser beams been emitted from so far?

Shi(r)Kahr was never intended to be the Vulcan capital AFAIK - but rather the Vulcan equivalent of a small midwestern town. At least this is the impression we get from the novels, and the TAS view of the city certainly doesn't impress upon us the feeling of a metropolis. The defining feature fo Shi(r)Kahr in "Yesteryear" is that it sits on the edge of the Forge, which would be a pretty silly place to build your capital on.

Spock's ritual combat in "Amok Time" was IIRC at an unspecified location, neither Mount Seleya (where the fal-tor-pan is said to take place) nor Mount Gol of "Gol Stone" fame (which supposedly is the preferred spot of the Kolinahru, but only in the novels).

Agreed that the inability to use transporters due to the Forge effects would explain why Kirk and pals landed in ST3. Not that they wouldn't have done that in any case, having a landing-capable ship and all. The quiz machines of ST4 don't spell a role here, as we have no reason to believe that the location in ST4 would be the same as that in ST3. Indeed, Vulcans would probably *seriously* frown upon our heroes parking their pile of junk on the foothills of the Holy Mountain for any length of time; the ST4 location more probably is just a local starport of some sort, quite a distance from Mount Seleya or the Forge.

Timo Saloniemi

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah Ha! Found it!

From Shadows of P'Jem
Forest "I'm afraid I can't agree with that, Ambassador. This was a volatile situation long before Starfleet got involved. Perhaps if you'd been a little more open with us this tragedy might have been avoided."

Soval "We warned you something like this would happen. He's too impulsive. Captain Gardner would
have made a far more suitable commanding officer."

Forrest "The Vulcan Consulate doesn't make command assignments here."

Now...where my Quatloo [Smile]
If you don't have one I can lend you one to pay me off with [Smile]

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Shi(r)Kahr was never intended to be the Vulcan capital AFAIK - but rather the Vulcan equivalent of a small midwestern town. At least this is the impression we get from the novels, and the TAS view of the city certainly doesn't impress upon us the feeling of a metropolis. The defining feature fo Shi(r)Kahr in "Yesteryear" is that it sits on the edge of the Forge, which would be a pretty silly place to build your capital on.
You're assuming that The Forge was always a harsh wilderness. If Vulcan really did endure millennia of global war cycles then it's quite possible that the current harsh desert environment, which seams to be prevalent across the planet was in fact caused by these successive wars and that Vulcan might have once been a more hospitable place.
If that is the case then it stands to reason that the historic Capital would have been the focus of many attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the city is subterranean, if not for shelter from the ancient bombings then from the harsh climate.
Indeed you might even postulate that The Forge itself was the product of one such attack and the dampening properties are the reminent of a weapon dropped on the area, meant to disrupt technology and it's effects have somehow endured to the present.

As for why they landed the Bird of Prey, I can imagine several possible answers.

1 - Spock's apparently deteriorating condition made it dangerous to transport him.
2 - It isn't wise to be parking a Klingon ship in orbit of a major Federation world, especially when you're wanted fugitives.
3 - Mt.Selaya is a religious preserve and as such is outside the jurisdiction of Starfleet, allowing Sarek to give the ship and crew sanctuary.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone notice the fleet shots in the trailer for next week's episode? I swear I saw at least one of those CGI-concepts published in the ST Mag (does anyone still have the scans of that article?)

Here's the link to the promo for those who haven't seen it yet (startrek.com is a little late this week. They didn't post the new desktops yet either.)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STILL no frickin' combat cruisers.

I'm guessing there might be a legal reason we don't see 'em anymore. Plus, the changing / outsourcing of various FX studios may have caused the older (and better, IMO) design to be lost in the shuffle.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The D'Kyr-type *is* the combat cruiser. They've said that in dialogue. The only reason why we saw a modified Surak/Suurok as one in the first episode or two which called for them was because they didn't have a new model completed. So don't be surprised.

That being said, it was exceedingly lazy of them to reuse the Vahklas model in this manner. However, I certainly prefer to see more focus on story than special effects, so I think it all balances out.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant to say "Enterprise has," instead of had. Had implies I'm talking about this episode, which I'm not, not having seen it. I meant that, over the past four years the ship has often fired from places it probably should not have.

Re: Timo's request: I haven't really kept track, though I'm sure someone has. Uh, it seems to me that on a few occasions phase cannon beams have come from the dorsal side. In that episode where Archer is arrested by the Klingons, for example. Nothing up close and blatant, but it seemed clear from the angle Enterprise was at compared to the position of its target that the known ports couldn't be the source.

Though it seems to me that not being able to shoot "up" is a fairly serious problem. But I may be overlooking something.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CGI model has six dorsal ports, identical in appearance to the six ventral ports, from which the cannons can be deployed. While I'm dubious about the reasoning for this to be done, I'm a firm believer that the three or four actual phase cannons they have can be moved by rail or something from one position to another.

As for the D'Kyr, well, I still wanna see the older ones. So there. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That being said, it was exceedingly lazy of them to reuse the Vahklas model in this manner. However, I certainly prefer to see more focus on story than special effects, so I think it all balances out.
Agreed on both points. However, it's more realistic to see the Vahklas model used again (this time with a red color like the D'kyr-type, and not the brownish color of the original Vahklas) than the survey vessels from the 1950's ("Carbon Creek"). Especially since they're now scaled down to shuttlepod size.

Re: The older Vulcan ship: Maybe they don't use it anymore because they lost the model a la the Norway.

Re: New Vulcan ship in next week's teaser: I believe I also saw a different Vulcan ship, although it could just have been the angle. I thought I saw a large ship which had a tube-like body similar to the Surak/Suurok "combat cruiser", but the warp ring didn't seem to go all the way around. It was shown for only a few seconds, and then the scene changed. Maybe it's the three-nacelled "future cruiser" [Wink]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
...than the survey vessels from the 1950's ("Carbon Creek"). Especially since they're now scaled down to shuttlepod size.

It wasn't really scaled to anything in the first place, save maybe Sputnik, to really judge if it was scaled down or not.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I've gone through the next trailer in detail, and I can't see anything besides the three Vulcan designs seen in this episode. I doubt they'll slap one together for this episode unless there's someone on it to make it worthwhile, and I think V'Las will be commanding his fleet from home. Besides, Vulcan has up to a hundred years or more before they start using Federation designs for their exploration, that we know of.

Likewise, I only see the one known Andorian design... While it's not unusual for Trek to do fleet scenes with only one class of ship per species, I'd have hoped they could whip something up for the Blue Fleet.

Mark

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one. I've located the scans on my HD, the image is from the last scene in the trailer, the fleet heading away from the camera.

-

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps