Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute if true!

My biggest beef with issues like this is not "Why don't we see this ship or that again?" but "Why do they have so many ship designs in the first place?".

I'd hope the answer to be that certain ship types are good for certain kinds of missions. The "plain" Surak ringship could be a deep space explorer with little or no combat value and little or no reason to loiter near Vulcan. But the "Fusion" ship lookalikes, no matter what color, supposedly still would be freighters. Okay to see them near Vulcan, I guess, but why have them in a combat fleet near Earth?

As for this "three phase guns aboard NX-01" thing, I rather think that the missing nine were installed as soon as possible after "Silent Enemy". The few that made an appearance before "The Expanse", but after "Fallen Hero" had nailed down the location of the final of the original three, would have to be something Reed cobbled together out of spare parts. I could just barely believe that the ventral guns can move to the corresponding dorsal locations, but it doesn't make sense that the ones on the upper and lower central superstructure would horizontally move to the rim or boom ports!

A phase gun firing from a navigation light is BAD. Especially because all the former shots have apparently been fired from the twelve gunports that truly exist on the model. Why the slipup now? Have the torpedo animators been drafted to do phase beams? [Roll Eyes]

I'd still like Shi(r)Kahr to be something other than the capital, just out of spite. It might make sense for major Melder families like Sarek's to choose to inhabit a small town near the mythical Forge, rather than the more secular, more urban and more central parts of the planet...

And I'm still a sucker for the idea that the Forge and Mount Seleya represent ancient, even prehistoric mythos for Vulcans. When I see Diane Duane's work crumble around me, at least the relevant passages from "Spock's World" still might remain...

Timo Saloniemi

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot this:

- T'Pau is hot.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who'd've thunk?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But T'Pau has the wrong accent...

"Aartt thee huuman or aart thee vuwlcaan!?!"

Does anyone have a guide to Vulcan ships!?! I'm confused with the discussion of all the different types! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, another thing. . . In one of the Pratchett books, there's an adventurer who's spent his whole life searching for the Fountain of Eternal Youth. Rincewind the wizard asks him whether he might have been better off doing something useful with and enjoying what life he was actually guaranteed. . . I was reminded of that when T'Pau said she's spent all that time looking for the Kir'Shara - but didn't think to look down that corridor right next to the Sacred Katra-Juggling Spot.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
You forgot this:

- T'Pau is hot.

Gods above, I pray you are not referring to the actress from Amok Time. [Wink]

I'm impressed that the current actress actually looks as though she could become the older actress.
I wonder if that was a consideration in choiosing her for the role?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I was reminded of that when T'Pau said she's spent all that time looking for the Kir'Shara - but didn't think to look down that corridor right next to the Sacred Katra-Juggling Spot.

I thought that was pretty goofy as well.
Why didn't the Katra's former...er...host(?) lead them down that corridor months before?

It's pretty silly to think it was waiting for Archer to show up.

I am really enjoying the dialogue between Soval and Trip: the whole bit about Soval's affinity for Earth and it's people- "you sure hid it well" / "Thank you." was as funny as anything from the TOS crew.

My VCR is magically recording programs from this universe again so this is the fist episode I've seen from this season: I'm not too lost: I'm still getting a very GWB vibe from this "preemptive war" bit.
Good acting on behalf of the actor that played Admiral Leyton: He's good at playing power-crazy officials.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GWB?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

George W Bush.
American President.
Kinda looks like a chimp.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that T'Pau and her dawgs have been down there a bunch of times before... But without knowledge that it's hidden in a place like that, OR sophisticated scanners to find it, they've probably walked by there a hundred times without a clue.

As for why Surak didn't get someone else to look for it, I think it has to do with him being stuck in a human. With Archer's experience and alien perspective, not to mention being implanted in an alien physiology, Surak might be able to do things (and be motivated to do them) than he ever was when in a Vulcan. Note for example that we don't see Vulcans walking around doing things they don't want to. Granted we've only ever really seen katras in humans, but it seems that when IN a human, diffferent rules apply.

And yeah, I'm sure the Vulcan ~ US Government is a deliberate parallel. My fellow Canadian fans have been discussing this IRL, and we think it's a half Cold War, half Middle East sort of thing, with an emphasis on the latter. Once more, Trek is able to look at issues normal network shows won't touch, albeit in a relatively superficial manner this time.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
But T'Pau has the wrong accent...

"Aartt thee huuman or aart thee vuwlcaan!?!"

Does anyone have a guide to Vulcan ships!?! I'm confused with the discussion of all the different types! [Big Grin]

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/vulcan_ships.htm

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, 110 years is plenty of time to learn a new accent. Or, the UT uses creative license depending on what version you're using. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Or she has (logically cheap) vulcan dentures after 110 years of living in the desert and her annunciation suffers for it.
Plus, she's older than dirt by TMP, so mabye she's a bit batty after a century in the sun.

Would've been fucking hysterical if she started speaking in "thees" and "thous" right after the unsuccessful katra-extraction! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
T'Pau's attempted fal-tor-pan on Archer failed (she said that Surak had chosen to remain in Archer), so I guess we don't yet have a contradiction of the claim in ST3 that it had only been performed in "ages past" in legend. Of course, it could be that she just didn't hear about it. Because, presumably, they'll get Surak out of Archer's head eventually.

Was that really even the Fal-Tor-Pan? Literally meaning "re-fusion," I thought that was a ritual specifically designed to transfer a katra back to its *original* owner after they had being separated for some reason. Just transferring a "slave" katra *between* owners doesn't seem like the same thing. At least, one would think that it would be called something other than a "re-fusion." (After all, neither Archer nor T'Pau had been fused with the katra before.)

I really liked this episode, but I'm still quite befuddled as to how the Syrrannites were concealing their base at the T'Karath Sanctuary without the use of technology. And it bothers me that there would be such a glaring plot hole as this.

And just to get things straight, nobody ever said that was ShirKahr, and I agree that it has never been portrayed as or implied to be the Vulcan capital. Nor was it stated or implied that any of the locations in ST3-ST4 were in the Forge, and it would furthermore seem that they were not, as technology seemed to function fine in both. Same goes for the "Amok Time" location, to which Kirk and Spock beamed down from the Enterprise. Let's not go inventing excessive geographical coincidences where they aren't called for.

(Then again, it would appear that there have been adaptations in at least some technologies by the 23rd century to the conditions of the Forge, allowing the surface skimmers seen in "Yesteryear." Either that or the le-matya attack took place on the edge of the geomagnetic anomaly.)

As to new ships in next week's promo, there are none that I can see. The one in Kyle's screencap is the same D'Vahl design seen in this episode as the orbital patrol craft.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've stated that Volcan brains are more advanced then Human brains, in a lot of ways. maybe a concous vulcan host of a katra can't be controlled, or 'tunes out' the background noise.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps