Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers] (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the whole point of this exercise was to point out that whatever the ENT writers say or fail to say about Shi(r)Ka(h)r, it will be *perfectly consistent* since we currently know nothing about the issue...

So, we're waiting.

And while we're waiting, can we go through our archives and see if there ever has been something called "planetary capital" in canon Trek? I think there were references to capitals on both Bajor and Cardassia (as in, "the troops are approaching the capital, sir!"), yet a general failure to actually give names to these capitals.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Searching the scripts, I can find no names for capitals. Although the Bajoran Capital is sometimes written with.. capitals, so it might simply be called Capital.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the Bajoran equivalent of capital anyway [Wink]

Anyway... the city looked cool

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
Earth may be the capital of the Federation, but since there are no different nations on this planet anymore, ther'd be no need for a capital city.

There are no independently goverened nations, but countries still exist as unqie entities even two hundred years after this. Not only do they mention the names of the places, but Americans still have American accents, the Irish haev Irish accents, and the French sound...RSC English, for some reason.

Paris, Washington DC, Berlin, Moscow etc are probably still refered to as the coutry capitals, even if it's just a historical thing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they talk about the 'main planet' of a system - i.e. Cardassia Prime - I am assuming it IS the main planet... i.e. "prime importance" - or is it the '1st' planet - closest to the star? Or is it a prime-number!! [Big Grin]

Might the capital be 'whatever-prime'?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chances of those alien races having their home planet be closest to the sun isn't great, so I go with "Prime".

They couldn't call the capital "whatever-prime" though, as the main planet of the Cardassian Empire is called Cardassia, so the capital city would be called "Cardassia-Prime", and that's also used as a name for the planet. So, no.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I seem to remember Dukat or someone making reference to a Cardassia ____ once or twice.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some planets were named as if they lay in the Cardassian system. At least Cardassia IV was a class M planet where Bajoran prisoners did some manual mining, and apparently was NOT the same as Cardassia Prime. And Cardassia Prime is indeed equated with Cardassia I in the DS9 Tech Manual, if not anywhere else. Coincidence? Or proof that Prime isn't the word used for "capital worlds" after all? We don't hear of other "Prime" worlds, now do we?

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth Prime. But then, didn't it get conquored by Kromags?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Timo
Member # 245

No, Cromags took Giedi Prime and devolved into the Harkonnen. And Earth Prime wasn't deemed hot enough, so they changed it to Venus Prime and put the chick on the cover.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Kligon capital simply and unoriginally known as the "First City"?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we even know if the Klingons still live on their planet of origin?
Was Praxis orbiting their homeworld (Spock's idiotic line ablut "depleting their ozone" not withstanding) or just their key energy producing planet?
Plus, the Hurq may have scattered klingons over several systems when they conquored them.

The "Prime" thing is pretty lazy on the writer's part- as though a race as imaginative as fleshed-out as the Bajorans would really refer to a world in their system as "Bajor 8" (ow whatever the number value of the week is).

Silly to use "prime" or number designations for anything except unimnhabited/disputed worlds.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the name given for Bajor's sun (at least, its Bajoran name) ever used outside of the DS9 technical manual? I'm thinking no, but I missed a surprising number of DS9 episodes.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was not.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

What was it?

And in the interest of balance, I don't recall them ever saying "Sol" more than once or twice.

(To be honest, I can't remember them saying it at all, but I'm covering my nerd-bases. Also, maybe the Bajorans do have a name for all their planets, but the UT thinks "Flinkblop? These stupid people in front of me aren't going to know what that is, so I'll change the name to 'Bajor IV' so that they don't look stupid." Presumably the only reason why we hear "Mars" and others is because the UT knows that the people watching at home have a basic grasp of the planets making up the solar system.)

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps