Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers] (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"I ask for Fal-Tor-Pan, the re-fusion."

Okay, so he was describing what it was. That doesn't make it a literal translation.

I think it was intended to be, but even if it wasn't, there's still no indication that the term applies to procedures other than the one portrayed in that film. Even if it was just a description, that description doesn't fit what we saw in "Awakening."

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Which makes sense, being that they are vegetarians and all....

Eggs are vegetables.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
London is just a regional capital now?

Uh, did I say "now", or did just you assume it?
Er, okay, when was it just a regional capital?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume that FG means when all of Earth is a unified government, current country capitals would become regional capitals. Or something.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Left would become right, dogs would become cats, cats would become Kzin and Tim would become skinny.

But the middle-east would still be figinting over nothing in particular.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I presume that FG means when all of Earth is a unified government, current country capitals would become regional capitals. Or something.

Right. Er, did that happen then? Do we know that Cairo isn't actually the capital of the entire planet?

For that matter, why would there be a planet capital? Countries still seem to exist in Star Trek, so presumably their capitals too. Has there ever been a reference to a planet having a single capital city?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we've established an Earth capital city, but it figures there would be some equivalent to a world government body somewhere on the planet in the 22nd Century. Possibly San Francisco, where the Vulcan embassy is located (though that doesn't say much; we'll have a Japanese consulate here in Calgary soon).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does a planet even need a capital city? Starfleet is in San Fransisco, the presidential office is in Paris, the Federation council chamber is in Tokyo (at least according to the DS9TM, IIRC). Earth may be the capital of the Federation, but since there are no different nations on this planet anymore, ther'd be no need for a capital city. Especially since you can use a transporter to go everywhere on the planet in a matter of seconds, cities are probably "outdated" by the 24th century.

IF mot, maybe ShirKahr is just the capital because it's one of the oldest cities on Vulcan? I doubt Vulcans would choose the biggest or most beautiful city to be their capital. Maybe they chose ShirKahr because it has some historical meaning to them.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye they just kept ShirKahr the capital because it was least damaged by their nuclear exchanges and moving all their preserved governmental offices would have been illogical.

Logic is a great excuse to do nothing.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe there's no reason to continue to come up with rationalizations as to why ShirKahr is the capital, because it isn't.

Seriously, now, when did anyone (including myself) ever say that ShirKahr couldn't be the capital? All I recall being said is that there hasn't ever been any evidence that it was and that we shouldn't assume that.

And BTW, the Federation Council Chambers are in Marin, as per ST4. (Of course, they might easily have other chambers in other locations, perhaps not even limited to Earth.) And Paris is the capital. (The definition of capital being the location where the head of government, in this case the President, holds office.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, FFS, I wish I hadn't mentioned ShirKar. Look, there's no reason it has to be the capital, and there's no point in discussing it any further.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I made my point. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Oh, FFS, I wish I hadn't mentioned ShirKar. Look, there's no reason it has to be the capital, and there's no point in discussing it any further.

SPOCK:
I believe I just said that, Captain.

[Wink]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So....ShirKahr is the capital?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your all thinking like Humans... Who says Vulcan even HAS a capitol? I get the impression that the whole plnet was unified, 1500 years ago... With a high level of communication and travel technology they probobly just put government offices in the largest city, or near the main space port. Who knows, the Vulcan High Council (or whatever) might even just meet wherever it's nice at that time of year.

On the other tentacle, ShirKahr IS apperently an ancient city with cultural ties to Surak....

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps