Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Fal Tech Pan! ["Awakening" Spoilers]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand it doesn't need to be ShirKahr. But I seemed to remember some vague allusions to it being a capital. I believe it may have been mentioned in some book or fansite, in relation to the USS ShirKahr. But never mind that.

So, my next uneducated guess would be Vulcana Regar. Mentioned way back in TNG, and in "Fallen Hero" as the site of a treaty conference. In a typical pig-Latin Romulan sort of way, it sounds like something 'regal'. It could be the name of the capital city.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I remember reading, ShirKahr was alluded to either Spock's hometown or the Vulcan capital... the latter of which I think wasn't set in stone even in TAS.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the only times the city has been referenced on screen (amusingly, in three different spellings) are as follows:

• "Yesteryear" (AA)
    Spock's hometown, Shikahr, near the Forge.
  • "Tears of the Prophets" (DS9)
    A Miranda-class starship, the U.S.S. ShirKahr, was destroyed at the Battle of Chin'toka.
  • "Fusion" (ENT)
    Tolaris taught literature at the Shirkar Academy before giving that life up to wander the galaxy aboard the Vahklas.

I really don't see anything in any of that to indicate a palce of any particular political significance, except for perhaps the fact that Ambassador Sarek and his family lived there.

[ November 29, 2004, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk commented in "Amok Time" something along the lines of all of Vulcan being in or being represented in T'Pau. Takes on a new light if she ends up with Surak's Katra.

I was thinking the same thing about the Fal Tor Pan. The "re-fusion" hasn't been done in ages. I think the transferring of Katras must be a different term.

Frankfort, the capital of Kentucky, is not the largest city in that state. It could be conceivable that Shi(r)Kar is the capital and a smaller city.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Kirk commented in "Amok Time" something along the lines of all of Vulcan being in or being represented in T'Pau. Takes on a new light if she ends up with Surak's Katra.

He called her "all of Vulcan in one package," which I interpreted to mean an exceptional example of her species. And yeah, that would be cool. Besides, I'd rather not have Archer hold onto it too long, for fear that we'd go down the Sisko/Emissary road again...

quote:
Frankfort, the capital of Kentucky, is not the largest city in that state. It could be conceivable that Shi(r)Kar is the capital and a smaller city.
Yes, it's conceivable, but my point was that no particular significance has ever been attached to it other than its being Spock's home town. (OTOH, a SF ship was named after it, but we all know the reason for this is that it was an in-joke.) Besides, we *saw* what was presumably the capital in this episode, and it didn't look like ShirKahr. (In fact, it seemed like it was considerable distance from the Forge. Not sure what really indicates this, but the editing suggested it to me. I certainly didn't feel like the action was going on just over the hill from V'Las's office.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, IT'S A BIG CITY. Why does it matter if it is a capital or not? I mean aside for a reason to pull out the pissing trough for a pissing contest, which for some, involves the use of a soapbox to participate.

And for that matter, who is to say its not, you know, a regional capital - like London or Cairo, if it indeed needs to be a capital?

And finally, no one said starships had to be named after capital cities either. *cough*Portland*cough*Sao Paulo*cough*

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Haha. Look, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly not in any pissing contest. I was originally just replying to Harry's initial comment:

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
- We get more juicy closeups of the Vulcan city. Presumably, this could be ShirKahr, if it's the capital. It has a Star Wars look to it.

I just wanted to point out that there's no evidence or even implication of ShirKahr being the capital, so that nobody got confused. (There's probably a lot of people who haven't even seen "Yesteryear" and have heard fandom speculation on Vulcan and whatever else that could lead them to make erroneous connection between things.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"At least, one would think that it would be called something other than a 're-fusion.'"

Who says it isn't? Maybe fal-tor-pan is Vulcan for "wetware download" (assuming ancient Vulcan was ruled by cyberpunk authors). I mean, they've never actually translated it onscreen, as far as I know, so it could mean anything.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Uh...

quote:
SAREK:
I ask for Fal-Tor-Pan, the re-fusion.

Y'know? ST3?

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
- It struck me that we haven't seen a single black Vulcan yet. Did we ever see one besides
Tuvok?

His wife was black, I believe. (Because even though these are aliens and Star Trek is a show where prejudice has no place, we apparently still can't have black people married to white people.)

There were at least two black Romulans, if that helps.

I just noticed that there was an Asian-esque Vulcan in TSFS.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
But T'Pau has the wrong accent...

"Aartt thee huuman or aart thee vuwlcaan!?!"

Also, T'Lar (the Katra transfer lady from TSFS) talked the same way...it must be the mark of a priestess...or whatever she is.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
SOVAL in San Fransisco:
I ask for Egg-Fu-Young, extra gravy.

Thus, with that one meal, the future Earth/Vulcan alliance was saved...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Which makes sense, being that they are vegetarians and all....

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I ask for Fal-Tor-Pan, the re-fusion."

Okay, so he was describing what it was. That doesn't make it a literal translation.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
And for that matter, who is to say its not, you know, a regional capital - like London or Cairo, if it indeed needs to be a capital?

London is just a regional capital now?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
London is just a regional capital now?

Uh, did I say "now", or did just you assume it?

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps