Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Beware the Tantechlus Field! ["In a Mirror, Darkly" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Beware the Tantechlus Field! ["In a Mirror, Darkly" Spoilers]
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, was Cochrane there in First Contact when the Vulcan ship landed, I can't remember. Either way, the Phoenix must have a good landing system.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's this Tholian look like, or is it all done with shadows and smoke? Does the creepy screech-speech make a reappearance?
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a little hard to tell, but to me, the Tholian looked vaguely crab-like. It is entirely crystalline, with four legs and two arms that looked like they ended in pinchers.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And was it in the room with them? That is, what about its unique environmental concerns?

And man, the screeching!

(I am all excited in this thread, you see, because I won't be able to see the episode.)

I'd give it a few more arms for fun, myself, but, oh well.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tholian was in the Decon chamber and the rest of the crew were looking at "it" (Tholians have both male and female characteristics) through the window.

Tholians are comfortable with a temperature of 430 degrees Kelvin, which is 329.15 C or 624.47 F

At one point they lowered the temperature by 50 degrees K and made it uncomfortable for the Tholian. At another 50 degrees the Tholian's body will start to fracture. I'm not sure if this 100 degree drop (in total) started from the initial 430 K or at some other point (they didn't say).

If you drop the temperature enough, Tholians shatter.

"Will you kindly die?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check it out...  -

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
And was it in the room with them? That is, what about its unique environmental concerns?

And man, the screeching!

The Tholian was held in the decon chamber, with Archer and crew were talking through the window. (Me and my dad both called it simultaneously, when Archer first peeked through the window, seeing nothing, a second before the Tholian popped up from the floor to startle him (and, of course, the audience).) So they used the decon chamber to modify the atmosphere.

So the age-old question is finally answered: that really was Commander Loskene's head, and not some weird helmet. Personally, I find that answer much more satisfying, and totally fitting with the perspective of the Tholians as much more "alien" than your average Trek alien.

And yes, we do get to hear the insect-like screeching again. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
Oh, was Cochrane there in First Contact when the Vulcan ship landed, I can't remember. Either way, the Phoenix must have a good landing system

I'm afraid I'm going to have to revoke your Trekkie card, sir. [Wink] Don't you remember the dramatic moment in First Contact (the movie) when Cochrane steps forward to shake the Vulcan's hand?

And seeing the Constitution-class USS Defiant in action (i.e. actual combat) next week? I'm going to need to wear a bib to wipe off the drool! (I'd almost say that it's too bad I won't be able to see the episode until late Saturday, but I won't since the reason I won't see it is because I'll be working for the launch of Tiger next Friday. [Big Grin] Never thought I'd again be sorry to miss seeing an ENT episode as it airs...)

quote:
"Will you kindly die?"
Oooh, yeah, Phlox really can be nasty when he wants to be. John Billingsley is quote obviously the best actor on the cast (IMO), closely followed by Connor Trinneer.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- The Tholians looked almost exactly like Reverend drew them a while ago. Nice.

- The MU Tholians rely on enslaved humanoids to do some of their work.

- The (mirror) NX-01 has escape-pods. They seem to be all around the rim of the vessel, behind blowaway hull plates.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone get posts of the image scans of the Defiant damaged? (the info trader's pics before he was jammed) I recall seeing some black spots on the forward section of the primary hull but the view was sooooo brief... [Frown]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That view reminded me of the USS Constellation... it looked like it had the same saucer damage.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Audio commentary for "In a Mirror, Darkly".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant was not externally damaged as seen here.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have screencaps been posted yet?

Also, 0 Kekvin (absolute zero) is -273.15 degrees Celsius. 430 Kelvin is "only" 156.9 degrees Celsius, not 329.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design of the Constitution Class starship, as seen in TOS, I feel is a classic design. The ship looks as great as it did in 1966. I think simplicitiy is essential to calling anything classic, and this model has it. Beautiful ship.
QuinnTV
Member # 859

- posted      Profile for QuinnTV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
The Defiant was not externally damaged as seen here.

When Archer showed the stolen footage in the initial briefing, it did appear that the forward saucer was damaged.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps