Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Battlefield Saucer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Battlefield Saucer
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*scratches head*

Something with Tim's post is broken, but I'll be damned if I can't figure it out. [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that shuttlebay image with the ships overlaid was Tom's doing, as he was, for a time, collecting all sorts of information about the various ships that we've named (or, as Tim points out, nicknamed, really) Peregrine.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that one was me. We were arguing at the time as to just WHAT you could fit inside a standard GCS shuttlebay according to the blueprints, and if the starships seen in "Favor the Bold" et. al. could carry the fighters we saw to the battlefield; as it turns out, it was quite a bit.

Also, the alternate E-D from "Yesterday's Enterprise" was capable of transporting 6000 troops by design - which in my view means including barracks, logisitcal supply, and transporters/transportation to make it a viable troop carrier. Since the alternate future didn't have any significant differences in technology, and teh E-D was still the same outwardly, you can assume that in wartime a GCS could be built to similar "battleship" specs given time and resources.

The "emergency evacuation capacity" of a GCS is 15,000, which would mean lining the corridors and doubling up on rooms. Remember, Voyager once took on 200 Klingons for a brief period, and even with her expansive volume, was still doubling up on quarters. For reference, a typical aircraft carrier has less habitable space more embarked small craft or warplanes, and they support 3-5000 crew constantly!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But weren't you the one asking. . .

Oh. Well, I can't be expected to read much past the first letter, can I? Don't look into it, but I am an important person with many interesting things to do!

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction to my last post about Peregrines. In TNG- Preemptive Strike Ro slips her Maquis Raider between the nacelles of the Enterprise- and it appears for be quite small, similar in size to a runabout. Data reports it to be �A vessel of some kind is attempting to penetrate our aft shields�.the vessel that penetrated our shields is of the same design to the ships used by the Maquis.� -It�s almost as if Data doesn�t recognize the class as being constructed by the UFP. The ship Ro piloted seemed small on the outside, and on the inside as well, less room than a runabout even- It seemed to have three rooms, a cockpit, middle cargo area (that was no larger than the two person cockpit, and then there was a door behind that, for an aft cabin.
In DS9 � The Maquis II we see that the Maquis also have the Federation �Fighter� as it was two of them that took on the three runabouts.
And then starting off Voyager the Maquis had another vessel, that looked like the vessel that Ro piloted, but the scale must have been larger for all the people that got off of it- either that or it was the clown car of Trek cause they were always coming up with new Maquis crewmembers.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

For reference, a long thread on the subject: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/6/575.html
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this idea a long time ago. I think the sizes are correct. The ships could dock via the Defiant class Shuttlebay.

-

You may even "piggy-back" (oh forgive me an earth colloquialism) [Smile] a smaller ship like the defiant using the useless captain's yacht dock.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Something with Tim's post is broken, but I'll be damned if I can't figure it out."

Evidently, whatever part of the UBB is designed to automatically turn URLs into links didn't like the fact that the URL was immediately followed by a quotation mark.

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Sisco to USS nebula: "No you can't rename my ship USS Limpet, so shut it or I blow your bridge off!!")

Not that we see it very often, but having a ship capable of warp in combat would seem to be an advantage over an impulse only (warp-strafing).
At worst, the warp engines on the Defiant act as something else you have to shoot though from the side.
Now, why they bother putting ram-scoops on I'm not so sure about. Would it need to refuel that often in flight, or are ram-scoops a better/safer use of space than larger deuterium tanks?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an idea - Danubes have them too.

Here is a picture with possible various ways of mounting smaller support ships on larger ships for purposes of combat support and berthing/mother ship type thing. I'd prefer to have a Defiant on the upper docking thingie on a Nebbie than a giant sensor. Also a good way for smaller ships to get further afield, all fresh etc.

-

The holoship would make a good attack fighter mother ship.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm of the opinion that ships at least as large as the Defiant or Maquis raider would have sufficient range and endurance for it not to need piggybacking on a larger ship. I'm sure that either of them could keep their crews happy and relatively comfy for months at a time, to get to any given mission objective and back again. Wearing out your engines over the long term is hardly worth the resource expense of hard docking it to a larger ship IMO, if it can do it just as well on its own or if you can quickly modify it to do so. It's like strapping a pickup truck with a camper to the top of your RV.

Fighters, on the other hand, make perfect sense. The ones seen in DS9 can hardly be expected to keep their crews for any more than a few days at a time comfortably, if the cockpits seen in "The Maquis" are any indication.

Mark

--------------------

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur- my idea for a saucer to house a Defiant was more to serve as a mobile construction yard to repair badly damaged Defiants, or be able to transport completely disabled ones back to starbase at high warp for extensive repairs. Such piggyback dockings would only be helpful for moving people and supplies, and then why not just use transporters.

Does the UFP actually make holoships? I guess this would be mostly conjecture, but we've only seen the Son'a try to use one- and I don't recall if we saw the control interface, guess I'll have to watch again to see if it was LCARS. I've seen many site credit the holoship as a "Federation" craft though. Course it also had a cloaking device... so if it is a Federation craft someone has some explaining to do to the Rommies.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The LCARS and bridge are definitely Federation design. You don't just roll these things out of an assembly yard, of course - they probably just took an existing bulk tansport and installed a hologrid in the main cargo compartment. We've seen Starfleet turn even alien cargo bays into makeshift holodecks (DS9), so it's hardly a tough thing to do.

Mark

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

*burp*
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ohh but the Defiant looks so cool attached to the Nebbie and the Galaxy!!

I can just picture it detaching and rolling right-side-up under the Galaxy saucer before coming over the top to dispatch a nice load of Jemmie Bugs.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps