Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Battlefield Saucer (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Battlefield Saucer
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That hasn't been proven.

I'm sure they can somehow dock.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to concur on the Prometheus- It just seems more logical to build three Defiants than one Prometheus, I would not go as far to say I hate the vessel (though I did ban it from my RP fleet). I do not feel just the docking alone makes it difficult- the only reason the Enterprise Saucer re-dock was made to seem stressful was because Picard told Riker to it manually (they have an easy button for it and it's not that difficult). But for use on a warship that is going to be taking damage- and on the Prometheus there are vast docking plates- which if the hull were damaged would not be able to come back together. So if any one part is destroyed or damaged, you kinda have a problem.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, long range it would still look like one ship. And if it is as automated as Voyager made it seem, the ship would require only one set of senior officers, while three smaller ships would require three.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I always thought that that episode would have made much more sense if it was a FERENGI Maruder and it's crew stealing the Prometheus... selling it to the highest bidder.

The Romulan crew didn't act Romulan - they acted Ferengi.

Then we would have seen some awesome Ferengi combat with the D'Kora class vessels.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add to that, that the ship's phasers can apparacntly destroy a Warbird with no debris at all...(lame effects there).
You'd think that after all the times the Enterprise was stolen by a small band of goons, Starfleet would have DNA recognition scanners for command functions- on it's newest warship in particular- and during a war with shape-shifters in particular.

While certanly not canon, the backstory for a few of my designs (for JOAT) includes experimental Emergency Security Holograms that use the internal sensors to verify I.D.
Besides, an unkillable redshirt would have given the Romulans/Ferengi/Laughing Vulcan something to thik about (in the brig, naturally).

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
That hasn't been proven.

I'm sure they can somehow dock.

Nope- the hulls dont even remotely fit together.
The top section has concave ventral side while the lower section has a flat dorsal side.
It leaves about six decks of empty space between the two- open at the rear no less!
The gap is about as large as a CGS shuttlebay.

The only design that looks practical as a seperateable ship is the Zandura design -as that would split evenly into two equal starships and it seems to be a science vessel- twice the research at one time, then rejoin after a few weeks to compare notes.

I really gotta build a model of that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet computers have always struck me a wussies. The Prometheus' computer apparently knew it had been taken over by Romulans, but was perfectly happy to serve and obey them. Seska, IIRC, sat down in Janeway's chair, told the computer the Kazon were taking over, and the computer just started obeying. It locked out Starfleet access, etc. Now, I know the computers can't think or anything, and will obey whoever has clearance, but shouldn't some things just be no brainers. "All Starfleet crew on ship dead. Romulans on all decks. Hmmm... Maybe I should lock out all command systems and send an emergency signal."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone that watched a lot of 20th century movies (where man builds robot, robot becomes evil and kills man, robot builds more robots, robots take over the world) and is scared that if they make a smart computer and give it some form of control over itself that all hell will hit the fan. It's a very Founder "what you control can't hurt you" policy. If thinking holograms are possible, then AI subroutines for the ship should be as well- Terrans do have control issues though. I think someone should go to Kavis Alpha IV and work a deal out with the nanite civilization... but a ship that could think for itself, always take the best move, repair itself, repair injured crew, fight off the Borg on a nano-level would kill off any story idea one could think of.
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trouble with DNA scanners for command functions would be when a crew member finds him or herself in another's body. We've seen that more times than someone taking over the ship.
Personally, if I had a new prototype ship, with a whole new concept in hull design, I'd keep the computer as simple and as standard as possible, one less area of error checking...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a new prototype ship with a whole new concept in hull design, I'd keep the damned thing where the Romulans couldn't get to it!
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they are so SNEAKY - blasted pointy eared snoopers... we hates them forever. Especially the fat one.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

How did the Rommies capture it I wonder- At one point they stated it was impossible for a ship to slip into Federation space because of the tachyon detection network- Even the Defiant had extra security with palm scans to gain access to the ship. Sneaky indeed.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely it was outside of both Federation and Romulan space which allowed the Romulans to sneak up cloaked and board her before it was possible for the Prometheus crew to respond to the threat.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then you see how often Voyager has been ransacked, henpecked, hijacked, or just outright stolen...

Tiny reversion to that carrier saucer design.. The secondary landing pads: are they not on the angled surface of the dorsal side? Are they recessed, or is the saucer perimeter itself flat? I know that the gravity fields can technically allow craft to land on nonparallel angles to the main deck layout, but c'mon - this is Trek here. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I see why the Romulans trying to steal the ship is a problem, Andrew. Has there ever been a Romulan story that didn't involve some form of espionage? And if you squint just right, it even makes sense for the Prometheus to be in that general area. There was a war going on on the other side of the Federation, after all.

("Say, Romulan embassy, you didn't happen to see a ship that we swear was just a humble mining tug, did you?" "Uh. . . no? Maybe a changeling took it. I mean, if it was taken.") And then they could blame it on those Jem'Hadar that just happened to be "sneaking" through Romulan territory to strike distant UFP targets.

Also, while I sympathize with almost all comments on the general silliness of various Prometheus particulars, I like the ship's overall design.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

Very keen observation Mark- the saucer is pretty much a stock design, so it is angled *takes out a mallet and makes some dents*
 -

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps