Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Battlefield Saucer (Page 7)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Battlefield Saucer
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very first scene where we see Voyager was when Paris and Lt. Stadi were arriving at DS9 via shuttlecraft, presumably from another ship orbiting the station (otherwise that would have been a looooong trip - although Stadi WAS hot. [Wink] ). Right after, we go to the scene where Kim was busy being fleeced by Quark, where Paris shows up. And right after THAT, we get the scene in sickbay with Dr. Fitzgerald. In between the last two there is a purported scene where the two actually board Voyager. The book is "Voyager: A Vision of the Future". I quite distinctly remember this pic while leafing through a copy in the bookstore bargain bin some years back.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh... ok. I remember now. And Voyager was docked to the station by means of the saucer port.

Yah, I'd be interested in seeing that pic too.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The borg is about 40% too small in that scene (the hatch should be about 9-10' tall at a guess).

Of course, the fact that Voyager is an absolutely huge ship (compared with a Connie Refit, aircraft carrier or an adverage crewman) was always played down.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if the decks of the ship are 3.5 m tall, the vertical wall on the rim probably ought to be quite a bit more than 4 m, and the doorway about 3 m across at a minimum rather than maximum. The discrepancy need not be quite that great in that case. In any case, this isn't your grandfather's docking ring, compatible with the movie "travel pods"...

Somebody a bit less comatose than me could probably be bothered to measure the diameter exactly. (Or perhaps somebody already did. Was that a guesstimate or a nerdishly accurate measurement, Jason?)

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly looks like a docking ring, what with the alternating male and female connection points all around the inner ring.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that I reckon would be standard amongst most Federation starships. There is a docking port that would fit the same diameter as this on the Enterprise-D - seen used in "11001001".

The Original Doctor was called Dr. Fitzgerald?? Where'd you get that tid-bit of info? I always wondered what his and the First Officer's name was! I mean it was pretty mean to not even introduce them with a name. I mean it would have made for a bit more of a Shock when they were killed by the Caretaker's wave.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The XO's name is Cavot or Cavit or something like that. Janeway introduced Paris and Kim (or just Kim) to him on the bridge.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right.

We def didn't get the CMO's name though.

Nor the CEO - although we didn't see Engineering before the Delta Quadrant did we?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Lt. Commander Cavit to be precise.

Dr. Fitzgerald must just come from the script, though, as I don't remember ever hearing his name during the episode.

I'm pretty sure all we ever found out about the chief engineer is that he or she was dead and that Carey was next in line.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Somebody a bit less comatose than me could probably be bothered to measure the diameter exactly. (Or perhaps somebody already did. Was that a guesstimate or a nerdishly accurate measurement, Jason?)

Timo Saloniemi

Just, (as pointed out) that it's almost certainly a standard sized docking ring for Fed ships (and having seen/built that particular model, that part looks to be the "standard" size- it's not noticably larger.

The 40% thing is just my decade of printing (and scaling to match copy) experience showing itself off. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a list of casualties viewed by Seven in some episode or another, perhaps in "Ashes to Ashes" or something like that. This list had two LtCmdrs who'd almost have to be the CMO and the CEO.

As usual, I don't have the facts directly available, but perhaps this jogs the memory of somebody who has this archived?

Timo Saloniemi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check Bernd's site regarding that display. And the display has names that come from "The West Wing" characters. And there was even one Commander on the list.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitzgerald is from the novelization of "Caretaker", actually. Note that he was played by that supersoldier guy from a TNG epsiode that also co-starred the Zephram Cochrane dude before he became famous. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders* Do moderators move parts of threads to new thread when they change topic?

Lt. Commander Cavit was introduced to both Kim and Paris, he shook Kim's hand and welcomed him aboard, and then turn and left Paris standing there.

I find the low ranks of Voyager crew to be odd. The XO was a Lt. Commander, and Kim- who I had thought must have taken over at Ops because the previous person was killed, was actually put in charge of Ops on the main duty shift as an Ensign from the very start.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

I don't think it's odd that an XO is a LCDR. We've seen Data act in the capacity under Jellico and the Odyssey's XO was an LCDR as well. Plus for a short time Spock was an XO as an LCDR. And I also don't see a problem with Kim being an Ensign and the Operations Officer.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps