Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Battlefield Saucer (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Battlefield Saucer
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the ship controls are not DNA-specific so that, when someone does take over, their first act is not to cut off the captain's hands to use to control the ship.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet: the landing pads look like giant pinball flipper for deflecting torpedos...the straight phasers are the bouncy parts in our Trek pinball ship...
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Perhaps the ship controls are not DNA-specific so that, when someone does take over, their first act is not to cut off the captain's hands to use to control the ship.

You'd think that with their sensors (capable of detecting radiation in a nebula down to parts per million), the ship's internal sensors could monitor vocal, retenal and DNA patterns of key personell.

Probably catch ongoing DNA samples via the person's respiration.

Besides, you'd think the holograms could have just flushed the ship's atmosphere...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's one thing we know about the Federation, they're Safety Nazis. Especially when it comes to a Starship's environmental controls. You got triple-redundancies, failsafes, backups etc. They're all going to kick in as soon as a pressure loss is detected. And even if they were all bypassed, you can be sure a little readout would start blinking on the bridge. There are probably some detectors which would also be there to notice unwanted chemicals in the atmosphere, hence the need to release the knockout gas from Environmental Control where it could be 'officially' added to the mix.

And, remember these are medical holograms. I doubt they could overcome their programming sufficiently to then consider deliberately asphyxiating living beings.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Though intruders have been explosively disembarked on other Starfleet ships.)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes... the Borg space walk in Scorpion. That was sweet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And VERY out of scale.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah... it made the cargo hatch and rim of the saucer look humungazoid.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but that was a controlled ventilation, from a cargo bay that could well have the ability to vent its atmosphere if needed. We've seen that many such external openings have force fields (shuttlebays, that room in ST:FC) but there must be a way to deactivate them remotely with the proper authorisation.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geocities.com/voy_coda/scorp35b.jpg

I never realized how non-scale that looked. Hey, they even put tiny windows on the bottom lip of the spoon section! What's that for, the gerbil crew members?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those windows are on the secondary hull, far behind the saucer edge in the foreground. But yeah, those are rather tiny Borg. Did they assimilate the Oompah Loompah planet?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stoopid low-rez images... Anyone figure out the actual size discrepency?

Mark

--------------------

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the hole they are coming out of is just gianormus?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, the opening is a shuttle docking ring. The Borg should be almost as tall as the opening itself. They look to be 20-30% too small.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Sorta true, though it itsn't necessarily a REAL man-sied hatch. Mind you, I do remember a picture of a deleted scene from "Caretaker" which had Paris and Kim coming aboard Voyager through that hatch. It wasn't an airlock set as on DS9 - just a larger set of intereor doors. Does anyone have that "making of Voyager" book from Pocket, published in the first couple of seasons?

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Why would Paris and Kim have come aboard through that hatch? They were in a shuttle craft. How would it have docked with that hatch? Do the shuttlecraft have some kind of hidden extendable docking collar?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps