Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark's Ultimate Trek Project (Page 4)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mark's Ultimate Trek Project
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah- it has the "dozens of miles long" version with spikes that can fire the anti-proton beam in any direction.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
Now there's you a modeling challenge...a Borg/Starfleet gestalt.

Someone on Sci-Fi Meshes actually modelled a Nebula class that'd been assimilated by the Borg. Looked absolutely amazing, but it was made in max or lightwave, so it would've work in the 3d program mentioned in this thread.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In at least one computer game (Armada?) there's a Borg feature where you can assimilate other ships and turn them into part of your fleet. They tend to be weakened compared to pre-Borgification, but still looked really spooky. Anyway, our idea has a second borg ship, just not a sphere. As for the queen, it's true that she need not leave; just not be seen, as she's come back at least once.

The "Vendetta" novel featured the Excelsior-class USS Chekov (not the Chekkov, which was lost at Wolf 359) under command of Morgan Korsmo, who get a throwaway reference in the script. Korsmo was not a particularly unstable guy, but just suffered tremendous penile envy compared to the god-like stature of Picard. This came to a head when he actually ordered his ship to fire on the Enterprise for disobeying orders. Luckily he recovered, and ultimately lost his ship fighting three cubes.

"Vendetta" also saw the use of the antimatter spread as a weapon and not just a fireworks display - personally, I liked the weapon idea. [Smile] Also, the climactic battle showed the use of several other imaginative weapons with varying effects, which I liked.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when does not having a visible feature corresponding to some neato gadget (like a podbay) mean a ship can't have it anyway?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Vendetta also features two Excelsior class ships forcibly towing a Cube into the PLanetkiller's maw.

Not real likely.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it the Enterprise and the Repulse? I recall the Checkov had been reduced to scrap by the time Repulse dropped in to save her and pull the deflector trick on a weakened and unshielded cube...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Some of the assumptions we're running with:

-We will plop an Akira or a Steamrunner in there too, just to twist the tails of anyone who doesn't think that NCC numbers are sequential in TNG. [Smile]

If you do - how about Galaxy/Nebula/Ambassador-era-ising them - i.e. with not so many Sovereign Class aspects. Bring them into line with their Registry numbers. They could have been at UP in Relativity being refitted?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Wasn't it the Enterprise and the Repulse? I recall the Checkov had been reduced to scrap by the time Repulse dropped in to save her and pull the deflector trick on a weakened and unshielded cube...

Mark

Even so, the Repulse is an Excelsior and I seriously doubt even two Galaxy's could forcibly tow a Cube.
(shrug)
It's hardly the worst part of the book.

Hmmmmm...will your Springfield have that hideous secondary hull-on-straps thingie?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I've read Vendetta, but I must have blocked it from my memory.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Some of the assumptions we're running with:

-We will plop an Akira or a Steamrunner in there too, just to twist the tails of anyone who doesn't think that NCC numbers are sequential in TNG. [Smile]

If you do - how about Galaxy/Nebula/Ambassador-era-ising them - i.e. with not so many Sovereign Class aspects. Bring them into line with their Registry numbers. They could have been at UP in Relativity being refitted?
Mark already addressed that earlier when someone mentioned Galaxy-style lifeboat hatches. Personally, I think the details that we associate with the Sovereign may well have been design elements of the Akiras and Sabres that were later used when designing the Sovereign, rather than the reverse.

It'd be nice to see some older ships as well. I mean, we know there was a Constitution class(or ship of similar era), Oberth, Excelsior and Miranda, so why not a Constellation(maybe even the Hathaway?) or Soyuz. Starfleet is supposed to be desperate, so pretty much anything goes. Within reason.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like maybe the Columbia? [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Johnny
Member # 878

Some might argue that it wouldn't look out of place amongst the Akiras and Steamrunners. [Wink]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zing! +1

Have you thought about using the Unreal 2004 engine to render the "live action" character elements? It may not be a beautiufl engine, but it's supposedly pretty extensible/easy and has a lip-synching feature built-in.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Constellation yes- Hatahway, no.
The Hathaway would need more time to make functional that it would be worth- better another ship of that class (and we know they're stiull in service at the time).

The Connie secondary hull shown onscreen should be a part of some other design- that "Challenger" design from the comics could work, I suppose.
No way a Connie should be in that fight.
If the US Navy was really desperate it would still not send the USS America (a sailing frigate) into combat (particularly against a far superior foe that outclasses their very best).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constitution. Or Constellation. There was no wooden America.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps