Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark's Ultimate Trek Project (Page 11)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mark's Ultimate Trek Project
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The USS Auschwitz? Jesus Christ.

And yet only one of those names I wrote was not a death camp.....

The Tian An Men, Redemption Part II, aired 1991, was named in honor of the slaughtered people at the square, so how would Nazi death camps be any different if being named after places where people were slaughtered?

The diffrence is that the Square was where a lot of people got slaughtered for standing up to an oppressive regeme.
The concentration camps were... atrocities- not something you want to commemorate with a ship name.
Best to leave some things alone- Trek tends to ignore all WWII German battleships as well- even though the German navy was not (directly) culpable in the horrors of the Nazi party.

Ship names should be about accomplishment or at least be inspirational- a lone protestor standing up to a tank or example.
Besides, maybe Tian An Men square becomes the capital of a democratic China someday...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a bit like saying that maybe someday the National Mall will be the capital of the US.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, if you wanna dispute the suitability of some names, take it to some other thread. More names! More names!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Lindbergh
USS E. Fitzgerald
USS Procyon

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Minigamo
U.S.S. Whidbey
U.S.S. Nookta
U.S.S. Lummi
U.S.S. Skagit
U.S.S. Sumas
U.S.S. Squalicum
U.S.S. Sehome
U.S.S. Whatcom

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One each, ya mooks. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS O'Neill
USS Carter
USS Jackson
USS Robinson
USS Syrinx

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen: The new teaser will involve some recorded dialogue that will help describe the tone of the overall piece, and how the story will basically be "re-created" from audio clips and black box recordings from the battle, the starships, escape pod distres calls, etc. Ought to be a lot of fun.

Mark [/QB]

Ohhh I have an idea - bear with me here:

I picture a satellite in orbit of either Wolf359 or a planet around that star - picking up the battle in it's cameras/sensors. Maybe tiny things at first and then the satellite moves and zooms in on the fight. A silent witness to what occured there, a passive observer.

I picture the trad Federation display graphics and moving arrows etc up and down the screen. I'm picturing beeps etc similar to what you hear in some of the NASA probe footage - like the footage of the Huygen's probe into the atmosphere of Titan.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

And the Excelsior is getting painted now.Mark

I'm sorry but you could do a little better with the paint job. The 'aztec' pattern is too... contrasting - be more subtle. Don't use such stark greys - something about it looks fake - maybe someway to change the 'texture' of the hull?

Also that yellowy-green around the bridge - gah! Looks hideous.

Other than that - looking good.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

It just seems a little dark to me, a lighter color for the hull, the pattern isn't bad, just make it the color that the hull is now. Maybe a touch more blue added to it.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I am getting a host not resolved error for your site Mark.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

http://nekoseiproductions.com/main/wolf359.html

The ISP got axed this pas week - Karl's just put eveyrthing back together. Please update your links!

As for the Excelsior colouring, I've made a note to Karl already. We'll wait for all the detailing to be done and then we'll tewak.

Mark

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

You still haven't fixed "...throughout the Star Treck franchise,..."

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He'll do it nekst week.
quote:
I picture a satellite in orbit of either Wolf359 or a planet around that star - picking up the battle in it's cameras/sensors. Maybe tiny things at first and then the satellite moves and zooms in on the fight. A silent witness to what occured there, a passive observer.
MIght be a good excuse to render one of those subspace communication relays...

You know, as you're doing a documentary on W359, why not make it like a History channel documentary- maybe set to commemorate the 10 (or 20!) year anniversary of the battle or something:

"It was fifteen years ago today that the universe changed as we knew it- a day that will live in infamy..."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I spent a good chunk of today scripting the third scene - basically a montage of subspace messages and intercepted logs from people on ships headed to the battle, set against the background of space from the perspective of a trip through space to Wolf 359. Reads good on paper, anyway...

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps