Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mark's Ultimate Trek Project (Page 6)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mark's Ultimate Trek Project
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Taking the example of the DeMoines class ships "kept just in case", imagine some foreign power makes one uber-battleship that cruise missiles and nuclear warheads cant scratch: does the US Navy crew up it's obsolete Demonies class ships with able bodied victi...er....sailors and send them to fight said uber-ship?
Yet in the diverse galaxy of Star Trek, the foreign power might send out a mighty fleet of sailing ships armed with bronze cannon. Would the USN, heavily engaged in slugging it out with the Soviets, divert twelve modern missile destroyers (each with a peashooter on the fo'castle) to confront that fleet, or a single elderly gun cruiser with 12 heavy barrels?

Also, some spatial threats do not evolve or escalate. A T Tauri star will stay a T Tauri star, and the vessel type capable of approaching one for study in 2154 will still be useful in that role in 3154, or 200154.

I rather doubt Starfleet would have any real incentive to aim for "lean and mean" when "obese and omnipresent" will do the job so much better.

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I rather doubt Starfleet would have any real incentive to aim for "lean and mean" when "obese and omnipresent" will do the job so much better.

Just not against the Borg (who, overconfidence aside) were a known threat.
Shuttlecraft would have had a better chance of surviving than a Connie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still disagree. And we're gonna leave it in there, with a high NCC number, and let YOU guys fight it out.

Damn, do I feel like a Trek writer or WHAT?! [Big Grin]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just make it blow up nicely (and in a way diffrent from STIII) and I'll be happy(ish).
Hmmm....mabye have the cutter-beam split it stem to stern...

Just (please!) dont have the Connie as a "die-hard" ship while Nebulas and Ambassadors are getting creamed!

Everyone loves the old girl, but there's a tendency in fandom to...ah....overstate it's capabilities.

Do you plan on one large assualt style confrontation of a battle where ships show up and get slaughtered a few at a time?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly the wreakage was missing the saucer (which was free floating elsewhere) so there's an oppertunity here to show a connie saucer-sep sequence.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if it were simply a decoy towed there to give the Borg yet another target to shoot at thus dispersing the concentration of fire.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye it's the Federation News Service covering the battle and the phasers have been replaced with long range camera-sensors.
That would rock, and you could get Reverend or Aban to do a FNS logo for the ship in place of the delta.

Hmmm...we only really see the forward third of the secondary hull- that could go with a ton of other (fandom) ship classes.

Thinking further, it would be cool if the battle is (at least partly) presented from the reporter's POV.
Kinda a "man in the field" documentary feel like you see in some WWII newsreels.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there an incident where TOS-E released a balloon that inflated and was used as a decoy? Somehow this is stuck in my head but I can't recall where I saw this.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. (Assuming TOS-E is somehow standing in for "the animated series.") A little searching suggests it was the episode "The Practical Joker."
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea that the Connie might have been a passenger liner (if the Oberth is supposed to take an active part in the battle).

BTW, this sounds like an ambitious project. Let me know if I can dig up anything that may still rest on my hard drive.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if it was a hospital ship? beaming and shuttling wounded off crippled ships. From a tactical standpoint the borg would leave them alone until it was overloaded by patiens then zap - assimilation buffet with minimal resistance.
It could also tie in to where the Liberator's shuttle was doing outside.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the hospital ship idea the best.

Or, it could have been a ship of the line, with augmented/upgraded phasers (to 24th century standards) and quantum torpedoes.

Or did the quantums come out after this battle?

Maybe it was desparation and they pulled every ship they could assemble in such a short time, and pulling a Connie out of mothballs or away from Academy training was one such move.

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Everyone loves the old girl, but there's a tendency in fandom to...ah....overstate it's capabilities."

Not her capabilities, her Captain. [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Certainly both- there are novels that read:
"...just then, the Enterprise fired on the six closing Klingon batleships, utterly destroying them..."

Much like how Shatner wanted the Connie to have 72 decks so it would be the biggest, writers too often bias their stories towards their favorite (whatever).

quote:
Or, it could have been a ship of the line, with augmented/upgraded phasers (to 24th century standards) and quantum torpedoes.

Or did the quantums come out after this battle?

Baad idea- firstly, it's unlikely a Connie (or even a Miranda) could ever be "brought up to 24th century standards" because it would need way more power than it's core, engines and superstructure would allow, and yes, Quantums came along far after W359.

Probably as a result of it.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

The Oberth's pod could have been fitted with some special Borg-jamming equipment making it the equivalent of an EA-6B Prowler accompanying the fleet. The Connie could have been set up as a fire ship. Packed with a lot of antimatter and remote controlled to ram a cube, possibly even from the Oberth. Of all the ships the Borg would be prioritizing fire on, these two would have been at the bottom of the "List of Patheticly Plausible Dangers"

--------------------

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps