Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$ (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's OK to ignore the plot-holes in X-Men 2, but not the plot-holes in Star Trek: Nemesis?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference being, of course, that X2 was a *good* film and Nemesis was *not.*
ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol... But this is a Trek site! No dissing the movies! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, heh. You could kind of see Mystique's boobies. Mmmm...

Seriously, though, spoilers coming.

That was a pretty great movie. I mean even the teen-romance bits were surprisingly sub-irritating. My eyes bugged the first time Logan clawed someone, I mean like a real non-android, non-robot person. "Dang," I was heard to exclaim. Magneto's Very exciting to someone only peripherally aware of the comic story arcs. My take on the movies has been that they are sort of a What-If? version rather than a straight adaptation. Nightcrawler kind of tore it up. Famke carried the movie. I heart the "Don't make me do this" scene. No boys were flying the plane, and that's cool. Mystique got a chance to demonstrate just how effective she can be. The finger was pretty great. Sir Ian was very good at being both weak (early) and powerful (later). Stryker was very cool and Brian Cox was very much responsible for this. Holy crap, what a cast. Patrick Stewart was kind of pissed away barring a few good scenes, and I could have done with a bit less (Academy Award winner) Halle Berry. But really a fun and exciting and cool-looking and just neato-torpedo movie (in which you could also kind of see Mystique's boobies.)

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cyclops was definitely the weakest performance, but fortunately they pretty much ignored him. I agree that the teen stuff was entirely tolerable. Even the kissy stuff with Rogue and Bobby was good, and Bobby's semi-jealous interaction with Logan was solid.

I want to know just how they did the Nightcrawler BAMF! effect and how much it cost, because, dang did they do it alot. And how sweet it was. One thing I didn't quite like at the end...
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
...when Nightcrawler teleported inside Cerebro 2, I always thought is was physically impossible for him to teleport where he couldn't see. At least it was until late in the Excalibur run. They made it out to be something that just kind of made him uncomfortable but really wasn't that big of a deal as long as a hot chick rubbed him the right way.

Aban's wishlist for X3: Danger Room, lot's more Nightcrawler, and Sentinels, baby!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightcrawler could always teleport where he couldn't see. However, he had a bit of a phobia about doing that for a great while, as he was - rightfully so, IMO - afraid of teleporting inside a wall or person. The only physical limitations that he's ever had were that he could only carry a finite amount of weight (initially) and that he could only teleport short distances.

On the issue of range, I think it was initially like 100m or thereabouts, tho it eventually got further and further as he got more page-time in the various comics he appeared in. IIRC, at one point in a comic he teleported to Muir Island from the mainland - a distance of several miles! - by doing several Line-Of-Site jumps, which seemed to be a bit easier on him. He was worn out by the end of it, but succeeded.

I also seem to recall him doing a "chain" of people one time and teleporting two or three others with him in an issue of X-calibur, tho might be wrong. Anybody back me up on this?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also, during the "Fall of the Mutants" storyline, he received a head injury and teleporting was painful for a long time after that...

Plus the one thing I was annoyed wasn't used in the movie was the fact that people he takes with him are nauseated by the process. He actually used that as a fairly effective non-violent attack. *shrug*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh! Yeah, I forgot about that. Took some of them a while to "adjust" to being made "uncomfortable", as I recall. In the comics, tho, Mystique was strangely immune to that effect.... [Wink]
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course you mean Storm, right? :-D

In one of the latest X-Men mags Kurt teleports four miles.

I think they overused it in the movie, less would've been more, like 5 teleports instead of 15. It would've been impressive all the same.

And I think the effect and sound was too slow and hazy.
The smoke looked nice, but a "BAMF!!" instead of "schwomm...schwomm" I would've liked.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that, for the longest time in Excalibur, if Kurt teleported even once, it would exhaust him. Eventually, his skill returned, but he still had limits. There was some Nazi alternate dimension version of him could grab people and teleport them multiple times and they'd pass out.

I thought the attack on the president in the beginning was an awesome display of teleporting. It didn't seem like too much at all. That and his acrobatics are his main weapons.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Griffworks
Member # 1014

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Of course you mean Storm, right? :-D
>SNIKT!<

No, I mean Mystique, actually - just as I wrote it. [Wink]

In an issue from the late-'80's, Nightcrawler grabs her and does multiple 'ports with her in hopes of making her sick and unable to do anything. However, when he finally stops, she turns and very quickly knocks him on his backside. This was one of his first encounters with Mystique, IIRC, and when they were just starting to hint at her being his mother in the comics. Couple years before they came out with the truth of the matter.

quote:
In one of the latest X-Men mags Kurt teleports four miles.

I think they overused it in the movie, less would've been more, like 5 teleports instead of 15. It would've been impressive all the same.

And I think the effect and sound was too slow and hazy.
The smoke looked nice, but a "BAMF!!" instead of "schwomm...schwomm" I would've liked.

I agree w/you on them using it a bit too much in the White House scene, as well as the SFX being a bit less than I would have liked. I'd think it would have been very easy for them to have made it a bit more instantaneous like it appears to be in the comics. There was what I considered to be a noticable time-lag in his 'ports during the movie. Still, nicely done SFX, IMO. Not at all bad.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I remember that, for the longest time in Excalibur, if Kurt teleported even once, it would exhaust him. Eventually, his skill returned, but he still had limits.
>SNIKT!<

I think that you're referring to the time when he first joined Excalibur, right? Immediately after the X-Men's first run-in w/the Marauders? I remember him having problems teleporting for a good while due to wounds he'd received during that time or perhaps after an encounter w/Magneto and the Brotherhood...?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
I would like to point out for the record that Petey has been going to this American school for a few years now. I knew an exchange student from the Netherlands who went to my high school for senior year, and after just one year in the US she had the colloquialisms down cold, had no trace of an accent, and when it came time to leave, she found she was having trouble remembering how to speak Dutch. I have no problem with the fact that in his few lines Colossus didn't sound like Chekov...

--Jonah

OMG! THANKYOU! Someone who understands where I'm coming from. Why does it take someone else to summarise thousands of words and lots of posts in to one nice paragraph for me!?! Wanna do my Literature Assignment? [Smile]

Exactly about the accent. Had a school aquaintance who went to Germany GERMANY for 1 year and came back speaking with an American accent... GERMANY!?! He was a fake though. He WAS doing it on the last day of school before he went away - but how could you keep that up for a year or more. Unless he did hang around people with American accents and picked it up... but dear oh dear! LOL!

Yes, I'm actually glad Piotr didn't sound like Chekov! [Smile]

Actually I could see the movie a 3rd time! [Smile]

Both Famke Janssen (Jean Grey) and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos (Mystique) are Dutch. You never notice that in the movie. But you should here them speak in Dutch nowadays. They actually have an American accent.

BTW: Famke Janssen was corrected in the first X-Men movie when she spoke one word wrong in her opening speach. When the people making the movie heard it was because she is Dutch they we're like 'What? We never noticed that'.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite the neglected accent, I think the acting between Piotr and Logan was very thought-through and multifaceted.

You could see Logan really thinking when presented with Piotr's assistance.
Like, first he wants to cynically snap back that he needs no help from some student.
But he restrains it becuase he sees that this "kid" is very well-meaning and kind and deserves better.

I think Logan was touched by it, frankly.
Like, "someone wants to back me up?".

After that, Logan's new line is that clearly this kid could be an immense help but Logan wouldn't want his injury or
death on his conscience, so he sends him to watch the smaller kids.

That's about as emotional a guy like Logan can be with another guy, and I was impressed that Jackman managed to convey it in those short moments.
He really is good.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wolverine has always been a loner... him accepting the kid's help would have been out of character, sort of, because he's man enough to swallow his pride when cornered.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The difference being, of course, that X2 was a *good* film and Nemesis was *not.*
Well, no offense, but the way you lot came in your pants over that unmitigated pile of diarrhoeic whaleshit that was Spiderhyphenman doesn't go a whole way towards estabishing your lack of bias in these matters. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps