Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! You'll do fine here with that attitude!

Welcome to Flare.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say a tie between TOS and SG1.
In both cases the stories were fresh (for the era),
the SFX state-of-the-art, and the acting (IMHO) great. Both show characters in which I can get involved - whom I cared about.

BTW, my fav O'Neill quote is: "O'Neill - two 'n's."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"l's". Two "l's".
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I still think that Peter Davison played the best Doctor (and was by far the best actor of the lot)."

Funny, I would have said he was the worst Doctor (which is not to say he was necessarily bad�just not as good as the others). I'll admit, I've only seen one or two of his stories, but he just didn't seem quirky enough.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Tesh, Timelord. Yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Which ones?

That's a good point. I do have the first 4 episodes on DVD, but then you can't really judge a show based on it's first four episodes...unless that show is Firefly. I've been reading up episode synopses to try to figure out which ones I saw and it looks like some cool stuff happened. Here's a brief and incomplete list:

The Light - Daniel is suicidal because he's addicted to and alien screen-saver.
Double Jeopardy - erm, robot doubles? Cool!
Exodus - Get the Tok'ra out of Dodge.
Enemies - Intergalactic muss wif Apophis, (replicators!)

I also remember one where they are trying to huck a gate into a black hole or something. Maybe that's double jeopardy. Anyway I've probably seen a couple others. I just feel like I'm spoiling by reading the synopses. It's not a bad show, it's certainly better than a lot of others on right now that start with the letters "E-N-T". But even with the epic, sprawling stories, it hasn't captured me yet. Also I loathe scientifically explaining away gods an religions in general, but by having those gods be human hosts for little worms in their bellies is just silly.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"I still think that Peter Davison played the best Doctor (and was by far the best actor of the lot)."

Funny, I would have said he was the worst Doctor (which is not to say he was necessarily bad�just not as good as the others). I'll admit, I've only seen one or two of his stories, but he just didn't seem quirky enough.

He almost died during the regeneration and once healed, was the only Doctor that had his shit together.
There's some really great duels with the Master during Davison's run and his companions were all pretty cool characters by themselves (as opposed to the parade of hostages favored by the other Doctors).
Davison's run had the only baddass Cybermen too.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...and his companions were all pretty cool characters by themselves..."

What, like Adric? Or Peri? Yuck.

Speaking of Peri, her accent was perhaps the worst thing I've ever heard. I'm sure it was British revenge for Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent...

In fairness, though, I haven't seen Davison battle the Master or the Cybermen (not counting "The Five Docotors", that is). So, I reserve final judgement for later.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, Adric is killed saving everyone from the Cybermen.
That was at the begining of Davison's run and I think it set a sober tone for the next episode or two.
Davison's stuff against the Master were really great though: the actor that played the Master for that run was more intresting as any on Dr. Who before: In his first appearance he sets up a whole artifical world just to kill the Doctor!
That's a baddass.

When I spaek of "cool companions" I dont mean Peri: she was at the end of the run IIRC and was more of McCoy's companion.
Teegan was cool...and very sexy to my 14 year old eye as I recall.
Turlough was a bad guy that turned good and the 5th Doctor's comnpanions didint all like each other.
And the 5th Doctor killed Davros...gotta love that.

Does anyone make Dr.Who seasons on DVD? I'd pick up some of those.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
BTW, my fav O'Neill quote is: "O'Neill - two 'l's."

Hey, they showed this episode tonight on Sci-Fi Channel. I watched it. Aaaaaaand again I didn't love it.

I do love that Teal'C (or whatever) constantly calls ensign twerpypants "Daniel Jackson". That's kind of funny. To me. "RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON"'s plausible denial was a high point, as was the "I just want to get one thing straight" line.

AVON
Member # 1186

- posted      Profile for AVON     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elisabeth Anne
quote:
And of course Firefly. Those b*S*rds. Hope the moron who gave the cancel order is run over by a bus several times. Then said bus runs over Avon [Mad]
You don't have buses in cyberspace!!! ZEN lauch plasma bolts!!! FIRE!!!

Thanks "Jason" for the welcome, by the way!!!

--------------------
"Have you betrayed US? Have you betrayed ME?"

TAKE KERR, OK!

http://www.avon-paul-darrow.co.uk
http://www.blakes-7.co.uk
http://www.incredibleworlds.com

Avon.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
BTW, my fav O'Neill quote is: "O'Neill - two 'l's."

Hey, they showed this episode tonight on Sci-Fi Channel. I watched it. Aaaaaaand again I didn't love it.

I saw it too and thought they were trying to install a drop of X-Files paranoia about the Government with that reporter's death. [Wink]
If you see my point, that is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:

I started out with the Tom Baker version and saw the some of the first season of Davidson. I never thought Davidson had that same since of confidence that every other Doctor had. I still love the scene where Baker runs into the Tardis and slams the door on his scarf, then the Tardis begins to take off!

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

bX
Member # 419

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I saw it too and thought they were trying to install a drop of X-Files paranoia about the Government with that reporter's death. [Wink]
If you see my point, that is.

If your point was that the actor playing the reporter acually had a featured part in the X-Files series, then it was not lost. If that wasn't your point then I may have just made it.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes, that was part of the point.
THe obvious suspicion O'Neill felt at the all too convient way the reporter was killed was the other.

It still was'nt a very good episode though.

Sci Fi doesnt show the Starfgate stuff in any particular order, so I have to ask:
Do they ever folow up on the reporter's death?
The whole SG program seems incredibly chock full of idealistic, highly moral starfleet types as a rule.
I've only seen he one guy lose it and go nuts.
That's some incredible odds considering what the SG teams have to comprehend every week.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps