Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont share wesley Snipe's fate....

(A bright shiney penny to whoever gets this)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, speaking of Goa'uld Jesus, they did have a Goa'uld Satan, which sort of implies the possibility of a Goa'uld Yahweh out there somewhere. After all, Egyptian mythology predates Jewish mythology, I'm pretty sure.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I want to se Stargate get really risky and have a war between Goa'uld Jesus and Goa'uld Mohammed."

The Hierarchy would not approve.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they can only demean aincent, currently out of favor beliefs with alien symbiote nonsense?
Whata jip!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a Go'auld Unitarian? or a Go-auld Atheist?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A Go-auld Jehova's Witness traveling from planet to planet...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
A Go-auld Jehova's Witness traveling from planet to planet...

That's what the iris is for. [Smile]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, speaking of Goa'uld Jesus, they did have a Goa'uld Satan, which sort of implies the possibility of a Goa'uld Yahweh out there somewhere. After all, Egyptian mythology predates Jewish mythology, I'm pretty sure.

Excecpt Solkar was from Egyptian mythology... Daniel says "the original Satan if you will" or words to that effect.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not getting Tim's point. The concepts of Satan and Yahweh (the name of the Hebrew God, except they didn't write the vowels) existed in Egyptian mythology as Sokar (who was the god of, uh, Death and Decay�) and Amun (or Ra, I can never remember who created what) respectively long before they were "adopted" by the Semites, so, in the Stargate universe, there could be a Goa'uld wandering about who fathered a symbiote Yeshua.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the gods we deal with on Stargate are usually something like the gods whose personalities they assumed. For one to be like Yahweh, he'd have to have an intense love of mankind, and an intricate and detailed plan for their eventual salvation from their own mistakes that involved his son Yeshua dying for the good of humanity. Teal'c once pointed out that love and mercy are not general goa'ould traits. A goa'ould wouldn't've fed Israel in the desert for four decades, he would have led them out there and then abandoned them. So you could have a goa'ould that was like a Yahweh from a selective misreading of the Bible, but not one that was from a reading of the whole thing, which I'm sure is one reason why they never touched it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really do ask for it sometimes, don't you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right.

A *TV show* didn't touch the topic because it could be unrealistic. A TV show with people flying through gates, crustaceans lying in people's guts, and five people saving the world day after day....didn't touch the subject because it could be potentially unrealistic.

Right.

They didn't touch it because their aren't people ready to start boycotts, write letters, or burn effigies, simply because someone touched their beliefs in a less than respectful way.

I mean really, imagine the American public shitstorm that would arise if Stargate SG1 said that a parasite inspired the myths around God. It would make Mel Gibson's movie look like an episode of Sabrina.

[And damn Liam for posting in between [Wink] ]

Cartman
Member # 256

This goes against my better judgment, but:

"So you could have a goa'ould that was like a Yahweh from a selective misreading of the Bible, but not one that was from a reading of the whole thing..."

Oh, I don't know, you wouldn't have to misread that much of it at all, just discard the New Testament. B)

[ January 31, 2004, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The New Testament was written by the Asgard aliens to counter the obviously self-serving Goa-uld Old Testament.
Jesus was a sexless little Gray Alien.
Judas was a Ja'faa.

Makes more sense that the actual bible, at least.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm....man commenting on common sense.

I can hear heavenly laughter now.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps