Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Light - Daniel is suicidal because he's addicted to and alien screen-saver.
Double Jeopardy - erm, robot doubles? Cool!
Exodus - Get the Tok'ra out of Dodge.
Enemies - Intergalactic muss wif Apophis, (replicators!)

Hmm, well, The Light was indeed pretty dim (HAHAHAHA...), Double Jeopardy niftily tied up a loose end from season one, and Exodus and Enemies composed a decent chunk of SG-1's main storyline. You could have been dealt a worse hand there, all in all.

quote:
I also remember one where they are trying to huck a gate into a black hole or something. Maybe that's double jeopardy. Anyway I've probably seen a couple others. I just feel like I'm spoiling by reading the synopses. It's not a bad show, it's certainly better than a lot of others on right now that start with the letters "E-N-T". But even with the epic, sprawling stories, it hasn't captured me yet. Also I loathe scientifically explaining away gods an religions in general, but by having those gods be human hosts for little worms in their bellies is just silly.
The black hole episode was A Matter of Time, which is, in essence, SG-1's Threshold without the reptilian drivel. At least the technobabble wasn't too pronounced, or something.

As for the religion thing, the idea is that the little worms (The dudes who haul them around in their bellies, the Jaffa, are their incubators BTW. The adult worms like to wrap themselves around a person's upper spinal cord which is how they actually possess the poor devil.) took us as hosts because their species was dying out and then posed as gods from our own mythology so science doesn't enter into it as such but you probably already know this anyway so I'll just say that you seem to have given SG-1 an honest if somewhat disjointed shot which is good and laudable and I guess that much of your enjoyment of it does hinge on wether you can suspend disbelief and accept eccentrically dressed humans with glowy eyes and computerized voices as credible villains which I readily concede can be a big stumbling block at first.

quote:
Hey, they showed this episode tonight on Sci-Fi Channel. I watched it. Aaaaaaand again I didn't love it.
Secrets (that was the ep, right?) is part of a much larger arc that spans all the way to season 5 (and some of six, I think). As a stand-alone it's not too shattering, but then most of SG-1's plots are woven through multiple seasons so watching the show out of order is kind of a detriment to enjoying it fully.

quote:
I do love that Teal'C (or whatever) constantly calls ensign twerpypants "Daniel Jackson". That's kind of funny. To me. "RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON"'s plausible denial was a high point, as was the "I just want to get one thing straight" line.
Well, humor is one of SG-1's many charms, as are the bountiful sci-fi and pop-culture references, so if you dig those sort of things, this is your show.

[ January 22, 2004, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on. No order to how Sci-Fi shows Stargate? Sure there's an order! There are three cycles going at any given time, but there's an order. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I've only seen he one guy lose it and go nuts.
That's some incredible odds considering what the SG teams have to comprehend every week.

Better odds than "Enterprise" being able to come up with a way to dovetail its Xindi storyline in with TOS?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye they started over or something.
I was watching pretty regularly for a while (the 6PM timeslot)and then started working that shift so I missed a month or so and now they're definitely not as far along in the storline as before.

I really wish O'Neill would just ask Thor "What's the deal with the anal probes, man?".

Am I the only one that thinks the actor that plays T'Alc would make a good Vulcan security chief?
He's got that eyebrow thing down.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T'ealc and Tuvok walk into a bar...

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would happen if a Trill and a J'Faa mated?
maggotts?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

If bombarded with Gamma radiation...Dune worms!

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's got that eyebrow thing down.

Judge can do more with one eyebrow than some actors can with their head, voice, and body COMBINED, man. SG-1 is worth watching for his facials alone. B)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

uh....please rephrase that last sentence.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And such pretty eyes too!

Anyone else here heard of Vaginal Davis? Charming woman. Think Ronnie Lott in lipstick and heels.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"...and his companions were all pretty cool characters by themselves..."

What, like Adric? Or Peri? Yuck.

Speaking of Peri, her accent was perhaps the worst thing I've ever heard. I'm sure it was British revenge for Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent...

In fairness, though, I haven't seen Davison battle the Master or the Cybermen (not counting "The Five Docotors", that is). So, I reserve final judgement for later.

Adric was OK - and Peri... well Peri's most memorable assets were her... assets! (Of the boobage variety). [Smile]

Tegan - I liked apart from her disparaging of Brisbane! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Starship Salvage Ops
Member # 1212

- posted      Profile for Starship Salvage Ops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is Star Trek TOS. The interaction between the three lead characters is well written and can be very funny at times without being silly or stupid.

I think the stories focused more on substance and less techno-babble than it's decendents. Scotty could always get the ship up to stuff without a disertation on how he was going to do it.

Kirk was a lot more of an ass-kicker too than Picard would have ever been.

Yeah, OK I'm a Barbarian. What can I say.

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
...but you probably already know this anyway

Actually I didn't know that. It's been awhile since I saw the movie (which did prove something of a disappointment after showing such promise), but I always just assumed that our 'gods' were based on these Gou'ald (or whatever it is) over the centuries. Which could be more interesting or less interesting depending on how you played it.
quote:
so I'll just say that you seem to have given SG-1 an honest if somewhat disjointed shot which is good and laudable.

Well I haven't exactly given up on it or anything. I'm still curious. I think I'm missing something maybe. In addition to yourself, several people whose opinions I trust have repeatedly encouraged me to watch this series. There's so much, and I fear I've missed too much. Give me a list of 'must-see' eps and I'll endeavor to catch them. It's just at this point, the show hasn't hooked me.
quote:
Well, humor is one of SG-1's many charms, as are the bountiful sci-fi and pop-culture references, so if you dig those sort of things, this is your show.

There was some funny stuff with Jack and his double that made me feel like I must've missed the joke. I got the impression there's some history I'd be curious about seeing. Gimme a list, and I'll try to tape them off Sci-Fi CH or something.
Cartman
Member # 256

A list, eh? Be warned that it could easily become longer than Simon's Sizer, so I'd stock up on tapes if I were you. B)

Anyway, I hear and obey:

Season 1
Children Of The Gods (obviously)
The Enemy Within
Cold Lazarus**
The Nox
Thor's Hammer
The Torment Of Tantalus
Bloodlines
Hathor**
Singularity**
Cor-Ai**
Enigma
Solitudes
Tin Man**
There But For The Grace of God
Politics (SG-1's first clip show, but second of a four-parter)
Within The Serpent's Grasp

Season 2
The Serpent's Lair
In The Line Of Duty
Prisoners**
Need**
Thor's Chariot
Family
Secrets
The Tok'ra I & II
Touchstone
The Fifth Race
Holiday**
Serpent's Song
Show And Tell
Out Of Mind

Season 3
Into The Fire
Seth**
Fair Game
Legacy**
Point Of View
Forever In A Day
Past And Present
Jolinar's Memories
The Devil You Know
Foothold**
Pretense
Shades Of Grey (better than its TNG namesake, I swear)
New Ground**
Maternal Instinct
Crystal Skull
Nemesis

Season 4
Small Victories
The Other Side**
Crossroads
Divide And Conquer
Window Of Opportunity
Watergate
The First Ones (no, not the Vorlons)
Beneath The Surface**
Point Of No Return**
Tangent
The Curse
The Serpent's Venom
Chain Reaction
2010**
Absolute Power
Prodigy**
Double Jeopardy
Exodus

Season 5
Enemies
Treshold (I know, broken record and all that, but: better than its VOY namesake, I swear)
Ascension**
Red Sky**
Rite Of Passage**
Beast Of Burden**
The Tomb
Between Two Fires
2001**
Desperate Measures
Wormhole X-Treme**
Proving Ground**
48 Hours
Summit
Last Stand
Fail Safe**
The Warrior
Menace
The Sentinel**
Meridian (OK, this is a cliche, but: better than its DS9 namesake, I swear)
Revelations

Season 6
Redemption I & II
Descent (I don't have to say it again, do I?)
Frozen
Nightwalkers**
Abyss
Shadow Play
The Other Guys**
Allegiance
Cure
Prometheus
Unnatural Selection
Smoke And Mirrors
Paradise Lost
Metamorphosis**
Disclosure (clip show like Politics, but integral to SG-1's overall story)
The Changeling
Memento**
Prophecy
Full Circle

Season 7
Fallen
Homecoming
Fragile Balance**
Orpheus
Lifeboat
Enemy Mine**
Birthright
Evolution I & II
Grace

That should set you up the bomb el-neato.

**Even though they aren't must-sees, SG-1 does a hefty amount of name-dropping in its episodes, and although the episodes that build on them are moderately backward-compatible, it really helps if you catch these lesser gods (so to speak) too.

bX
Member # 419

Well as long as it's only a couple... I suppose it could have been worse. I could have asked you how to get to the videostore in Rome.

So, err, is there some more abbreviated 4-5 episode run that might convince me to explore the above list more thoroughly?

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps