Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ? (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I don't know, you wouldn't have to misread that much of it at all, just discard the New Testament.

Well, and all those other times God showed people mercy in the Old Testament. But those are hardly worth mentioning. [Wink]

And as for the potential for angering people, you'll kindly note that I never said that the differences of Yahweh from any goa'ould were the MAIN factor, just that they were part of it. So nyah. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
You're not getting Tim's point. The concepts of Satan and Yahweh (the name of the Hebrew God, except they didn't write the vowels) existed in Egyptian mythology as Sokar (who was the god of, uh, Death and Decay�) and Amun (or Ra, I can never remember who created what) respectively long before they were "adopted" by the Semites, so, in the Stargate universe, there could be a Goa'uld wandering about who fathered a symbiote Yeshua.

I don't think that the Judeo-Christian-Muslim "God" is the same as the Egyptian Sun-God Ra. That would be like saying "God" is Zeus.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ra" was just the first (documented, anyway) mono-theistic religion: no pantheon of gods for diffrent tasks-just the one multi-tasking diety to pray and sacrifice to.

Makes it easier for the masses to choose what to worship if there are no other choices, right? [Wink]

Still, the "Ra" thing didint pan out for the Egyptians and after that pharoah's dynasty ended with him, the old gods were revered again.

There might be an episode or three in that idea (if you discount the fact that the worship of Ra came very late in thehistory of aincent Egypt and long after the pyrimids were built).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Aten?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, although the name "Ra" get a little sketchy when used in conjunction with other aspects of the same idea like "Atten Ra".
Beginning with the Middle Kingdom (2134-1668 BC), Ra worship acquired the status of a state religion, and the god was gradually fused with Amon during the Theban dynasties, becoming the supreme god Amon-Ra.
During the 18th Dynasty the pharaoh Amenhotep III renamed the sun god Aton, an ancient term for the physical solar force. Amenhotep's son and successor, Amenhotep IV, instituted a revolution in Egyptian religion by proclaiming Aton the true and only god.
He changed his own name to Akhenaton, meaning "Aton is satisfied." This first great monotheist was so iconoclastic that he had the plural word gods deleted from monuments, and he relentlessly persecuted the priests of Amon. Akhenaton's sun religion failed to survive, although it exerted a great influence on the art and thinking of his time, and Egypt returned to the ancient, labyrinthine religion of polytheism after Akhenaton's death.

When you live in the desert, I guess the sun rules all, huh?

Have we seen a Nut or Geb on Stargate yet?
They're Ra's children in mythology after all...
and I could almost hear O'Neill's jokes about Nut. [Wink]

[ February 01, 2004, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I don't think that the Judeo-Christian-Muslim "God" is the same as the Egyptian Sun-God Ra. That would be like saying "God" is Zeus.

Well, no, they're obviously not the same, but, as I said, a Goa'uld could have been on Earth long enough to impersonate both, or even set the Judeo-Christian religion in motion.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only offspring of Ra we've seen is that of Ra and Hathor: Heru'ur.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Well, no, they're obviously not the same, but, as I said, a Goa'uld could have been on Earth long enough to impersonate both, or even set the Judeo-Christian myths in motion.
We saw in the movie that the first Goa'uld to arrive was the one that took the Ra persona - or is that godona? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That still leaves Aten and Amun, though. And since the Jews picked up a lot of cultural tidbits from the Egyptians, they may also have copied the idea of monotheism during Amenhotep IV's reign. Heck, whenever 'Amen' crops up at the end of a Bible prayer, Amun's taking the credit, so you could freely insert a snakehead there. B)
Cartman
Member # 256

"When you live in the desert, I guess the sun rules all, huh?"

Or when you live in a mountainous region, like the Incas did...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or if you don't live in a cave.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Or online.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps