Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: What's your favorite sci-fi TV series so far and why ?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Davison's doctor was the most...subtle of the lot. Especially compared to laster-era Baker, with his CRAZY EYES AND STUFF!

I think someone summed it up with the following: Baker's Doctor died saving the universe. Davison's died saving one person. And both stories were great (although Caves of Andorzani is probably the better of the two).

There were only two TV Master's, remember. One for all of Pertwee's run (Roger Delago), and one introduced for Tom Baker's final run, played by Anthony Ainley. The final two episodes of Baker's Doctor and the first of Davison's all interlink. And I can't remember what the first of the "trilogy" is called (it introduced Nyssa), but the final Baker one is "Logopolis", and the first Davison one is "Castrolova", so you might want to watch all three together.

And who said that the first three Doctor's were cranky? Okay, Hartnell and Pertwee were, but Troughton was Crazy Jumping Man!

Tim is right though...Adric was horrible. Truely horrible. Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa were all quite good though.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
Well as long as it's only a couple... I suppose it could have been worse. I could have asked you how to get to the videostore in Rome.

So, err, is there some more abbreviated 4-5 episode run that might convince me to explore the above list more thoroughly?

Yes, well, but... think of it as a general guideline. With that list in hand you can effortlessly transition from one season to the next, aaand theeen you can tick off the episodes as you go. Or not.

Anyway, if you MUST have a six-pack:

The Enemy Within OR The Nox OR Thor's Hammer
The Torment Of Tantalus OR Bloodlines OR Enigma OR Solitudes
There But For The Grace of God
Politics
Within The Serpent's Grasp
The Serpent's Lair

(There's a bigass Blockbuster on Circonvallazione Trionfale BTW.)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Davison's doctor was the most...subtle of the lot.

I like the distinction I read recently - the Davison doctor is the only one you'd feel safe having round your house for tea.

quote:
There were only two TV Master's, remember. One for all of Pertwee's run (Roger Delago), and one introduced for Tom Baker's final run, played by Anthony Ainley.
Ahem, what about the "Bad-skin Master" played by Peter Pratt in The Deadly Assassin and Geoffrey Beevers in The Keeper of Traken?

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe "fried egg" Master doesnt count.

As far as a Stargate sixpack goes, "The Torment Of Tantalus" is a terrible episode!
It's kind of required viewing to that season and learning about the Stargate but by itself, it's awful.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are not furthering The Cause, Jason.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, I know...but we want him to [i]like [i]Stargare, right?

I dont now any episode names, but the first one with Thor's race was good: the one where O'Neill encounters them and they wipe his memories.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

The Fifth Race. But the thing is that you can't watch that one until you've seen Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot, and but so therefore...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

But you could still do without that lousy "Torment" episode, right? [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
I like the distinction I read recently - the Davison doctor is the only one you'd feel safe having round your house for tea.

I wouldn't mind having McCoy's Doctor. Although probably only when he was barmy, rather than when he was MYSTERIOUS and STRANGE.

quote:
Ahem, what about the "Bad-skin Master" played by Peter Pratt in The Deadly Assassin and Geoffrey Beevers in The Keeper of Traken?
What Jason said. I didn't count them, because they weren't continuing masters, as it were. Plus I forgot.

I should have probably added the Crazy Camp Master from the TV movie though.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
But you could still do without that lousy "Torment" episode, right? [Wink]

You could not. For crying out loud, TToT is required viewing to all of SG-1! Jumping over it would be like sitting down to B5 and then forgoing War Without End, dammit.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
...but you probably already know this anyway

Actually I didn't know that. It's been awhile since I saw the movie (which did prove something of a disappointment after showing such promise), but I always just assumed that our 'gods' were based on these Gou'ald (or whatever it is) over the centuries.
The Goa'uld came to Earth and took over by pretending to be the existing gods.

Actually the movie is quite good after you watch a few season of SG1 and then watch it again... and you look at the movie as if what we know from the tv series actually fits and is a part of the movie universe etc.

I am also putting my support in for The Torment of Tantalus... it's a GOOD episode - and it is referenced throughout the series... especially in season 1 with reguards to Catherine.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the biggest problem the movie had was the preconception, that was fostered by the advertising, that Stargate was going to be more of an "Action / Sci-fi" movie. I remember being disappointed upon seeing it because virtually all of the action scenes were done in the ads and I expected more. Once I got that notion out of my rather vacuuous cranium, I really enjoyed it for what it is. I think that the TV shows have only gone further in reinforcing what was a good premise badly marketed.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ahem, what about the 'Bad-skin Master' played by Peter Pratt in The Deadly Assassin and Geoffrey Beevers in The Keeper of Traken?"

I mentioned the Peter Pratt one in a post right after Liam's, which seems to have gone away now. I know I posted it, because I had to go look up the actor's name. Where's my post, dammit?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Where's my chicken, G?!?

Sorry: Lawerence Fishburne moment there.

I want to se Stargate get really risky and have a war between Goa'uld Jesus and Goa'uld Mohammed.
Boy, the letters would be flying then!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps