Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 26)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So THAT's why the Reliant is rolling into positon when she confronts the Enterprise...

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
Actually, everytime I see the ship, I want to grab it by the nacelle and flip it. It looks wrong somehow to have the deflector on top and the nacelle below...

Yeah, I kind of do too...maybe it's because we'd expect the Eng. hull ( by real, modern day physics) to be heavier, and more dense/solid than the nacelle, and therefor expect that to be on the bottom...

I like it! Very nice looking from this angle, but I've liked it from the start anyway. I may be wrong, but can we actually see the ports the little turrets emerge from on the bow?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude they are windows for something....

*drools* Yeah, i want to hump the boat. Kelvin looks sexy and a clear nod to JF himself. THAT BOAT is a proper Saladin Class, ladies and gents...

and briefly, on E: Lets drop his shit, since he shouldn't be making his rounds back here for at least (i hope) 6 months... based on his previous rate of postings...

are there other pics? (Trekmovie mentions stuff from intel but i'm having issues atm)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Also, think of TWOK where the Reliant got flipped by accident...

That's the part of the movie (deleted of course) were Khan accidently hits the nacelle-swivel bottom which causes the reliant to skid across space (like they did decades later in the Starkey & Hutch movie)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm not the only one here who's tried out variations of the essential elements, which resulted in the deflector being above the Bridge. I think it's usually discounted out of some sense of unease over what the deflector actually does. Yet, I was reading Larry Niven's Known Space stories (which feature Bussard Ramjets and also mention that their magnetic fields aren't nice to central nervous systems) long before I ever thought about starship design - but not once did it occur to me to think "and who's to say that having bussard collectors, using who knows what sorts of field technology, are any better to have in close proximity to the Bridge and other parts of the lifesystem?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That nacelle seems to hug the hull pretty closely. That fixes one of the main problems that I have with single nacelle ships like the Saladin. With the nacelle so far away from the saucer, it looks so...fragile, like the nacelle will fall off at any moment, and like any maneuvers, while completely possible for the ship to do, would look weird. I have this image in my mind of the Saladin doing a snap turn, and looking like it's pivoting on it's nacelle...just doesn't look right.

The Kelvin looks like she can do all sorts of maneuvers, and not risk losing the nacelle.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WNPb8R-40

Just sayin'.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek (and other TV shows) has always had a split personality, where the TV part gets more liberty, the movie based on the franchise gets a lot more pressure to perform in its shorter timeframe. Ever since the fifth movie, (with the exception of the yawny Insurrection) Trek has had really tough competition each year and have had to improve its thriller/adventure flavor to stay on the radar. This year obviously has tougher competition than ever. Except the Matrix-years, perhaps?

Does anyone else feel like the first movie was the most series-like, thematically?
The third and sixth movies where some of the most popular, I guess, but I wonder how much that had to do with their direct Cold War themes? Besides the tlingons.

Regarding this new movie, we don't yet know the ratio between mobile/action material and dialogue/conference room plotting.
I guess they need to establish a lot of atmosphere politically and ethnically about Starfleet in the early 2200's. Any news on the theme of the movie, are they going for any parallels to real-world politics or events?

And what's the scope on the music? Any specific composer to fill in for Goldsmith?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah,I love the music in the 2nd trailer.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I believe I read, or saw somewhere, that the scoring is done by Michael Giacchino. I haven't looked him up to see any of his other features, but I remember that he did the music for Disney's Ratatouille last year. Don't know if that's exactly what we want in a Star Trek movie though...

--------------------

-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, apparently he is.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also does the music for Lost and Fringe (which to me always sound the same as eachother). I'm not a big fan based on those two, but I'm sure it won't be terrible.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....pop-up phaser turrets?

-

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks more like close-in point defense weaponry, like the US Navy's Phalanx-system.
The discharges look too small to be able to reach that humongous entity that is shown several miles away from the ship, maybe they're attacking those robotic torpedoes?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHE ALSO DID MEDAL OF HONOR 1 PSX SYTLE EAT A WATER BOTTLE TO REGAIN YOUR HEALHT

Also, he is pretty secondrate.

(Then again, so is JJ?)

(yeesh)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps