Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 29)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Well, we know from that Okudagram he died not long after seeing the proper Enterprise being (or starting to be) built. Perhaps it was the shock of losing his dog that did him in. Scotty killed Archer!

Actually, that paragraph was deleted from the final version of the display that we saw in the episode. Mike Sussman said he wrote it, but they didn't use it. So we don't actually "know" that.
Orci considers a lot of the "Star Trek EU" to be canon, so I wouldn't put it past him.
To clarify, I wouldn't have any problem with them accepting it, I just wanted to point out that if they did something contradictory it wouldn't be a "real" error.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Majel Rodenberry is the main computer.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweeeet!
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nice nod to established canon. If they hadn't used Rodenberry as the computer voice, then we'd really have to consider this a re-boot. [Wink]

I seem to remember the computer on the E-nil being male a few times. Do I remember correctly? It's been a while since I've seen the bulk of TOS episodes, so I could very easily be wrong.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I realized that the only Constitution-class computer she voiced was the Defiant in "In a Mirror, Darkly". The E-nil had several different voices, none of which were Majel. Still, it is nice to have her included.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, she definitely did the voice of the TOS computer is some episodes.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Damn! If only I'd clicked the "more" under her TOS credits in IMDb....
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your shoehorn ready.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob-orci-explains-how-the-new-star-trek-movie-fits-with-trek-canon-and-real-science/

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least it makes sense...sort of. So, is he disproving the existence of the " Giant Reset Button" that Trek seems to rely on?

And, while I'm thinking about it, does someone want to go ahead and count how many times Orci refers to quantum mechanics as " the most current and awesome scientific theory", or something to that effect. It seems that he found a way to weave that into every answer.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really to me it seems like he's just desperately trying to find a way to justify this being exactly what it is...a reboot. There is one example of this quantum mechanics view of timelines in canon, and 34 examples of "ooo fuck, we've killed our timeline...better go fix it". Like it or not, the concept of a closed timeline is the one that prevails in Trek...and really changing the basis of time meddling in Trek to one based on quantum mechanics, you're invalidating all those previous episodes in my opinion. It just makes them look like idiots for bothering to fix the timeline on all those occassions...why bother, if their timeline would have existed anyway?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Didn't you guys see "Parallels" (TNG)? Or hear of, say, the Mirror Universe? This is not a new concept for Trek.

And OF COURSE it's a device designed to allow them not to be bound strictly by established continuity. But at least it's an explanation. I cannot BELIEVE that there are so many people out there (check out the STXI board on the TrekBBS) saying "I wish they would have just done a reboot without any explanation." I would have HATED that more than Khan hated Kirk. Franchises really need to STOP. DOING. THAT.

And given the stuff we already suspend our disbelief for in Trek, is it really so hard to imagine that different methods of time travel under different circumstances produce different types of scenarios and outcomes? There could be more than one type of timeline split/paradox and more than one way of "handling" them.

Really, there hasn't ever been one overreaching unified theory of time travel employed in Trek. Various writers on various shows have always pretty much done whatever their plot required at the time. Just like warp drive. It really ought to be called plot drive.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Incidentally, this doesn't mean the movie will be good, though. I might still hate it anyway...

I definitely would have preferred a straight prequel, but since it's been fairly clear from the beginning of this project that we wouldn't get one, I consider this to be the next best thing. ANYTHING is better than a fucking remake.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only one problem with this "many worlds" explanation.

If the post-Nemesis universe continues to exist after Nero makes his jump through time, why does Spock even bother going after him? After all, from Spock's point of view, Nero simply ceases to exist.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we'll have to watch and see. Making assumptions based in incomplete information is not logical. [Wink]

Incidentally, this quantum realities plot devise seams more like a sideways retcon, than an out and out reboot as others seam to think.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
I have only one problem with this "many worlds" explanation.

If the post-Nemesis universe continues to exist after Nero makes his jump through time, why does Spock even bother going after him? After all, from Spock's point of view, Nero simply ceases to exist.

Exactly. If when you "change history" your own timeline continues to exist and a new universe is created, then it makes no sense to go back and try to change things...you might as well just carry on regardless in a universe where the only difference is that there's one less loony walking about. Indeed, in the past Trek has shown that indeed changing the past does destroy your own timeline (it's been a plot point on so many occassions where the correct flow of history must be restored).
Now I don't deny that alternate timelines exist along side of the "main" timeline, but suggesting that changing the past means your future is still there anyway seems to contradict the vast majority of time-travel episodes over the past four decades. One thing is certain, Janeway was right...temporal mechanics are a major cause of headaches!

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps