Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 24)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(spelling errors fixed) Did you think ENT should have been populated by Kubrick looking Daedalus looking ships -or- (forgive me) all those 50's rocket ship designs that Masao Okazaki made in his gallery of Rom War era star trek?
I, for one, do. Masao's designs show a respect for TOS that ENT and their Akira-based ship never had.
esecallum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yes, I was going to mention that link. One of the images posted there has a view of the new E, but with that awful 2ndary hull replaced by a more-TOS one:

-

I think it looks a lot better, which leads me to conclude that for me at least it really is the 2ndary hull which is the problem, rather than the nacelles.

As I revealed to you in an earlier post the reason for the nacelles and the support pylons being like this is as i explained before.

EXCLUSIVE NEWS REVEALED !

I work for ILM.

The reason for the nacelles and the support struts is that the nacelles rotate to alter the direction of the impulse engines which are housed inside the nacelles.

In other words the nacelles vector the thrust from the impulse engines.

This is why they are quite solid and much more robust or lumpy at the connecting points to the pylons as this houses the pivot mechanism which rotates the nacelles.

I can reveal that a red shirt will get killed as he tries to repair a stuck pivot mechanism on one of the nacelles.I can even give you a part of the script.

I hope this explains the nacelles and why the saucer is further back,this is to balance the thrust through the center of gravity of the ship thrust and make it look balanced when the nacelles vector the thrust.

I hope this clears the confusion.

If you have any other questions let me know and I will answer them.

IP: Logged
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god...let's just try to keep this thread open now, shall we? Every time he shows up, the thread gets closed...

Although, strangely enough esecallum, when I originally saw the pic of this ship, I did think of what you had said a few months ago...rotating nacelles...etc. [Confused]

I still hope it's not the case though...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

esecallum
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the case and I have revealed a plot snippet elsewhere to prove it to you that rotating nacelles are an integral part of the story.

People don't understand they had no fancy fields ,etc.

Can you people not see this is why the nacelles at the connecting point to the pylons are so thick and heavy?

This is because they house the clunky pivoting mechanism and the impulse engines too,hence the red glow you can see above.This is why you get the odd micro vent shapes on the nacelles as they allow fine venting control.

I have been mercilessly attacked,vilified,and abused and yet in the face of such unpleasantness I have persevered to help you people.

IP: Logged
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You barely have a grasp of good grammar, and you expect us to believe you work for ILM? Thanks for your perseverance to help us, but we really don't need any help, thanks.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait. You actually mean the nacelles house both Impulse propulsion AND the warp coils?

*snicker* to be fair, it's been mostly me that cooks your nuts on a open fire (you make it SOOOOO easy with the materials you post [Big Grin] ). As much as we're raging over the Edselprise (Shiny! Shiny hubcaps!) rotating nacelles is...

well, i could see it happening. cynical me could see happening. At that point, that's when i'd walk out of a Star Trek movie. Never could imagine that but since it's happened before (Metallica's St. Anger, anyone?) it could happen again.

Have you watched Macross Frontier, E?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
(spelling errors fixed) Did you think ENT should have been populated by Kubrick looking Daedalus looking ships -or- (forgive me) all those 50's rocket ship designs that Masao Okazaki made in his gallery of Rom War era star trek?
I, for one, do. Masao's designs show a respect for TOS that ENT and their Akira-based ship never had.
My ship designs and the tech behind them are not suited for a planet-of-week TV show. If my ships were used, the shows would spend most of their time flying from star to star. Sort of boring. But there's nothing wrong with "kubrick"-style ships per se. Enterprise would have been better with more realistic tech that was closer to that of our world (rather than 24th century tech)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Masao, your designs are based more on a bit of retro-hard-science-fiction approach to Trek, which means that, yes, they WOULD be pretty slow for 'Planet of the Week'...

But, from pure aesthetics, I also prefer your designs to what we're shown from this rather putrid excuse for Star Trek.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, preconceived notions, how quaint.

Also, I wouldn't call the nacelle-domes hubcaps, they look much more like those pointy red turn-light cones from classic caddilacs of the '60s. Fits nice in a retro-way, I think.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are new images of the Kelvin on the Intel website, although for some reason all I get is the site's footer (even after allowing all permissions on NoScript).

https://boldlygo.intel.com/content/index.html

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I actually really like this ship.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better angle, too. And I notice that it's got the same parasol-like deflector dish sticking out the front that the Enterprise has.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting it here, the site still doesn't work for me.

Yeah, it doesn't look so bad. It's certainly consistent with the new Enterprise and any uglyness can be put down to its age. Also, the texturing is really nice and detailed. It looks realistic.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Bah, preconceived notions, how quaint.

Let's see... we've got trailers out, which I've watched. We've got images of the ships out, which I've seen. We've had script details out, which I've read...

SO, yeah, I'm being totally down with pre-concieved notions here. I mean, really, it's not like I actually know anything about it - particularly not things like how the Enterprise looks, or that Kirk is now younger than Uhura, or that he's an 'angsty rebel without a clue', or was cast to get that pre-teen gay male demographic, etc etc etc...

So, yeah, screw you, Nim. [Razz]

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also just noticed that the Kelvin has 3 circles on the bow like the original Enterprise, and it looks like they are definitely not windows in this case.
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps