Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?) (Page 31)

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  36  37  38   
Author Topic: The $poiler-$trewn $tar Trek Movie Rumour Di$cu$$ion Thread (Did I mention $poiler$?)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yah it is. Craptastically craparific.

I don't understand how such a weapon would be holstered. There doesn't seem to be enough of a front to slide into anything. I guess there could be some kind of slot in the back of the holster for the handle to stick out of. But that would block the trigger.

Did any of the original series movies use a holster for the phasers?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Velcro or some adhesive used to attach the phaser to a belt that's worn when needed.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Actually, I believe that in TWOK, they holstered their phasers upside down in their away-jackets.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the two Starfleet assassins sent to kill the Klingon chancellor in TUC have holsters on their space suits?

Of all the movies (including post-TOS) I like the TUC hand-phasers with their slick blue beams the most. This new phaser for the movie seems to take some cues from the TUC-one, I can't wait to see it on the screen.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The laser pistol from the first episode of TOS (and The Cage) attached to a belt, but no holster as such.

I think all the movies ones had velcro, but the TOS dustbuster had a holster, and all the others did since. I'd check Lee's site if you want to be sure.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know the phaser has some knid of spinning nozzle, dependent on setting in use. I assumed they were incorporating the rotating-barrel motif of the Laser Pistols into the Phaser itself. But this looks more like the nozzle rotates horizontally, around the vertical axis, rather than around the axis of the body of the weapon like the Lasers did. Also, the handle looks more like that on the Laser rather then the Phaser.

I'm reserving judgement for now, anyway. I should really design a page for my website but I simply can't be bothered. I can't decide whether to: add it to the existing TOS section (easy, but probably wrong and certainly anachronistic); create a new section altogether (more work, and I'd have to redesign the whole front page); or, the preferable option - to completely re-design the site using more modern coding which allows you to browse by date or type of weapon (like I'll ever have the time, inclination or ability).

I think the TOS Type-I was intended to have a little concealed holster but I'm not sure whether it was ever shown (by all accounts they just tucked it into their waistbands when filming). The only other holster seen prior to TNG was the weird upside-down configuration on the TWoK Away-Team jackets, as Sean said. Other than that, weapons were just fastened to the outside of clothing by Starfleet Magic.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
We know the phaser has some kind of spinning nozzle, dependent on setting in use. I assumed they were incorporating the rotating-barrel motif of the Laser Pistols into the Phaser itself. But this looks more like the nozzle rotates horizontally, around the vertical axis, rather than around the axis of the body of the weapon like the Lasers did.

Rightness, I haz it.

--------------------

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.. it's Uhura and her two gay cosplay friends!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I'm not commenting on the dolls, because honestly, I could care less, but on the props...

The tricorder looks nice, as does the communicator, though that looks a bit too much like an iPod ( I notice a theme going here). The phaser looks nice, although I don't see a detachable type I anywhere. At least that's only a minor technical detail that could be easily left out, and all the props actually pretty closely resemble the originals they are supposed to represent.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"From the looks of the images these dolls are very detailed and have excellent likenesses, especially Pine."

Is there something wrong with this reviewer's eyes? I guess, technically, the Kirk doll's face is slightly less horrifyingly wrong than the Spock one...

Lee
Member # 393

These are people who look at Barbie dolls for a living, mind. They're bound to have skewed perceptions of normality.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Phaser!!!

--------------------

-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen we have created the universe's gayest phaser.
Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to hope that that really -isn't- too close to the prop used in the movie, 'cause that looks rediculous. The one used in TOS, even the Playmates version thereof, was far superior.

But, I guess, that one didn't look like an iPod threw up.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, phaser set to bling...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  36  37  38   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps