Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: X-Men 2, what did you think? $$$$$$$$
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thought I had about the Phoenix and Jean Grey at the end... I doubt they're going to do the whole alien connection. They seemed to hint at the end that this was going to be some uber mutation for Jean. In other words... she's just going to advance much, much farther in her abilities. But, Lawd!... When I saw the Phoenix effect start to manifest itself while she was holding back the water... it blew my mind.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did they ever make any further reference in the comic to wolverine supposedly being centuries old?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an episode many years ago that had him fighting in WWII. And the new mini series "Origins" had him starting off as a teenager in the 1890's, if I'm not mistaken.

I think "centuries" is a bit much, though.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh.. i heard a reference to a story that supposedly involved him in the 1700s, but im not sure where i got that from..
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the early 80s they used to drop occasional hints that Logan was a lot older than he looked. I remember one X-Men annual from the period had him mentally comment that the situation reminded him "of that bloody winter below Monte Cassini", a hint that Logan had fought in Italy in WWII. Supposedly at the time the in-house origin for Wolverine had him being 60 years old, and Sabretooth was 120 years old and his father.

It's like the changes with his skeleton. Originally it was supposed to be entirely adamantium. Then they changed it to being laced with adamantium (apparently someone realized that whoever did this to him would have had one hell of a time threading the vertebrae around his nerves). The claws were always supposed to be built into bionic housings in the forearms (how these were able to extend through his wrists without seriously wrecking the joints was another thing never addressed). Then one of the writers had him pop his claws after losing the adamantium, and boy, did that generate comments! (To Marvel's credit, the first time he did it after losing the adamantium, everyone was shocked -- even Logan!)

One interesting thing about the way the claws extended in the Origins mini-series. Instead of popping out between his metacarpals (the bones of the palms) as the movies and most of the comics have his claws do, the artist has them extending from the surfaces of the first three palm bones themselves. While this makes sense from the aspect of the whole wrist joint problem, it raises another difficulty: just how the blazes would he be able to do that after his bones have been sheathed in adamantium? Isn't the stuff supposed to be indestructible?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAMA: Fair enough. Did you read the Origin of Wolverine?

CLAREMONT: Which one?

NRAMA: [laughs] The Paul Jenkins miniseries.

CLAREMONT: I did read it. So you were saying?

NRAMA: Was that the way it was meant it to be?

CLAREMONT: I would rather not say. Paul has his ideas.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
There was an episode many years ago that had him fighting in WWII. And the new mini series "Origins" had him starting off as a teenager in the 1890's, if I'm not mistaken.

I think "centuries" is a bit much, though.

That was DEFINITELY one of comics worst stories despie incredible Jim Lee artwork!
In that story Wolverine, The Black Widow (as a young girl) and captain America team up to stop Baron Strucker and HYDRA from joining forces with the Hand ninjas.
First, someone really should have pointed out to Claremont that his story is set a few months before the Pearl Harbor attack!!!!!!!
There would have been NO Captain America BEFORE WWII started (as per every Cap story ever written)!
He really makes a point of saying that WWII is "a few months away" during the story and they need to prevent this alliance now!
Ug. What a moron.
Next, this story puts the Black widow at close to 70 years old by current times (she's lookin' hot for a 70 year old human in the Avengers) and last time I checked, her only time-defying healing factor was "Max Factor". [Wink]
Lastly HYDRA was formed after WWII by nazi war crimminals into a terrorist organization: Strucker was a SS Comandant IIRC.
Skip this story unless you want to develop instant pathological hatred for Chris Claremont.
He's a good writer overall, but he was burnt out on "X-Everything" that Marvel was tryng to milk sales with back then and those were the last X-books he'd write for a few years.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

First, someone really should have pointed out to Claremont that his story is set a few months before the Pearl Harbor attack!!!!!!!
There would have been NO Captain America BEFORE WWII started (as per every Cap story ever written)!

Maybe they were using the starting date of WWII as defined by the rest of the world, rather than the starting date the US uses?

Unlikely, I know...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap didint come about before Pearl Harbor.
He joined up because of it.
Wolverine being 100+ years old has always bothered me: it makes him a highlander knock off with claws (what with all the flashback issues and all).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except, of course, that all this stuff with Logan being a lot older than he looks started years before Highlander hit the screen.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so far behind on watching big screen movies, I haven't even seen Nemesis yet. I may have to rent a huge screen tv for a weekend from a rent to own to watch it at least some what correctly....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, wouldn't the theatres be cheaper?
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
Except, of course, that all this stuff with Logan being a lot older than he looks started years before Highlander hit the screen.

Really? I don't remember any references to it until the very late eighties.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh and what about when Jean used Xavier to talk to Scott - sad moment but - for a moment there (and I did laugh - which soughta spoilt the moment for me!) It looked as if Xavier(Jean Controlled)/Scott were going to Kiss! LOL! See if you can spot it too!
Funny thing, that's not the first time Patrick Stewart has been in such a situation. In Lifeblood he plays a scientist who gets possessed by a nude space vampire, and the main guy has this confrontation with him/her/it during which you see either PS or the actress (Mathilde May) on this table. And since the hero has a thing for the vamp, there are a few intense (-ly hilarious) moments of staring into each others eyes. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That's Lifeforce. [Wink]
Not a bad movie for creepy spaceship design.

...and Wolverine being older than hell was started back in the late 80's after the Woverine comic became a monthly thing.
It started with stories of him being a settler in the Canadian woods with a native indian girl called Silver Fox.
The memories all turned out to be false (along with most of his origin) and Silver Fox turned out to be a weapon X-er that was now a HYDRA bigwig.
Admantium claws very much like the ones Deathstrike had in the movie were built into her hands. I sure don't remember if she was a mutant but I don't think so.
I think Wolvie ended up killing her too...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps