Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » OMG OMG GO CALGARY GO OMG OMG!!!!!!!! (Page 7)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: OMG OMG GO CALGARY GO OMG OMG!!!!!!!!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the Czechos beat Latvia, and Germany draw against Holland. Incidentally, just learned from the Guardian's minute-by-minute coverage that the Germans have a player called Bernd Schneider:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/euro2004/minutebyminute/story/0,14582,1239438,00.html

What a guy! Isn't there anything he can't do? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1-fucking-1

Meh. Meh. Meh.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany pissed all over Holland in that game. The Dutch should be ashamed of that performance, especially considering the players that they have. Of course, the same thing could be said about Portugal.

And yes, Cartman, some football games are boring. That makes the exciting ones more...exciting. A goal actually means something, compared to the US sport idea of someone scoring every 3 and a half seconds.

And the 1-1 was quite good. Ish. Better once Holland equalised, certainly.

I can't believe I don't finish work until 5 on Thursday. I'm going to have to run and everything.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soccer / Football !!
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greece are through, Russia are out. England need to beat Switzerland tonight but will probably only manage a draw - they are neutral, after all.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ZING WOWEE
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee loses the power-up here, I'm afraid.

Tsk, we play worse than we did against France, and yet we win 3-0. Typical. And what's happened to Owen and Beckham? Nice set up for the goal from Michael, but it would be nice if he'd put a couple away.

Thank goodness that Rooney is, frankly, awesome. The fat little genius.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

Well, I'd sooner be proved wrong for going with the tried-and-tested Swiss-are-neutral gag than my first instinct, which was to say "Oh, come on, surely we'll be able to beat Switzerland?! Do they even have enough flat level ground for a football pitch?" Because I knew that as far as England go, that would be tempting fate far too much. . .

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

And that free-kick just before half-time proves my point about James - "about as mobile as an American steak-eating champion, post-competition" as one report puts it.

So now we're into the "if we do this, we're OK just so long as they do that" stage of the tournament. We only need to draw against Croatia and it really doesn't matter what happens in the France-Switzerland game. Unless the Swiss win with some ludicrous amount of goals anyway.

Pu it tlike this. Currently the scoreboard is -

Fr 4 Eng 3 Cro 2 Sw 1

If we win and France win it'll be -

Fr 7 Eng 6 Cro 2 Sw 1

If we win and France loses it'll be -

Eng 6 Fr 4 Sw 4 Cro 2

If we draw and France wins -

Fr 7 Eng 4 Cro 3 Sw 1

If we draw and France draws -

Fr 5 Eng 4 Cro 3 Sw 2

If we draw and France loses -

Fr 4 Eng 4 Sw 4 Cro 3

. . . then it comes down to goal difference, and the three we just got would help quite a lot.

If England lose against Croatia then we're fucked.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Actually, no. In tournaments like this, it always comes down to who won of the two equal teams, so if we and France have equal points we'll come in behind them.

Regarding that free kick though, did you see James shouting at his wall? He was obviously trying to do something. Didn't work, but still, he tried.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

So at best we'll get runner up in that instance. Not bad really. Unless you consider that by only getting runner-up in our group at the last World Cup, we then went on to meet Brazil whereas if we'd won the group we wouldn't have met them before the Final (I think).

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You lost me after "Objects In Browser /.../".

No matter, no battle plan has ever survived contact with the barf. Or the spats (lol spit in te face).

We will bury them. Rubber soles in motion. Over and out.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Sweden-Italy is over, I haven't seen a game this intense in years. Four yellow cards and a shitload of trips and tugs.
But Zlatan is the man! Heeling it right into Italy's soft, succulent center, in the middle of a furball.
Italy sure were scared of our sharpshooters, they intercepted any swede or turnip making their way remotely towards the center, then caught the ball and rolled it home to their goalie, every time, like good little pussies.
If Spitti had still been in, things would've been different, and Zlatan's shoeheeling was just a godsend.
If we play our cards right and kick the danish fynbo on sunday, we'll be in business.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Shit, I forgot about Italy-Sweden, by, er, falling asleep. (I have had a hard day at work, damnit!)

England CAN go above France, but we'd need to win and France needs to lose. Not terrible likely (although I don't think France will put out their first team on Monday, since they're already through. They'll be saving them.)

There is a very good chance we'll be facing Greece in the next round though, which is good. We can certainly beat them.

Honestly, the only team to really be worried about is France, and we can't face them until the final. And we can beat them. England always get better as tournaments go on. And remember, for 92 minutes we were beating them.

Nim...any ideas when we'd face you if we both got through?

And surely we have more European posters here. Where's clinical Bernd?

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I don't think there's any way for us to meet before the semi-final. At the earliest.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps