Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Time to bow out... (Page 10)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Time to bow out...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh-oh. Now, like always, Omega is going to cry "ad-homenium!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wasn't thinking him a cup of coffee and he asked (well not asked in so many words...we want to be precise here so I don't have to go through the whole I twisted his words around crap).

Omgea, for the watchers of the thread, has no idea how constitutional law works but wants to be the expert. For he has declared the Court's action illegal.

And yet he can't even tell me what the Court's overriding principle was in their decision. As such he have absolutly no grounds to call the decision extra legal.

But that will not stop him from diverting people's attention and saying "find flaw" when the whole argument is based on conservative hatred of a ruling by the Florida Supreme Court.

The Court was right and saying it was extra leagal IS the flaw.

Overriding Principle (what we pay Supreme Courts do deliberate about) is what the whole case comes down to....did anyone read the opinion?

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited November 28, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I've told you that your basic premise that the Court acted in an extra legal manner is flawed."

Ah, THIS explains your confusion! That is NOT my premise. That is my CONCLUSION. The little numbered things underneath them are my premises LEADING to that conclusion.

"The Court was right and saying it was extra leagal IS the flaw."

So basically, you've just said that the flaw in my argument is not in the argument at all, but in the conclusion? Again, "Screw logic, the court is right, no matter what."

Now, I'm again going out on a limb, and I'm going to try to decypher what you're saying, since you refuse to give the straight, simple answer I desire. It SEEMS that you're saying that my premise that the court wrote new law is the incorrect one. Is this what you're trying to say?

If so, then I'd love to see how you can possibly interpret Florida law to add in the word "arbitrarily," or to give the power to extend a deadline to a court. It ain't there. They created it.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

This is getting funny.

Props for not dealing with any real issues Omega.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Read the opinion and come back with the overriding principle.

Or keep pointing to the dark space in your mind and trying to distract people from the Court's legal basis.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he's got that Republican way down pretty good.....

**Yes, I just did a generalization.**

So shoot me......

Does that fact that I read somewhere that this is a Democratic Supreme Court have anything to do with Omega's dwelling on this???

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited November 28, 2000).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably. For all Omega's posturing to be "independent", he doesn't do a lot of "independent" thought ...

Oh, whooops ...

Hold on, Omega, I'll do it for ya:

Jay & JK: That was an ad-homenium, and I demand an apology! That is not a valid debate tactic! Blah-blah-blah-blah ...

::sigh::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I think what it comes down to is that Omega could add his name to the dissenting opinion...had any of the justices dissented.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. bright boy. YOU post the "overriding principle" so we can get this over with.

Oh, and it's AD-HOMINEM. At least try to pick your knuckles off the ground long enough to spell it right, you ignorant savages.

(for those of you not bright enough to 'get it' and not be offended, that whole 'ignorant savages' bit is simply a little reverse ad-hominem, so they can know what it's like. Those of you who actually HAVE brainstems may continue.)

------------------
"...you're in a 7-11, you're eighteen years old, you don't know shit about shit... PULL UP YOUR PANTS!" -- Denis Leary

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited November 29, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited November 29, 2000).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Ritten, you First.....

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed you guys spend more time talking about Omega than contributing to the discussion. Its one of the reasons I don't often join these discussions.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed...maybe these discussions could be more productive if people wouldn't attack him so often...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Thank you"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? It's not on topic, and I'm sure it's an ad-hominiumium, and ad-titanium, and certainly is an ad-vertisementum. FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!!! POST THE KNIGHTRIDER PRINCIPLE!!!!!

Oh, hell, it's David Hasselhoff. HE'S the PRINCIPLE. Ugh.

Although, I can understand why poking fun at Omega's expense is common. Holier-than-thou attitudes deserve a smack in the head, and since these guys are not close enough to Omega to Layeth the smacketh down, they 'word murder' him.

And, it's not like Omega's the perfect little, non-insulting, non-derogatory blanket statement king himself. Oh no.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Your Edification, Omega isn't the only person to hold this opinion on the court's overstepping its authority. Some REAL "legal experts" apparently agree... at least, enough to file their own suit and brief...

From MSN News:

"Bush's brief asks the court to overturn the Florida Supreme Court's ruling last week that required Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris to accept hand-counted ballots after Nov. 14, the deadline she said was set by state law.

Bush's attorneys argued that the Florida court's extension of that deadline violated the U.S. Constitution by infringing on the state Legislature's responsibility to ensure the proper election of the state's 25 members of the Electoral College.

The Constitution, the Bush brief said, gives that power solely to a state's lawmakers, not its courts. The court improperly obliterated that distinction when it allowed hand recounts to continue in three Democratic-leaning counties for 12 days beyond Nov. 14."

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps