Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Time to bow out... (Page 13)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Time to bow out...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't sue people over misspelled words.. I think you have us confused with the Gore campaign.

Omega, I think by now that they just misspell it to annoy you.
Typical gadfly misdirection trick. Provide a meaningless but bothersome distraction so that the main attack gets ignored. Didn't work, though it DID garner more than its share of attention.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We don't sue people over misspelled words.. I think you have us confused with the Gore campaign."

Before I explode with laughter, I think I should post a quote from Omega.

"Ad HOMINEM, you lingually challenged twit. It's spelled H-O-M-I-N-E-M. You could at least do yourself the favor of seeing how the word is spelled by looking at the times First and I have used it. Maybe you could even look it up."

*points* Na na na na nah, hypocrites, hypocrites, na na na na nyah!

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited December 07, 2000).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Explain the logic underlying that conclusion.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

explain the logic underlying that conclusion

That Omega sure likes making a big deal over the fact that I don't spell it correctly. Surely, by pointing out that he is a superior speller (except when it comes to "Britain"), he is attempting a gadfly misdirection trick from the topic at hand.

And then you defend him (no problem there), by insinuating that only the Gore campaign would make such a big deal over a mis-spelling ... yourself conveniently forgetting that Omega made the big deal over it ...

Can we get back on topic now, or would the Republicans (and the so-called Independent) like to continue to bitch about spelling?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 07, 2000).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"That Omega sure likes making a big deal over the fact that I don't spell it correctly. Surely, by pointing out that he is a superior speller (except when it comes to "Britain"), he is attempting a gadfly misdirection trick from the topic at hand."

When did I say I was a superior speller? I simply stated that your spelling was incorrect, and has been for the couple dozen times you've used the word. And that's even after you'd been corrected by Rob. If you REALLY want to compair to me, then look up how many times I misspelled "Britain" after I was told it was wrong.

But yes, please, let's get back on topic.

Actually, I've already shredded the editorial you posted, so I think it's your turn to reply...

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point is this, Omega.

Bush wins. Gets into office.

People count the ballots over the next few years ... and discover that Gore won the majority of the votes. Which means ... that Gore won the popular ... won the electorate ... and yet Bush is in the White House?

Now, if that scenario does happen to come around, what will happen?

And obviously blacks do believe Republicans to be racist. Otherwise, they wouldn't have voted against Bush in the numbers that they did.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having talked with 10 of my black customers during my last week at Colortyme I had 1 that was a Republican. The others thought that Bush would ease up taxing the people that make more money than they do. Since they feel that they, blacks, make far less than whites do, except for the 1, then they will feel the burden of these lowered tax rates for the rich folks.
The 1 Republican only told me that he was a Republican, but wouldn't discuss it further.

Sorry I couldn't get more numbers for my little survey, but the last week there was a bitch, doing my job as Assistant Manager, and filling in for Customer Service and Delivery Driver was getting to me. Then the Regional Manager had the nerve to write me up for my office not being tidy..... Well, f*ck, if I were in the store instead of on the road maybe I could have picked up after the Manager, Sales Rep., and Account Managers.

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

>"Since they feel that they, blacks, make far less than whites do, except for the 1, then they will feel the burden of these lowered tax rates for the rich folks."

You realize, of course, that this is a completely nonsensical view to hold, for a couple reasons.

1: Bush's plan was and still is for an across-the-board tax cut. Which means your other people will be paying less tax, too. This is HARDLY a burden. Hell, I make little enough to qualify to pay NO taxes. How can this hurt me?

2: There is no reason that if taxes on the rich are lowered, taxes on the not-rich must be raised. It's a zero-sum belief, which doesn't work in circumstances where there is a budget surplus. THEY WON'T BE PAYING MORE, to use small words.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And obviously blacks do believe Republicans to be racist. Otherwise, they wouldn't have voted against Bush in the numbers that they did."

And since Republicans AREN'T racist, this begs the question, "Why do black people believe this?" The obvious answer is that they've been lied to by the Democratic Party. Do you really want to support a party that lies to get votes?

"Bush wins. Gets into office.

People count the ballots over the next few years ... and discover that Gore won the majority of the votes. Which means ... that Gore won the popular ... won the electorate ... and yet Bush is in the White House?

Now, if that scenario does happen to come around, what will happen?"

That depends on how good the Democrats are at the time at lying, how good the Republicans are at telling the truth, and the general state of intelligence in the populace. Of COURSE someone's gonna count the ballots and "discover" that Gore got a majority of the apparent vote. The whole idea now is to delegitimize the Bush presidency. The only question will be whether the GOP can get the word out well enough that the people who counted the ballots were not under supervision, and were (as they certainly will) modifying the ballots as they went.

How hard would it be to take the thousands of ballots that the Gore people are lying about (you know, the ones they keep saying that they haven't been counted) that contain no vote for president at all, and to knock out the Gore chad? There'd be no way to prove tampering. See, that's why we have that deadline in the law, and that's why we have such stringincy on the hand recounts. Heck, if someone announces that these thousands of non-votes gave Gore enough to win, we'll KNOW they're lying. If they contained that many actual votes, how were they missed by the machines? Twice?

It's all a question of how well the GOP will get the word out. Simple as that. And since he'd be in office, I'd bet Bush wouldn't hesitate to call them on it. Repeatedly.

Again, think about it. Do you really want to support a party who has to lie, cheat, and steal simply to make it LOOK like they won? And, looking at yourself objectively, what does supporting such people make you?

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents worth on all of this.

EVERYONE LIES.

Find me one and I mean ONE honest politician who hasn't lied to his/her constituents and i'll personally show you my villia on Syria Planum on Mars.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Good job avoiding the question, Omega. You're a master at it, and I'm sure you'll fit in with the rest of the politicians if you decide to go into that field. Bravo!

But the point is this, Omega. Your argument that a hand-recount would be invalid (or could be argued as such) only would work if the count was done by a liberal partisan. You seem to overlook independents, of which you laughingly consider yourself one. What would the GOP do if The New York Times or The Washington Post ran this headline: Independent Florida Recount Reveals Gore Won 2000 Election!?

Feel free to view this as a hypothetical situation. If you were Bush's chief of staff, and that headline ran in 2002, what would you do? I don't think saying "the media is a liberal controlled whore!" would work very well, now would it?

"And since Republicans aren't racist, this begs the question, "Why do black people believe this?" The obvious answer is that they've been lied to by the Democratic Party. Do you really want to support a party that lies to get votes?"-Omega

You seem to be of the belief that the average African-American male is a) too stupid or b) too ignorant to realize when he is being lied to -- in your example, by the Democratic Party. Isn't that assumption largely racist in and by itself?

What you fail to consider is that the Democratic Party has a better track-record with looking out for the benefit of those who do not fall into the category of "white protestant males." This was much truer in times long gone (when the KKK was actually a political power), but I would imagine that African-Americans remember that less than 150 years ago, they were slaves, and less than 40 some years ago, were not "equal" in society.

They also remember that Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and that the Kennedys (you know, JFK? And especially Robert) were strong supporters of freedom.

Omega
Member # 91

QW:

Cynical, aren't we? We know that pretty well every Democrat involved with this is lying through his teeth. Give me evidence that ONE Republican involved with this campaign has done the same.

JK:

What question did I avoid? The one about what would happen? I answered that. I said that it would depend on various factors, and listed the factors. Of course, the only thing it really would affect is popular opinion. Nothing would change, in the big picture, as Bush would still be president.

"You seem to be of the belief that the average African-American male is a) too stupid or b) too ignorant to realize when he is being lied to -- in your example, by the Democratic Party. Isn't that assumption largely racist in and by itself?"

a) Why did you single out males? Just curious.

b) I make no assumptions. I simply make observations. The Democratic Party lies to the black community. The black community, by and large, believes them. I made no statement as to why. However, I would point out that the same thing applies to ALL democrats, regardless of race, including yourself. You're lied to, and you simply accept it as the truth. You tell me why.

"What you fail to consider is that the Democratic Party has a better track-record with looking out for the benefit of those who do not fall into the category of "white protestant males.""

Better track record? How do you figure? The Democrats in congress opposed the Civil Rights Act. Due to a tax cut instituted by a Republican president, the black middle class grew from 2.6 million to 3.9 million. Heck, the Democratic party was formed on the basis of keeping slavery alive! Check your facts, man.

Just what do you think it is that Democrats have done for black people, anyway? Unless you count lying to them as a favor.

Now, would you care to answer MY questions about how you can justify supporting a party such as the DNC?

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Kindly list examples where the DNC has lied to black voters. Oh, and Bill Clintons, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" speech doesn't count.

And again, bravo on not answering the question.

Unless you mean to tell me, that faced with a situation where he lost both the popular and electoral vote, that George W. Bush would remain in office?

Omega, why do you support the Republicans? I really don't give a flying shit why you support them, and I don't know why you give a damn about why I support the Democrats. I support the side that I believe to be better for society.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

"Unless you mean to tell me, that faced with a situation where he lost both the popular and electoral vote, that George W. Bush would remain in office?"

But that is not a possible situation. Once the electoral votes have been cast, they can not be un-cast. Therefore, it is impossible for Gore to win the electoral vote post facto. Any count performed by an independant organization would not be legally acceptable. Therefore, as Bush has won all legally acceptable counts of the votes cast in Florida, Gore can not be logically be said to have won the state, at any point. Your question is moot.

"I really don't give a flying shit why you support the [GOP], and I don't know why you give a damn about why I support the Democrats. I support the side that I believe to be better for society."

As for why I care about why you support who you do, I simply wish to understand your positions better.

So you believe that the DNC's positions, if implemented, would be better for society than those of the GOP. Fair enough. What is your basis for that conclusion?

"Kindly list examples where the DNC has lied to black voters. Oh, and Bill Clintons, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" speech doesn't count."

That black voters were being disenfranchised in Florida.
That Bush was responsible for the Byrd death.
That Bush did not sign a hate-crimes law in Texas.
That a different hate-crimes law would prevent further deaths of black people.
That Republicans are racist.
That the DNC has done more than the GOP to advance the cause of equal rights.
That the welfare programs instituted by the DNC have helped Black families escape poverty.
That the GOP congressmen didn't care about black schools, and only wanted to take pictures of them.
That said congressmen only wanted to have their pictures taken with black children, but were in "reality" trying to cut the funding that paid for a portion of their school lunches.
That quotas help black people get educations.

That's just off the top of my head. Want more?

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think i'm gonna get into this in a way...

Omega said (ad nasuem)

"That black voters were being disenfranchised in Florida."

Really? Do you live in Florida? I do. And disenfranchisement is an old topic here.

"That Bush was responsible for the Byrd death."

Not directly, but he sure as hell help foster the eviroment that CAUSED it to happen.

"That Bush did not sign a hate-crimes law in Texas."

Well, he DIDN'T. Mainly because of fundie Christians objected to the parts which went after crimes commited on the condition of sexual orientation.

"That a different hate-crimes law would prevent further deaths of black people."

You must have pulled that one out of your ass, Omega-baka.

"That Republicans are racist."

Historically, they've been indifferent. Which is just as bad.

"That the DNC has done more than the GOP to advance the cause of equal rights."

In the present, yes they have. Go see the NAACP's page for that.

"That the welfare programs instituted by the DNC have helped Black families escape poverty."

That's true. But not just blacks but other groups as well.

"That the GOP congressmen didn't care about black schools, and only wanted to take pictures of them."

I have never seen OUR local congressman, Joe Scarborugh (R) ever show up at any black school in Pensacola. Ever.

"That said congressmen only wanted to have their pictures taken with black children, but were in "reality" trying to cut the funding that paid for a portion of their school lunches."

Newt Gingrich tried to do this. See his record for more details.

"That quotas help black people get educations."

Yes because of REDLINING. Know what that is?

I've lurked here for a loooong time trying to figure out when I should put in my two cents worth. And now it's time to do so. You, Omega, are a complete and total brainwash victim. I don't know which is sadder. The fact that you like to spew Republican propaganda like it was the official word from God on high or that you just don't know any better because you've spent WAY to much time in denial that you are a closet Democrat.

When you finally do get your head out of your ass and wake up and see the world for what it REALLY is, then maybe you'll grow the hell up. And for the record - I loath both the Republicans and the Democrats. As a Floridian, they both turned this whole election into a freak show and I most certainly wish they'd ALL GO AWAY!

That's my opinion overall.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps