Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I've never really posted anything in here before but... I'm a little... unsettled. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: I've never really posted anything in here before but... I'm a little... unsettled.
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you beleive something just because it's in a very old book. That pretty much makes you seem dumb, no offense.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
See, God's not a liberal.

Considering God doesn't exist, God's not God, either.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"God DOESN'T run the universe."

Perhaps.. but he DOES like to brag about it... (Job)

"He COULD, but he chooses not to interfere most of the time."

Unfortunately, He's not the least bit consistent about when He'll intervene and for whom. That's why, under identical circumstances, some people die and others are saved.

"See, God's not a liberal. He doesn't believe in micromanaging every little portion of your life."

Unless you're one of those people who prays to God every 30 seconds (like the people who think prayer in school is really necessary), or who believes "God has a plan for me"... like virtually every other Christian in the US

"I suppose you could legitimately say that God is the cause of every event in history, as God is the ultimate Source, but every event that has ever happened has NOT been God's will."

Something happens, and you know about it in advance, can stop it, but choose not to, then it's your will that it happens as surely as if you did it yourself.

"There's a difference between setting up a sequence of events that causes something only after being interfered with by others; and actively DOING it."

There's a difference between laying out a minefield and actually stepping into it, too.

God laid the minefield. The minefield is all the various ways of sin (which God gave us by combining the Tree of Knowledge, Satan, and Free Will all in the same place, and allowing all the 'false' religions and beliefs and actions to flourish -- even do better than -- those of the 'faithful')

But we're the ones who have to walk through it. And don't lay Jesus's life on me... he had a Get Out of Hell Free card, being part divine as He was. God never took the risks He asks us to take.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nothing to see here

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited March 21, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Three people posted at the 'xact same time.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but only one of us had anything constructive to say.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Now, hold on. God doesn't exist, therefore the whole conversation is moot. Very contructive to point that out!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 21, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course, nobody YET has explained to my satisfaction just what it is Lucifer/Satan/Sammael wants with human souls. Are they, like, fuel for the war effort? Soldiers? Bricks in the Wall?"

Have you not seen the fantastic movie starring Jaleel White (Or something. "Hey Malebolgia, Got any cheese?") and cartoons which are based on a comic book by Todd McFarlane, which also SPAWNed* a toy line?

* I AM THE MAST0R PUNN3R.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Benson, by dismissing God so outright, and generally, you're not any more becoming than the Fundamentalists you dislike for their views, dismissing non-Christians so outright, and generally.

In a discussion Regarding the Relevence of Revelations (Alliteration = Yes!), simply spouting off comments, in a Tourettes fashion, about your disdain and disbelief in the beliefs and mythology of others, does nothing to help progress this debate.

I recall you mentioning that you felt that God doesn't exist on the first page of this thread. I don't think we've all forgotten, and you attempts to remind us, while constant, are in vain, young sir.

If we were discussing Gun Control, Like we have, Many times. Many times. Many. I don't think the interjection of a person insisting that they don't like the guns, or the gun owners, would be taken to seriously, and wouldn't help the argument.

While I can't say that I disagree with your sentiments, perhaps statements, or discussion that was less general, and provided more fuel for your argument, would work a little better.

Or something.

DOLPH LUNDGREN!

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Good point, UM.

I believe in faith. That is: that people can have faith that God exists, but trying to support God's existance by quoting from a very ancient book that God has no hand in writing, is completely ridiculous.

There is no proof that God exists. There is proof that faith exists. However, faith does not prove God. Faith merely proves the existance of a belief in God.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 21, 2001).]

Member # 239

This is the best Gene Ray I've ever seen that was pulled unintentionally:

"There is no proof that God exists. There is proof that faith exists. However, faith does not prove God. Faith merely proves the existance of a belief in God."

I do agree with this point, though.

------------------

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe God's existence can be proven... we just haven't done it yet. There's a recent article in Discover Magazine that certainly suggests we're close. Faith may not prove His existence, but then again, when one has faith, one doesn't need to.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

[This message has been edited by Jeff Raven (edited March 21, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

How does Discover Magazine propose that they will find God?

And all Faith proves is that you're delusional

Now, mind you, yes, Faith is a great and wonderful thing, and while I'm sure you do believe in God (and I'm certainly not trying to ridicule your beliefs), how do you know you're not just deluding yourself?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Member # 239

Yes, I too, would like a summary of how Discover magazine believes we can find a God. Or at least, how "we are close".

Personally, I think it may have to do with Sulphur. But don't quote me on that.

A search on discover.com, for 'discovering god' reveals three hits. Something about the Mars Lander, when Nike was a 'God', and something about a crazy NASA mission.

When searching for 'Man Train', 12 results were obtained. Perhaps finding a Man Train is a more important task for Discover Magazine. Perhaps God is ON the Man Train.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 21, 2001).]

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps