Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT's your contradiction:

While God is sitting in his lovely Omnipotent Gardenhouse, 11 million people (and very religious people) are murdered!
Even for an omnipotent being, "They'll learn from it" is a very, very lame excuse.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And like 20 million in China that no one ever talks about....

That is one hell of a learning experience.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the problem with including massacres and wars in the list of charges is that those things are man-made. People do choose to committ them, and stopping them WOULD violate the 'free will' clause.

But disease, birth defect, and death by natural disaster, THOSE are the "Acts of God" for which only a deity can be held responsible.

You'd stand a better chance of conviction on those.

Like the time when a kid's choir was singing in a church in Kansas and a tornado hit the church and killed a six-year-old girl.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no ... God just wanted a private performance that night ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't decide if that's really sick, or really funny. A little of both, I suppose... *L*

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Jeff, you sick fuck..... that was great.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dewd, come on. Some decisions are hard to make, but it's not up to god to interfere. In a society such as today's a divine intervention could never be understood. It's just like the Vorlons in B5, they leave you to take your own path, and you and only you have to make all of the decisions along the way, and when you're ready, god might reveal himself to us, or he might not. I say we just forget about it and do our own thing, if he wanted to contact us, he would, he hasn't so that means just chill and forget about it, do your own thing.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, ultimately, when you get down to it, the Vorlons were selfish egotistical jerks who manipulated human being and used the younger races as pawns...

Oh, I see where you're going. Yeah, good analogy. That would make Revelations the advent of God's Planet Killer.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at his sig* Oh fittle sticks...

This is why people of the faith both impress and frighten me. On the one hand, they can make themselves believe that black is white, because they believe God tells them so. On the other hand, they let themselves believe that black is white, because they think God tells them so.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up Lilith yet. You know, Adam's first wife, the one omitted from the Bible?

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

[This message has been edited by David Templar (edited May 09, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait! You mean ... the Bible leaves stuff out? ::gasp:: Yet another reason why it shouldn't be taken as whole 100% gospel truth?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Posted May 05, 2001 10:12 PM from 216.80.153.*

That was the time of Omega's last post in this thread. Shall this be taken to mean he has given up on defending the Bible against its detractors ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 09, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe I'm just rediculously busy, and don't have the free time to spend two hours typing? Ya think? Give me a bit. I'll be back.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it leaves out almost all of Isho's ("Jesus'", for those who don't remember my pointing out his actual name) life between his birth and about age thirty. Has anyone read the book The Light of Other Days, by Arthur Clarke and... some other guy? It suggests he may have been married and had kids during that time. And even sailed to England.

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You usually seem to have the time, Omega ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also that story about the 'Holy Grail' being nothing less than Jesus' child, carried by Miss Magdalena. There allegedly is some mysterious organization that protects Jesus' bloodline, and on some strange list of that organization you can find names like Leonardo daVinci and Isaac Newton, among others. Of course, all this stuff has got to to with grain circles, Templars, UFOs and stuff.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps