Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How does the Bible contradict itself? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: How does the Bible contradict itself?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used quotes to emphasize that the number '2' is merely a label (in fact, for the set of all things with the attribute of 'twoness').

Yes, but that's not mathematics. That's semantics, an otherwise unrelated field.

Or to put it another way...

"Don't play lawyer-ball, boy!" -- Hank Hill

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fo2:

Interestingly enough, those of us who believe it's all a load of horse manure haven't been proven wrong, either.

Ah, but I never said that that was my intention, did I?

Tim:

A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet. Insert corny "Rose of Sharon" reference here.

Eclipse:

Don't suppose you could post us the first few verses of Genesis in your version of the Bible, could you?

Which ones do you want?

DT:

Your arguement is that the bible is the inspired word of god. Mine is that it is a collection of writings. If Samuel erred, but was inspired when he erred, there creates a problem.

No, no, he was inspired while WRITING, not for every second of his life. If he was writing about his own actions in the past, he would HAVE to write down his mistake. Otherwise, it'd be a false writing.

if god can repent, then he is not perfect

Only by certain definitions of "repent".

"Who said the original judgement was wrong? God simply changed it. Probably, he wanted Moses to learn something."
Learn what?

That, "Hey! I really do care about these annoying people." Nothing like forcing someone to say something out loud to cement the idea in their mind.

Theoretically, god could've found someone to be king who he would not letter regret having made king.

But then the Israelites wouldn't have learned what they did about the folly of kings from Saul. David had to be king. It was part of the overall plan (Jesus, and such). The only way to get the people to accept David as a king might have been to give them a really crappy king in the interrim, so they'd appreciate him more. David also learned much about kingship from Saul, and from his son Jonathan. Effectively, David was to become king, and all other things worked toward that end.

The Bible was translated by Hebrew scholars, the English translation clearly must be good enough.

Yes, and it says "regret", which can have several different meanings in this context.

And why are we damned? Because of Adam. Was man originally created to die? No. Death came through sin.

As I said. We sinned, and were thus seperated from God. Thus we die.

Jacob can't be wrong if this is inspired by god.

But Jacob wrote no part of the Bible, to the best of my considerable knowledge, and it is therefore not required that he have been inspired.

The name Merab does NOT appear in the Masoretic texts.

But it DOES appear in some Hebrew manuscripts, Septuagint and Syriac. Some may say otherwise, but if you have two distinct sources for a piece of information, and one of those sources gives two possibilities, then you accept the one that doesn't lead to a contradiction. Unless, of course, you're TRYING to create contradictions where they aren't necessary, which wouldn't be very scientific of you. The same applies to Ahaziah.

re: "you're a fool"

my main point is not that Jesus went to hell but that he contradicted himself

No, he didn't. He said that someone who called his brother a fool was in danger of the fires of Hell. That passage was talking about how you treat your brother. First, that would hardly apply to Jesus relationship to the hypocrites to whom he was later speaking. Second, some manuscripts qualify the entire passage by saying "without cause". Jesus was well justified in being angry. Again, don't try to create contradictions where they aren't necessary.

Why does god reward those with riches if they must give it all away for the Christ?

A) Heavenly riches don't have to be given away.

B) Even the earthly ones, when given away, can do good. You're the communist. Would you rather see $1,000,000,000 in the hands of a Christian philanthropist, or in the hands of an athiest who doesn't give a darn?

re: census

Let me quote the appropriate scriptures, so those not following along will know what I'm talking about.

II Samuel 24:9

"Joab reported the number of the fighting men to the king. In Israel there were eight hundred thousand able-bodied men who could handle a sword, and in Judah five hundred thousand."

I Chronicles 21:5-6

"Joab reported the number of the fighting men to David: in all Israel there were one million one hundred thousand men who could handle a sword, including four hundred and seventy thousand in Judah. But Joab did not include Levi and Benjamin in the numbering, because the king's command was repulsive to him."

Now Samuel says that Joab reported that there were 1.3 million fighting people in Israel. Chronicles says that Joab reported that there were 1.1 million. However, Joab didn't include Levi and Benjamin in that 1.1 million. Is it not possible that a slightly later census obtained numbers for those two tribes, and those were the numbers used by Samuel, because they were complete? It would also explain the difference in Judah's numbers. Alternatively, perhaps Chronicles lists a sort of preliminary report, or even an attempt by Joab to come quit before his job was finished. If the attempt was disallowed, Joab would have finished the census by going to Levi and Benjamin, and later reported the greater number including Benjamin and Levi, which were then used in Samuel.

There are possibilities. Thus, there is no explicit contradiction.

re: Ezra and Nehemiah singers

Ezra was a list of all the people that came the first trip back to Israel from captivity. Nehemiah said that he was reading from the geneological records that he'd found quite some time later. It's possible that the geneological records were wrong without leading to a contradiction, because an inspired writer didn't write them, to the best of our knowledge. All Nehemiah said was that that was what was written, not that it was what was true.

On the issue of blasphemy I encourage you to read verse 38. "Let it therefore be known to YOU, brothers, that through this One a forgiveness of sins is being published to YOU." If blasphemy is unforgivable, what of those who then repent and find the Lord?

Blasphemy and the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit are apparently two seperate things. The only explaination I've found is that once you've commited the unforgivable sin, you won't ASK for forgiveness, and thus of course won't receive it.

These verses are so close, but why does one say he was sold from the Midianities to the Ishmeelites and then brought into Egypt and the other says he was just sold right into Egypt?

Thing is, verse 28 doesn't make all that much sense, even on its own, at first glance.

"So when the Midianite convoy came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt."

Now if it was a Midianite convoy that came by, then why did Joseph's brothers sell him to the ISHMAELITES? One possibility: A number of manuscripts say "Medanites". Are these an identified group? If not, it's quite possible that the Medanites are simply a sub-group of the Ishmaelites, and thus we have consistancy, both within verse 28, and between it and v.36. Another possibility is that the [Midianite/Medanite] convoy for some reason included Ishmaelites, and they, after originally buying Joseph, sold him to the [Midianites/Medanites] of the convoy, who then sold him in Egypt.

The last words of Jesus are reported different in three different gospels. Inspired word of god or a story?

Matthew 27:46-50

"About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani'-- which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' When some of those standing there heard this, they said, 'He's calling Elijah.' Immediately, one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. The rest said, 'Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to save him.' And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit."

Mark 15:34-37

"And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani'-- which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' When some of those standing near heard this, they said, 'Listen, he's calling Elijah.' One man ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 'Now leave him alone. Let's see if Elijah comes to take him down,' they said. With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last."

Luke 23:46

"Jesus called out with a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.' When he had said this, he breathed his last."

John 19:28

"Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty." A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, but the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. When He had received the dring, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

Don't feel bad that you're going to get beaten on this one, Dan. I've argued this here before, during your self-imposed and all to brief sabbatical.

I fail to see the contradiction. Jesus cries out in a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit," then very quietly, where none but those standing nearby (like John) can hear him, says "It is finished." It's actually a nice little bit of continuity, that John would be the only one to hear it. He was the only writer near by. Unless, of course, you count the Gospel of Mary as "canon".

In Matthew, Judas gives the ransom price back to the chief priests and hangs himself.
In Acts, Judas buys a field with it and then "falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out."

Matthew 27:3

"When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse, and returned the thirty silver coins to the shief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility." So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It's against the law to put this into the treasury, since it's blood money." So they decided to use it to buy the potter's field as a burial place for foreigners."

Acts 1:18

"With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out."

Well, two apparent contradictions. First is, who bought the field with the money? Second is, how did Judas die?

The death can be reconciled. I'd guess (as only one possibility) that after he hanged himself, they started to bury him in the field. It was intended as a burial ground for foreigners. Perhaps Judas would qualify. We don't know that much about him. It's also possible that, since it was his money that bought it, they decided to bury him there. Not knowing Jewish funeral traditions of the day I can't give details, but either way, it's possible that when the body was being transported or buried, it was dropped, and THEN his intestines spilled out. Notice that Acts doesn't say that he died when his body burst open. He could easily have already been dead.

As for who bought the field, I know something about Greek, and "With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field;" smacks of being an ambiguous sentence. I'll have to look it up at that site Tim refered me to later.

Darn, this is taking a long time...

Matthew 16 says that, after his saying that "there be some standing here which shall not taste death" it was six days until the transfiguration. Luke 9 takes the exact same saying and makes it eight days.

Ah, Luke says "ABOUT eight days after Jesus had said this..." Not exactly eight days. Six is close enough for me.

In Mark, Simon bears the cross for Jesus. In John, it clearly states Jesus bore the cross.

Matthew 27:32

"As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross."

Mark 15:21

"A certain man from Cyrene, Simon, the father of Alexander and Rufus, was passing by on his was in from the country, and they forced him to carry the cross."

Luke 23:36

"As they led him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus."

John 19:17

"Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha)."

Crosses came in two parts, you know. Then there's the whole Catholic myth about Jesus falling beneath the load, and THEN Simon carrying the cross. It's not supported by scripture, and was probably created to cover just this problem, but it's at least feasable. Then there's the possibility that they were BOTH carrying the cross. It was a rather long device, after all.

Luke includes a second Judas as an apostle, Matthew gives a Lebbaeus Thaddaeus.

Matthew 10:2-4

"These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Him."

Luke 6:14-16

"Simon (whom He named Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thoman, James son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called the Zealot, Judas son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a trator."

I won't quote the rest of the scriptures that give the entire list. Mark 3:16-19 lists Thaddeus, whereas Acts 1:13 lists Judas son of James. You know as well as I do that people could have multiple names back then. Simon/Peter, for an example. This is reaching, even for you.

In John, following his baptism, Jesus goes to Galilee with Philip and two days later is at the wedding feast in Cana. In Mark, following his baptism, Jesus is in the wilderness forty days and tempted by Satan

No, no, NO! Would you actually READ the scripure before you start talking about it? It'd sure save me the time wasted responding to useless things like this.

The story of Christ's baptism in John is only told because John tells about John the Baptist telling others about it LONG AFTER IT HAS HAPPENED. It was two days after JohnB TOLD about His baptism that Jesus left for Galilee, not two days after the baptism itself.

re: the ruler's daughter

Don't forget Luke 8:41-56. I'll have to look up the Greek on this one, too. It's quite possible that the present and past tenses of "dying" could be confused, or even are the same.

I'll get to the last in a bit. I need a break.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited May 01, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a supposedly advanced civilization, it's amazing how little the Israelites knew about their own language. Perhaps we should work on a time machine so that Omega might go back and teach them.

"Would you rather see $1,000,000,000 in the hands of a Christian philanthropist, or in the hands of an athiest who doesn't give a darn?"

Why must we automatically assume thet the atheist can't be a philanthropist? PREJUDICE! PREJUDICE!

In fact, by the definition of 'philanthropist' : philo = lover of + anthro = mankind, one might easily reason that the money would be better spent in the atheist's hands, because he'd be more concerned with aiding the problems of THIS life than worrying about the next. After all, it does the people considerably less temporal good if the Christian philanthropist pays for a cathedral than if the Atheist buys them all fishing poles and nets...

Re: the last words of Jesus:

Then which gospel is inspired? If we follow the reasoning that a man couldn't write a falsehood if he was inspired, then how could a man write an inaccuracy if he was inspired? Surely GOD heard all the last words, and communicated that fact through His 'inspiration.'

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just sooooo depressing. Arguing about the internal contradictions of the Bible, which may or may not exist, completely ignores the POINT of the book. WHO THE HELL CARES whether or not Jesus had two geneologies or his name was mistranslated or any of the other "problems" found in this idiotic, pedantic, provincial dogma?

It is a good book. It was written by people who were trying to do some good. And it is trying to spread a message of love that many religious organizations completely ignore. They get lost in exactly what you people are discussing. Things that are secondary to the actual message.

If anyone actually believes that the people and committees who wrote, edited, selected, compiled, and produced the Bible over THOUSANDS OF YEARS were ALL inspired by God, (to put down the right words, edit the right sentences, reorder the appropriate sections, delete the correct paragraphs [most of which were due to INNACURACIES IN THE ORIGINAL TEXT, yet "inspired" innacuracies]), then you are blindly following a mass of spoonfed nonsense, as many have said.

Why do people care about these sorts of things? Why do you care about the age of so and so when he took over so and so's kingdom? Is this going to shatter your belief in God and the universe if there are minor contradictions? Will you fall down and die in shock if there is *gasp* an error in the Bible? YOU SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT THESE THINGS! THEY AREN'T IMPORTANT!

DISCLAIMER: The above beliefs are mine. If you have any problems with them or my attitude, please post submissions in the "Apology for snottiness" thread under my name in the Officer's Lounge. Thank you, and have a nice day.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, shattering Omega's (blind) belief is exactly what we're trying to do. And he asked for it. :-)

And you're wrong about the writers. The writers of the New Testament were, in fact, trying to spread the teachings of Isho', which were mostly about love, kindness, &c. But the Old Testament was written partially as a history, and partly to keep a record of the Hebrew laws as attributed to Yahweh, who, at the time, wasn't a very nice guy. The historical parts were partially old myths (Creation, Flood, Exodus, &c.), and partially a record of the "prophets", since the Jews believed their prophecies would eventually be fulfilled. However, the OT, comprising the majority of the bible, was not about "love" and such. It was just about religion.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the best writing in the world don't mean shit if looked at literally, you must look behind what is written and look at what is meant, fundies don't do this, they get caught up on the literal translation of everything and as such are unenlightened dumbasses, nuff said.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just look at anything written by Steinbeck. Sad an nonsensical on the surface, horribly depressing and overloaded with symbolism when looked at more deeply.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, considering the first gospel wasn't written until about 50 years after Jesus's "death," it's not really surprising that they couldn't agree on things.

And another thing. Parts of the Hebrew Scriptures, Genesis perhaps, may have been passed through oral tradition at one time. In oral tradition, the point is not to memorize the exact words of every story (which you're gonna mix up eventually anyway), but to remember the spirit of the story and how it makes sense to YOU. Thus everyone would have a slightly different story, as the four gospels do, but it doesn't matter because the idea is the same. There is no wisdom in how many people were here at this time. There is no wisdom in which inscription on Jesus's cross was the right one. You talk about giving up earthly things, yet you hang on to numbers and semantics for dear life. If you went to heaven and Jesus said to you, "I died at 34, not 33" or even "The Creation story was a parable"--What would you do? Break down and beg for forgiveness? Do you really think Jesus would care about THAT? You "get" religion, but you can't really grasp Spirituality, can you?

------------------
"I was as dead as a lesbian black chick at a republican fundraiser."
--Burns Flipper, The Longest Journey

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited May 02, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ziyal, should I get The Longest Journey? I'm in need of an adventure fix, but I want something that will stand next to Grim Fandango and its like proudly.

Also, while we're waiting for the Pope's callback, what about the Eastern Orthodox folks? Or the Coptics? Or heaven forbid, the Gnostics. Though they'll likely just point us toward VALIS.

(See how clever I am? See! VALIS!)

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fo2:

" the definition of 'philanthropist' : philo = lover of + anthro = mankind, "

Now who's messing with semantics and definitions, hmm?

I'm the first to admit that an unhealthy obsession with definitions and the like is just that: unhealthy and counterproductive. But there's a time for it, too. Many of the problems in this thread seem to stem from the fact that different posters have different ideas about what the various words mean. Just flicking through, I see disagreements on the meaning of assorted Hebrew words, what 'the Bible' is, and what constitues a contradiction. There is an old saying: "You cannot argue with someone who denies the first principles."

Omega:

Sorry, should have made my request a little more specific. From 1.1 up to the end of Day 1 should be fine, thanks. For no apparent reason, my University library doesn't seem to have a copy of the Bible (or if it does, it's damn well hidden).

TSN:

About "shattering Omega's (blind) faith" as the objective: be careful. Very careful. While you might enjoy "enlightening" him, and could "shatter his faith", you'd likley leave what I've heard referred to as a "God-shaped" gap in his belief system. You wouldn't enlighten him, just make him unhappy. This isn't meant to be a sermon, just a warning that debates like this are playing with things dear to people's hearts.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sol, what's wrong with Monkey Island 4, eh?

I know this is going back a bit, but OMega said that Catholics probably wouldn't have an "official" version of the bible, because they tend to do everything in Latin.

Er, you do know that Catholic masses are in English, don't you Omega? Sooooooo, they probably do have an "official" version of the Bible. Or is the priest just suppossed to go to his local market and pick up "Honest Sam's Modern Bible for Dudes" and teach from that?

In fact, if I could be arsed, I'd probably try and find out which one it is. I'd guess it might be the Good News version, but I'm not sure (that seemed to be the one I encountered most at school).

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Daniel
Member # 453

Understood Eclipse, but what I think is so damnable about the whole thing is that Omega is ASKING for invalidation of his treasured dogma.

------------------

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omega put on a lot of weight so when sliding thorough time he got stuck somewhere in the 16th century(or maybe further back). Now all that we are doing is responding to his plea for help and getting him unstuck so he can join us all here in the 21st.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liam: Well, as I noted above, the Catholic Church doesn't really care about the specific wording of the Bible because the point has been conceded that the literal details of the text are less important than the message. Hence, there isn't an "official" translation. Nonetheless, you are correct in pointing out that the Good News Bible is the most commonly used one in Catholic circles, and I believe the Lectionary used in amost English-lanuguage Catholic masses is based on it. As for what the pope uses, who knows? I do know that he likes 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I can't tell you whether his translational tastes are the same as Omega's.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bible that I got from "Sunday School" back in High School is The New American Bible - For Catholics (With Revised New Testament & Revised Book of Psalms).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps