Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago, a coworker came over to my place to watch some episodes of Futurama. He saw my DS9 box sets, and admitted that he'd been a fan of TNG, but had never been able to watch DS9 because of the inconsitency of its airing where he lived at the time.

So I lent him season one. Then I lent him season two. And so on. Two weeks ago, I got a frantic call from him. He'd just watched "Call to Arms" and was desperate for season six - which, he just informed me yesterday, he has now finished.

It really is amazing watching someone experience this show for the first time. At the end of every season, I ask him what he expects for the coming season. He's never been right - he expected DS9 to be retaken by the first episode of the sixth season, and as for his predictions of season seven:

Sisko communicates with the Prophets to reopen the wormhole and restore Jadzia Dax to life; the War will be over by the middle of the season and the remainder of the season will focus on Bajor's assistance in rebuilding Cardassia; Sisko will retire to live on Bajor; Damar, Weyoun, Nog, and Garak all die at some point.

Well ... he's in for quite the shocker. [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mumble something about Kira getting killed....really, he'll cry.
It'll be funny.

It's cool to hear someone's reaction to DS9.
Such a leap over TNG.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed - I've been praising DS9 since "Emissary" - it was my first Trek - i love TNG to pieces - but DS9 is 'it'. I'll never forget getting videos from the States of various episodes of season 3 and 4 (before the net was common place people). I would have been one of the first to have seen "The Way of the Warrior". I can still remember - not moving even in my seat for the entire two hours of "The Way of the Warrior". My arms didn't even move - except one to fastforward ads.

I remember in 1997 when I first got on the 'net how DS9 was treated and bashed so badly... I was a lone voice among millions lauding the greatness of DS9. Then all of a sudden people saw the light... well not all people. There are still LOTS who steer away from DS9 as being the rotten apple in the trek fruit salad. Quite the contrary - DS9 is the delicious cherry on the top of a trek cake.

But here i'm preaching to the converted.

If DS9 was two steps forward - Voyager was one step back (or one step forward with the other leg). [Smile]

I said it in another thread (can anyone remember which one it was?) DS9 has some amazing episodes - and i stand fast by my claim that "The Visitor" is the best hour of Television ever made.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sisko communicates with the Prophets to reopen the wormhole and restore Jadzia Dax to life..."

Now, to be fair, we all knew about Nicole deBoer joining the cast before season seven started, so he can't really be blamed for such a prediction, since he didn't have the same information.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish Terry Farrel never left/got pushed out. Even though Ezri was cute - too much of season seven was lent over to introducing Ezri and giving her some sort of a storyline.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh . . . DS9. In a way I'm glad to have experienced the latter seasons the same way your coworker has.

I've been doing something similar with a coworker of mine. He was a Voyager fan with all seven seasons downloaded in TVrips. I got those, and he's been borrowing and watching DS9.

It's so great to show Voyager fans the light. Truly, I don't see how one can be a big Voyager fan after seeing all of DS9 . . . there is so much wasted potential in Voyager.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the story on Terry Farrell leaving the show? I thought she was just ready to move on to something else. Was there more to it?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I knew, she got a job on "Becker", knew DS9 was going to be ending after one more year, and wanted a steady paycheck ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then she left Becker a year before THAT ended. Apparently got fired.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: "There are still LOTS who steer away from DS9 as being the rotten apple in the trek fruit salad. Quite the contrary - DS9 is the delicious cherry on the top of a trek cake."

That's perhaps the worst analogy I've ever heard, sir.
No, seriously, I have to run to the bathroom now because I haven't gotten such an urge to shit in years. Jesus. It's like vogon poetry.

That being said, I agree with your sentiment, DS9 was special.
I like Voyager too, though, it entertained the way it was supposed to, for me and my friends. Every new episode was a visit to the Trek-world, and the first minute you didn't even know what was going to happen. Mmm...

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
What was the story on Terry Farrell leaving the show? I thought she was just ready to move on to something else. Was there more to it?

The version put out there by Richard Arnold was that she asked for more money or she'd leave and was told that she wasn't worth it and that she'd be lucky to ever get another acting job again.

Make of that what you will. Given its source I'd be highly sceptical.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
AndrewR: "There are still LOTS who steer away from DS9 as being the rotten apple in the trek fruit salad. Quite the contrary - DS9 is the delicious cherry on the top of a trek cake."

That's perhaps the worst analogy I've ever heard, sir.
No, seriously, I have to run to the bathroom now because I haven't gotten such an urge to shit in years. Jesus. It's like vogon poetry.

LOL! Classic [Smile]

Thankyou - I must have just had fruit salad or cake when I typed that. [Smile]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, the DS9 run ends this week. Dan is coming over tonight, and we're going to start watching the final 10-part chapter. Probably have to finish it up later this week ... oh well! [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wish Terry Farrel never left/got pushed out. Even though Ezri was cute - too much of season seven was lent over to introducing Ezri and giving her some sort of a storyline.
I didn't think she was cute. I thought she was annoying. And you're right, like a fourth of the episodes in the season were directly or indirectly focusing on this new person who we all knew we'd only be seeing for twenty-five episodes before the series ended. Like, who cares about this person? Jadzia was my least favorite DS9 character anyway, and Ezri was no better.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, Dan came over, and we watched the first five episodes of the final 10-episode arc. He's still trying to guess who dies - he thinks Gowron is going to kill Martok (directly or indirectly), is certain Kassidy is going to bite it, and is pretty sure Quark is a goner. He also predicts Ross gets killed and Sisko gets promoted to his place.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps