Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Dan's Survey of Deep Space Nine
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Didn't it use her councling powers? Which could have been changed, granted.

Wasn't part of Farrel's complains based around the fact that, for the previous two years, there was no such thing as a "Dax" episode. They were all "Dax & Worf" episodes.

Boo Hoo: she certainly had enough "all Dax" episodes prior to the relationship with Worf thing.
Not all great either.

It's a silly complaint: imagine Avery Brooks bitching because great episodes centered on Sisko and Dukat.

One makes the other far more intresting.
God knows I never wanted to see Worf outside the TNG cast when their series ended but his character actually became cool on DS9.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Didn't it use her councling powers? Which could have been changed, granted.

Wasn't part of Farrel's complains based around the fact that, for the previous two years, there was no such thing as a "Dax" episode. They were all "Dax & Worf" episodes.

Something like that - and the we GET a 'Dax-only' story with the sniper-Vulcan.

Also - that there was NO backstory given to Jadzia (i.e. not Dax) - we heard her mention her mother ONCE - that was it. Then we get an Ezri story and she goes back home!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite true, Jadzia mentions a sister in "Bar Association" and we find out that she flunked out from the Symbiosis comission in "Equilbrim"
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then the whole exlover lezzy kiss ep, and the one where the rest of the crew get to 'be' her former hosts...and "Meridian" was another Dax focused ep.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but those are about Dax, not Jadzia as Andrew said.

Which never made much sense to me. It would surely have the same effect on space travel as a small puddle in Egypt has on Earth-type travel.

Well, the thing WAS right in the path of the jump gate, ala "Soul Hunter". Which was completely idiotic. But anyway.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

Well, the thing WAS right in the path of the jump gate, ala "Soul Hunter". Which was completely idiotic. But anyway.

The could have moved the Jump Gate - plus what else besides the Great Machine is in the Epsilon System? They/he could have given it a more grand reason as to it's destruction. I.e. a problem had developed in it's core - that was unfixable - so instead of leaving it derilict for squatters which mich end up getting killed when the core went critical - destroy it now - for everyone's safety.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shrug* The whole point was that Babylon 5's destruction was ironic, for lack of a better word. From various events in season one including the prophetess in Signs and Portents, you were supposed to get the idea that Babylon 5 would be destroyed in some great battle or last stand.

Instead, Babylon 5's success paved the way for its eventual destruction. Giving a grand reason for its destruction would have ruined the whole point.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I beg to differ: the episode with the crew taking on the personalities of prior hosts was all about Jadiza.
Her fears and what drove her to re-apply for joining.

Besides, we learned only snippetts about Sisko before he changed over to the command track or really anything of substance about O'Brien's family (besides a brief line about his father getting remarried.) We never see even a picture on the wall of the crew's families.

Must be that darn Cardassian alloy. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wouldn't they have small holos instead of pictures, like Data's Yar?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Worf had a standard photo of Alexander in his belongings in WOTW.

I was just watching the (awful) episode with Riva and his "chorus" and Picard used a small holo (CGI) to show Riker the system's erratic planetary orbits. It's odd that while such SFX was present in the first few seasons, it dwindled to the use of display screens by TNG's end.

You'd think with the holo-nonsense on Voyager they could've spiced up the briefings with holography.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
*shrug* The whole point was that Babylon 5's destruction was ironic, for lack of a better word. From various events in season one including the prophetess in Signs and Portents, you were supposed to get the idea that Babylon 5 would be destroyed in some great battle or last stand.

Instead, Babylon 5's success paved the way for its eventual destruction. Giving a grand reason for its destruction would have ruined the whole point.

A core-malfunction is hardly a 'grand' reason - just makes more sense than 'traffic obstruction'.

And wasn't the timeline to the destruction of B5 in a great battle or stand the future that would have occured if the events in "War Without End" didn't come to fruition.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Babylon 5 sucked ass after the Shadows turned out to be such whiney pussies.
And people talk about DS9's war ending with a fizzle. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:

I beg to differ: the episode with the crew taking on the personalities of prior hosts was all about Jadiza.
Her fears and what drove her to re-apply for joining.

"Facets" was great - but that, season 1's "Dax", "Blood Oath" and "Equilibrium" were the only other real 'Jadzia Dax' episodes. OK What I (and I guess Terry) mean is that there was no more added to the Dax character after "Facets" - there were so many avenues to go from after that episode.

Everything after with Jadzia: "Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places", "You Are Cordially Invited" etc. were all about her courtship with Worf.

Then Along comes Ezri and we have like 3 or four episodes that revolve around her. She probably should have remained a 'supporting cast member' and not a full blown cast member.

Besides, we learned only snippetts about Sisko before he changed over to the command track or really anything of substance about O'Brien's family (besides a brief line about his father getting remarried.) We never see even a picture on the wall of the crew's families.

Must be that darn Cardassian alloy. [Wink]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Holy crap: I dont recall typing half of that. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's odd that while such SFX was present in the first few seasons, it dwindled to the use of display screens by TNG's end."

It probably took more time, money, and effort. In the early seasons, they say "wow, look at this neat effect we can show off so everyone can see how far ahead of TOS this is". Later on, though, it just wouldn't be worth it.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps